Thinking about switching from DRZ to RM 250..will I regret this?

I have a 2000 DRZ400E that has been great. I switched from an RM 125 to this bike and it has almost killed me several times when it has landed on me. The 125 was so light. I've found a killer deal on an 02 RM 250. I know I am gonna miss the e-start but I know Suzuki's start first kick most of the time anyhow. I know I won't miss the weight issues, I am tired just after unloading it off the trailer. Is there anything I should look for on this 250? Am I gonna be working on it all the time? Thanks for your input!!

Scott

Peoria, Az

I have a 2000 DRZ400E that has been great. I switched from an RM 125 to this bike and it has almost killed me several times when it has landed on me. The 125 was so light. I've found a killer deal on an 02 RM 250. I know I am gonna miss the e-start but I know Suzuki's start first kick most of the time anyhow. I know I won't miss the weight issues, I am tired just after unloading it off the trailer. Is there anything I should look for on this 250? Am I gonna be working on it all the time? Thanks for your input!!

Scott

Peoria, Az

Honestly, I have neglected my bike. :banghead: I am waiting for it to bite me. Over 3 years, I have replaced my top end once, not because something happened but becuase I had the kit around that I received when I bought my bike from its previous owner (it was only used a couple times...in cherry condition)

Keep the air filter clean, and chain lubed and ride. I change my oil about 3 times a year. Once when winter/wet season starts once after and once in the summer. I ride year round.

I have replaced my linkage bearings and shock bearings. I have a set of wheel bearings to go in as they need them too.

Don't know why...?

l_7ecdeafcaeca43a2b17938cdc80a3fb1.jpg

LOL

My Trail Rider magazine debut. :worthy:

Keep her breathing clean air, lubed sufficiently, and the bearings greased and it will be pretty low maintenance. Nothing that you wouldn't have to do on any bike. Oh, and repack your muffler.

Scott

Peoria, Az

Is the bike difficult to unload off the trailer or are you just tired at the end of the ride?

I gotta say loading up my 250 two stroke* into my tallish pickup is a breeze due to the light weight and the long ramp I use. Slinging it under gates might be an easy chore too but I wouldn't know that one for sure.**

No, you won't be working on it all the time.***

*not necessarily one that wears yellow plastics

** only to access fully public land that is legal to ride?

*** unless you're a freak like me who enjoys that sort of thing

the rm is a lighter feeling bike for sure i don't know the exact weight diferance probubly only 35lbs but it feels like 100 becouse of the weight distribution the drz is a good offraoder and is cnvienient with electric start and tractor like gearing the rm is a whole diferant beast, you cant lug it around like the drz becouse its a two stroke and too much gass and its up in the air with the front wheel, lots of fun to ride and a better handler for sure i would say get it as you allready have the experience on the 125 but the 250 has alot of power and some of its not as usable as the drz depending on your riding style I saw get the rm stay in the pipe keep you behind off the seat and hope for the best snappy turns and good throttle controll will get you anywere you need to go enjoy:thumbsup:

i couldn't make the "switch" so i just turned a dr-z into an rm250:p, but no the rm250 is must lighter and more flickable, but the dr-z has its place, i still have a dr-z in the garage along side the "d-rm-z250sm"

Unrelated, sorry.

Rob, Sory I haven't sent the pipe out yet, but I am too cheap to buy a box so I am waiting for 1 to come in. I also haven't been anywhere near the UPS store.

You won't regret it. I have had a 02 YZ 250 and a 2000 DRZ 400E for the last few years. After I got used to the feel of the two stroke, I hated riding the DRZ. I often found myself getting into trouble because I would try to raise the front wheel of the DRZ with the flick of a throttle like I do on the YZ. Instead I would end up hitting the obstacle wrong. The DRZ S model is the ultimate all purpose bike, but as far as off road goes the E model is just out classed in too many areas. I traded the DRZ for an 01 RM 250 and I love the bike. The DRZ is a dependable platform, but the feel of an MX two stroke in the woods is hard to beat. Now take in consideration that a four hour ride wipes me out on the YZ, but it sure puts a smile on my face. Where as I could ride the DRZ all day and never feel tired.

• Like 1

I could ride the DRZ all day and never feel tired.

agreed, the dr-z is better for long hauls, the dr-z can't beat the rm250 in the technical stuff, the rm's lightness, flickability and and strong power delivery makes it perfect for the trails that would kill you on a dr-z

I got rid of a 2006 drz and bought a 2003 rm 250. I had a few problems when I first got it but after getting the bike right I love it. I don't even have a desire to ride a drz again I love my 2 stroke. My riding has gotten way better. I think the flywheel weight was the best investment. I can ride my rm in harescrambles and jump right into the mx track and still do all the jumps. You would die trying that on a drz unless you are travis pastrana.

Oh yeah I can't have both bikes like I would like, I do love the DRZ. One more thing, if I redo the top end will I have to send the cylinder off to have it replated like my friend had to do with his ragged a$$ honda cr??? Thanks for the replies, someone here at work even wants to buy my DR so this is all gonna happen pretty fast.

the 02 rm has kind of a top end screamer power band so you might try to stick it out for something newer. 04 - good, 05 - great, 06 - awesome. for woods that is. i have an 05 with a rad valve, reed spacer and extra exhaust gaskets (both tuning tricks for bottom end power). 13-53 sprocket. and powervalve set to come into play earlier than stock. let me tell you this thing is all you need for woods. will easily flip backwards in 4th just rollin on the throttle. i cant even imagine how good an 06 would be for woods as they are already ported/tuned for more low end. hope this helps