Sign in to follow this  

What to do?

I am bringing new life to the 00 125 i just bought and ran into a little snag and need some advice.. The piece that holds the bottom rear of the rad plastic is broke off and i cant find anywhere that has just the bracket for sale. Am i going to have to have one made or does someone have a suggestion. I just dont like having the ziptie there anymore.

Supposed to look like (right side)

017.jpg

What it does look like (left side)

018.jpg

I don't think you'll be able to order something like that since its pretty much part of the frame. I don't know a whole lot about welding but I'm pretty sure you could get a piece machined and then get welded on by a professional. I don't know what kind of aluminum alloy the frames are made of but I know that a lot of times aluminum alloys can be prone to cracking when welded on, so getting someone who knows what their doing would be important. Especially on something like your frame.

Drive to a place that specializes in welding, bring the frame with you or a picture at least and tell them what you want to do and they will probably be able to tell you if they can/can't and how much.

Since the piece doesn't need to be fancy looking as the plastic will cover it up, I would assume it wouldn't be too expensive or difficult for someone to do.

Funny you should ask this because on my 2001 CR125 I am "refreshing" after purchase, I have the SAME EXACT ISSUE (see my pics of tie wraps here in TT thread as you. Apparently, the 00-01 all had the same design and most are broken off. If you go look at the 2002 and beyond, you can see that they re-designed the tab to a backet that fits alongside the frame rail vs. beneath it.

I think even if you wanted to pay the $$ to fix it, they would break off again. What I am doing is getting a cushioned metal cable clamp and wrapping that around the frame, then using it to attach the back of the plastic. Better than the tie-wraps (so ugly) but still "movable" in case I do hit it so that nothing else breaks in the process.

Would appreciate it if you have any other ideas letting me know so I can try it. Also, I have issues / questions on my 01 and since ours are the same, might be good if we could trade some learnings on them so we can get our bikes together.

I am having issues with what year / model radiators fit these bikes (like, will a 2002 work) as my radiators are trashed.

Those clamps may work, I will try one this weekend and let you know.. But yea i am more than happy to share or help with any questions with your bike.

I think the 00-01 rads are the only ones that work, but im not sure

I will know soon on the radiators as I bought a used 2002 and it looks like only one tube is different.

What other items are you focusing on right now?

What drive / wheel sprockets are you running? I am taking mine back to 12t / 52t stock and then will adjust from there. My understanding is the 01's had a terrible bottom-end as there was too much volume in the jug...hopefully these gearing changes will help.

Mine ran before I started fixing things but they needed some love. I have replaced exhaust parts, added used pro circuit silencer, new chain, drive and wheel sprockets, tons of little parts (like new tubes, re-tiewrap stuff, etc.), gear lever, handlebar grips, need to fix gas tank (one of the embedded nuts is not there and its filled with rubber), had forks re-sealed (leaking bad).

Need to check jetting, carb and maybe replace the reed. That is all new to me so we will see how that goes.

Todd

I will know soon on the radiators as I bought a used 2002 and it looks like only one tube is different.

What other items are you focusing on right now?

What drive / wheel sprockets are you running? I am taking mine back to 12t / 52t stock and then will adjust from there. My understanding is the 01's had a terrible bottom-end as there was too much volume in the jug...hopefully these gearing changes will help.

Mine ran before I started fixing things but they needed some love. I have replaced exhaust parts, added used pro circuit silencer, new chain, drive and wheel sprockets, tons of little parts (like new tubes, re-tiewrap stuff, etc.), gear lever, handlebar grips, need to fix gas tank (one of the embedded nuts is not there and its filled with rubber), had forks re-sealed (leaking bad).

Need to check jetting, carb and maybe replace the reed. That is all new to me so we will see how that goes.

Todd

I have replaced all plastics, gave it a new color scheme, well some. New graphics.. And huge tear down and clean, New filter, fmf shorty, getting new sprocket set ( stock front, 53t rear) going up one tooth in the back. All new hardware and replacing broken things.. Here is my build http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742816&highlight=

Great stuff on your post! I did do the Rental Alum back sprocket, so we will see how it lasts versus the steel they pointed you to. I was thinking that to help with lower end, the alum would be less weight at the backend to turn and thus some incremental increase - probably just fake but we will see. Mine is more for trail and beginner MX track fun with my son.

I have that air filter, new plastics all the way around, seat. Came with an ugly seat cover but nice, so going to keep it for now. Doing simple graphics from Decal Works once its done.

More later.

Great stuff on your post! I did do the Rental Alum back sprocket, so we will see how it lasts versus the steel they pointed you to. I was thinking that to help with lower end, the alum would be less weight at the backend to turn and thus some incremental increase - probably just fake but we will see. Mine is more for trail and beginner MX track fun with my son.

I have that air filter, new plastics all the way around, seat. Came with an ugly seat cover but nice, so going to keep it for now. Doing simple graphics from Decal Works once its done.

More later.

same here.. Yea i got all the stuff excepet for sprockets and rad shrouds which i will be getting tomorrow and will get the graphics on them this week. Should be done by next weekend