Sign in to follow this  

I was bored today

I was bored today and decided to roll some 1 1/2 pipe and make a tire change stand, this is just the beginning of the project. I'll post more pictures as I go along.

001-1.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

not bad, not bad at all... I would have made the base a little bit larger than the top ring to make it harder to tip over... but that should work fine.

you should get some little rubber feet that you can screw on so that it wont slide across the floor... or get some really rubbery hose (as apposed to plastic hose that will slide) and wrap it all the way around. :lol:

nice work. I use an old gear oil drum... it was free..

I was using a car tire and rim, then I sold them last week.

not bad, not bad at all... I would have made the base a little bit larger than the top ring to make it harder to tip over... but that should work fine.

you should get some little rubber feet that you can screw on so that it wont slide across the floor... or get some really rubbery hose (as apposed to plastic hose that will slide) and wrap it all the way around. :lol:

The top is 16'' centerline and the bottom is 18'', hard to tell in the picture. I'm going to put a bar in the middle of the base and a pin coming upward to go in the hub shaft to stabilize the wheel. Also maybe a couple of foot pads on the base to put my feet in to keep it from moving across the floor.

Sweet. Maybe you should put a patent it. I know one thing for sure changing tires has to be up the top of the list of worse things to do especially if your at a track and on a time limit. I dread changing tires.

Sweet. Maybe you should put a patent it. I know one thing for sure changing tires has to be up the top of the list of worse things to do especially if your at a track and on a time limit. I dread changing tires.

Thanks, I know a guy that knows a professional supercross/motocross racer who wants me to fabricate one that is tall enough so he doesn't have to bend over and also he wants it mounted to the floor of his trailer, I quoted a price of $150.00 which is a steal.

that is a very nice piece. i hate changing tires on the ground but i cant afford a real tire changing stand.

Here's my progress, I used 1/2'' rod for the front wheel it's welded to the base cross beam and 3/4'' pipe to go over it for the rear, it's removable. Also I'm making some foot pads for the base to give me some leverage.

001-2.jpg

002-7.jpg

Here's a little update on the progress, got everything welded out and painted, I'm making the footpads tomorrow.

thats sweet!! be sure to tell us as it works! also if you are gonna start fabbing some up to sell id prolly definately buy one cause its getting expensive giving the shop $25 bucks a tire to mount!

Thanks, I'm waiting on a drawing from this guy who races supercross, he wants one made of aluminum.

BTW was the welding done by a Heli-arc or mig? It looked like it was done by a TIG by the looks of the first pic.

If so what kind of tig welder do you have?

BTW was the welding done by a Heli-arc or mig? It looked like it was done by a TIG by the looks of the first pic.

If so what kind of tig welder do you have?

Yeah, it was TIG welded, I have the Miller AC/DC 165 Diversion, they just came out with it. It does an awesome job on aluminum.

CIMG2783.jpg

Here's a couple videos, one is the fabrication and tacking of the foot stand, I was fumbling around in the beginning, I made it removable and wide enough to put some knee pads on it.

That last video is pretty cool! Next, I would make a comfy seat with a backrest for the top for you, and invite your girlfriend over to try out that nifty knee gig you set up! :worthy::banghead::lol:

hows this thing work? i dont get it

You put the wheel on the rod in the middle to stabilize it and then you hook the foot stand onto the the base to stand on or kneel on for more leverage, have you ever seen this one from zipty? Mine is to suit my needs.

TIRE-CHNG-STND_is.jpg