Which helmet for the DR?

I am looking for, not just any helmet but, "the right helmet" to wear with the DR650 that I just got last Fall. I ride a little more on road than off road. I am looking at a Shoei Hornet DS. Any thoughts? What does everyone like?

Just traded my Yamaha FZ6 and the full road helmet will be way too hot.

i have a drz400s and couldnt decide on road or dirtbike helmet so i got both

I recommend one for offroad and one for the road.

Flea

Or get one that does both.

I haven't tried the Hornet but I'd bet it's a great helmet.

I am using the Shoei Multitec. I've done a couple Baja trips and a trip from SF Bay area to Colorado and back via Nevada, Utah, lots of off road in Utah.

3500 miles. The Multitec was great .... even in 118f in Death Valley.

Main thing I like is that it's quiet. Very quiet for a flip-up style helmet.

I also have two dirt helmets (HJC) but they don't cut it when doing 400 mile days. My other street helmet is the Arai RX-7. (top of the line) Also very quiet.

No matter what .... don't forget your ear plugs kids.

Patrick:ride:

I've been using the Shoei DS hornet. It's a great dualsporting helmet (as long as it fits right, most important factor). It's just like an MX helmet in the dirt and when you're back on the street just flip down the lense and its like a full face, nice and quiet. There are 2 minor problems with the design, 1 it still gets a little push around at high speeds because of the shape (not bad but it is there) and 2 the sun visor is too high/short to adequately block the sun when it is low on the horizon (morning, evening). It has great ventilation with the vents open comes with a chin-skirt to keep out wind. And yes, you can wear goggles with the lens up or down.

I ended up getting the tinted lense and when I put it down 1 click from up it solves the short visor problem.

Overall I'm completely satisfied with the helmet... it looks really cool too. Just make sure it fits properly, that's always going to be the most important factor on longer rides and in terms of the helmet functioning properly.

Thanks for the info. I have ordered the Shoei Hornet DS. I am between a medium and a large. I ordered the medium due to the fact that I know it has to fit snug, especially with the visor. This is the most expensive helmet I have ever had so if it doesn't fit right, I will send it back and go for the larger size.

Thanks for the info. I have ordered the Shoei Hornet DS. I am between a medium and a large. I ordered the medium due to the fact that I know it has to fit snug, especially with the visor. This is the most expensive helmet I have ever had so if it doesn't fit right, I will send it back and go for the larger size.

Unless it's really really too tight .... DO NOT send it back. It will loosen up in a month of use or so. Not only should it fit a bit snug for safety for also for sound. Once you start sweating in the thing it will end up just right.

Unless you've way underestimated your head size.

With my Multitec, in the shop the Large felt better. Now, a year later, the Medium is perfect and not sloppy and not at all too tight. Stick with the Medium!

When I bought my bike, I got a KBC full face street helmet to go with it in XL. Now three years later I'm wishing I had gone with a 2x instead. I've got a 2x offroad helmet the fits and feels a lot better.

i have a drz400s and couldnt decide on road or dirtbike helmet so i got both

Zeus 2100b adventure helmet.

Get some side-bolts and it becomes a Zeus 2100 road helmet.

The Shoei Hornet is one of the best helmets I have ever owned. One hundred percent satisfaction. Best price available from Riders Discount.

I had a dedicated dirt (Axo MX) and street helmet (Shoei RF1000) and would choose depending on where the ride would take me. Obviously the street helmet is much nicer on the highway, quieter, less wind, less deflection, less noise etc. It also fogs up less than the offroad helmet with MX goggles thanks to the Pinlock insert. But when going slow in hot weather you do miss the extra ventilation and the beak for the sun.

I then bought a Shoei Hornet as an all-round dual sport and travel helmet. Seems to be a great compromise so far. Noise is pretty decent even on the highway, and the visor is really nice. I drilled mine to accept a Pinlock insert as well (the European version comes with one stock) so it never ever fogs up. For winter riding I am thinking about fitting the Shoei chin curtain I also use on my RF1000 to reduce cold air even more. The beak is a bit short but that's why it's not too bad in winds on the highway. The visor is also hard to change out so you can't just swap out for a tinted one during sunny rides. Overall I am very happy with the purchase and would get one again.

I wear a full face street helmet with polarized coated shield, along with sunglasses.

At the dirt i flip the outer shield up and keep the sunglasses on.

whatever you buy, make sure it has REMOVABLE PADDING that can be washed.

makes all the difference in the world !!!!!!!!! :lol:

I have an Arai XD that I am very happy with. I came very close to getting the Shoei Hornet until I priced out a replacement faceshield. They are nearly $80!!:lol: That's way too much to pay for something I know I will be using to bash through the brush. The Arai shield isn't cheap but it's closer to half the price of the Shoei shield.

Right now, Cyclegear has HJC full carbon fiber helmets on sale for $199. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

NVDESERTKID is correct. The fit is critical. Cannnot be stressed enough.

I tried the Arai XD and the Hornet. Both fantastic. The Arai has a std. length motocross style (longer) visor. The Hornet visor is a little shorter, which I preferred for looks and the fact that wind grabs it a bit less on the freeway. Still can feel it though. As my DR is just a blast around town commuter for the most part...no real wind issues for me.

Unless you ride a lot of highway speeds, without a functional fairing, either is a great helmet. The Hornet DS has removable inner parts that allow for a perfect fit. Yes, all those parts and the face shield are expensive though. I got a large then swapped for thinner cheek pads and now it's perfect in every way. I had minor fogging when stopped in traffic last fall, but the temps were in the 30's so it's to be expected with the faceshield closed I suppose.

As far as the shorter visor of the Hornet...it's not been an issue for me even on my rides in the evening (low sun).

I liked the Hornet DS so much that I coughed up the coin for a second one, for use on my sport ATV, down on the Oregon sand dunes.

Flea

I agree with Flea, two helmets are better than one if you can afford it I find the mx helmet very noisy on the road but great in the dirt (airflow).

Last year I got an HJC Vapour Dual Sport. I really like the very large visor. Large field of vision and it is super light...I believe lighter than the ARAI even and much cheaper.

Unless it's really really too tight .... DO NOT send it back. It will loosen up in a month of use or so. Not only should it fit a bit snug for safety for also for sound. Once you start sweating in the thing it will end up just right.

Unless you've way underestimated your head size.

With my Multitec, in the shop the Large felt better. Now, a year later, the Medium is perfect and not sloppy and not at all too tight. Stick with the Medium!

True, mine packed in quite a bit after about a month of wearing /sweating in it last summer. If it's tight but doesn't hurt anywhere keep it because it will give some. If it's not even close and is obviously the wrong size you'll know when you put it on.