new to the cr

Well im new to the cr and the dirtbike world. well not the dirtbike world in general ive followed dirtbikes and etc my whole life but ive never owned a dirtbike. i have ridden them a couple times but never owned one because i am a evil quad racer i have been racing quads for the past 4 years of my life. So i am no dumb ass when it comes to turning wrenches and modern 4 strokes. I currently race a yfz 450 and ill include a pic. But anyway I just bought a 1989 cr250. i purchased it from a friend in need of quick money i got it for 100 dollars. The bike for being as old as i am is not that beat up but it does not run he told me that it was recently rebuilt and that one of his friends layed the bike down in some water and then picked it back up the bike was still running. but has since locked up . So i plan on taking the motor out and having it rebuilt then riding this thing. I just want to know if theres anything i need to know about older crs or anything about crs in general. i will include a picture of my quad just so you guys know im not a dumb person when it comes to wrenching.

thanks for any help

James

000_0249.jpg

000_0248.jpg

Start by pulling the cylinder. If the cylinder is in good shape and the crank still does not spin free, you need new main bearings and will have to split the cases. By that point, you will know everything about the condition of the motor. That is a fast motor in that frame, the suspension may leave something to be desired. Hopefully this bike will convert you so you can stop holding us two-wheelers up on the trails and stop making us off roaders look bad because the 4-wheelers keep getting hurt.

Its not the 4 wheelers themselves but the people that ride them. As the saying goes its not the arrow but the indian but anyway thanks for the heads up i was told that ths is a fast motor. If i do need new main bearrings how much should it cost to rebuild the motor.

thanks James

You can use the Thumpertalk store to look up exactly what you need. I would suggest calling them because the store website can get kind of confusing, but the people that work there are very friendly and helpful.

Obviously you'll need a full gasket kit if your splitting the cases. So that and whatever you find needing replaced will determine your cost.

A full engine rebuild, top and bottom end runs about 300-400 dollars for a 2-stroke. That includes gaskets and such. If the jug and everything else look good then that will be your worst case scenario price.

There's nothing specific to know about the CR 250. In short, they're a real blast to ride. Just make sure you go over it with a fine toothed comb and make sure it's safe to ride before letting it all hang out. The 250 isn't a terrible "starter" dirtbike but it needs to be respected. The '89 still makes over 50 horsepower on the crankshaft and ridden properly makes a tremendously fun (but fast) trail machine.

My best advice is before pouring money into mods you probably don't need (tempting though it may seem with all those shiny aftermarket expansion chambers out there), get the bike solidly rebuilt and jetted first before doing anything. In stock trim they're really fun bikes and plenty fast when tuned right.

One more thing, I've yet to find a MX bike of that vintage that isn't all bashed up frame wise. Check that the frame is straight. If it isn't, ride the bike gingerly to see if it rides straight. If it rides straight and you're better judgement says its safe to ride, then ride the heck out of it - but I usually avoid jumping the really tweaked up examples.

Main bearings and seals cost about $70, a gasket set to split the cases is another $70. A crank rebuild if the conrod bearing is bad is around $100-150. With a bike that old, I assume the cylinder has a sleeve, it will cost around $60 to bore it and a new piston and wrist pin bearing will run from $75-160 depending on brand and source. In the end, a complete rebuild will run you close to $400 but is worth it if you intend to ride the bike.