slipper clutch

That isn't a slipper clutch.

As far as the benefits of a slipper clutch...it keeps the back from hoping around due to locking up from engine decompression on decel. It's basically a suspension/chassis aiding device. I use them extensively on road race bikes, and they're common on SM bikes as well. lately, it seems like all the pros in MX seem to be using them too. From my experience, slipper clutches have no effect other than letting the motor spin more like a 2-stroke on decel, but reading an article in MXA about the Hinson slipper, they were saying that it basically eliminates your ability to slip or feather the clutch on corner exit. A lot of guys like to do this, which IMO, makes the Hinson more of a negative than a positive.

Anybody use a slipper clutch for MX
Not me.

For the stalling problem, in MX, you want the rekluse z-start pro. Then no matter how slow your rear wheel turns, it cannot stall your engine. Pretty handy in many situations. Setup for a low rpm auto grab, installed on an engine with good low rpm grunt, except for the cost and a tiny bit of weight, I do not know of any downsides. It works when you need it, and otherwise it's like it's not there. Unlike the rider, the z-start pro does not get tired late in the moto. It never forgets or works in consistently.

Essentially the slipper clutch only works on downshifting!..It's a great advantage only for the fact that you can slam down gears without worrying about the rear wheel locking. This is a real advantage for any indoor tight circuit racing. If you race its more than worth your money, Kawasaki originally used to put what they called a "back torque limiter" on there factory race bikes but a variety from Hinson or others can be baught and tuned for your riding style.

Essentially the slipper clutch only works on downshifting!..It's a great advantage only for the fact that you can slam down gears without worrying about the rear wheel locking.
I feel better corner entry handling without the engine spinning fast. Less crankshaft gyro. Slipper must help remove that too. Lucky the KX450F aint lacking in bottom end, so we rarely need the low gears for corner exit, on most tracks.

Interesting though ... Both the slipper and the rekluse pro are similar in that they provide an automatic (no clutch lever) solution to get the revs higher for the corner exit. The slipper giving the more aggressive corner exit, but the rekluse assisting with stall prevention.?

Interesting though ... Both the slipper and the rekluse pro are similar in that they provide an automatic (no clutch lever) solution to get the revs higher for the corner exit. The slipper giving the more aggressive corner exit, but the rekluse assisting with stall prevention.?

Not really. A slipper clutch only releases back-torque up to a point. It's totally out of the picture by the apex. The screw-ball issue with the Hinson(according to MXA anyway), is that it doesn't allow any slipping, which works contrary to getting the rpm's up at corner exit. Not having the ability to slip the clutch is ridiculous for MX. Must be the type of actuation Hinson uses. I don't believe the FMF (STM) unit hinders the rider in this way, and IIRC, it's a ramp-type slipper clutch.

At the end of the day, IMO a slipper isn't really necessary in MX, unless you have pro-rider skills, and carry that kind of speed. Unlike SM and road racing, the terrain you're riding in (dirt) is very forgiving to a rear wheel momentarily locking up, and even using the rear brake to achieve this is acceptable. Using the rear brake to lock up the rear on pavement is suicidal. The effects on the suspension from it happening just aren't that prevalent at sub-pro level speeds, IMO. The $900 could be better spent on something else that would do a much better job/have a much greater impact on making you a faster/better rider.

I don't personally believe in the rekluse or it's competitors for MX at any level.

My useless $.02...YMMV:thumbsup: