1st time changing a tire...hard? easy?

hi all. I bought front and rear tires for my crf250r. First time attempting to change a tire. Is it the same principle as I do on my mountain bikes? Or should I pay someone 20 bucks to do it? I feel like I am commited to the sport for the next 40 years of my life, so I need to be able to do my own maintenance. Any tips, any suggestions? Kindly,

AT

It's a challenge! I recall the first time I changed one and how I had wished I had spent the $ to have it done... but I've done a bunch of them over the years and I've gotten good at it... so I'm happy to save the $ now... my two bits of advice... use some soapy water (lots of soap!) and long tire spoons... short spoons suck and a dry tire is really hard to deal with. When you replace the tube, put just a little air in it and it will hold its place in the tire... Good luck!

It is the same principle as your mountain bike.....just alot tougher. Use the proper tools and the job gets easier. Start with the front tire....the larger tire will be easier. Then when you've got your confidence up go for the rear. No doubt its a good skill to have, everyone should be able to change a tire. The more you do the easier it gets, everytime you pick up a little bit of knowledge that you can use the next time. Have fun....let us know how it turns out.

Do a search and you can find lots of video on how to change a tire. Don't be disheartened by the video.....they make it look way too easy. Reality is much tougher

Yep - the vid helps a bunch. Good spoons, a little air in the tube and a little technique will get it done. Watch pinching the tube with a spoon/iron as you work the new tire on. Just watch the vid first and perhaps have another person around to help hold the 3rd spoon until you get it dialed in.

Jason

I prefer windex over soap.. it's almost as slippery and the good thing about it is that it evaporates, unlike soap, which will help prevent the tire from spinning on your rim. The last thing you want to have happen after going through all that work is to spin the tire and rip the valve stem off.

Definitely give it a try yourself, though. With 3 good tire irons you should do okay- you'll get the hang of it after a few and won't even think of paying someone to do it.

I did my first tire last July, and boy, it was a challenge.

Took forever to get the SOBs of the rim, and took even longer to get the new tires on.

I used that TWMX vid to guide me and it was still hard but a good learning experience.

I used some specail tire mounting soap and I didnt use enough of it so it took 50psi to get the bead to seat, and when it did, boy it was loud!

putting tires on with inner tubes is a bitch simply because if u pinch the tube u are F'ed! its a pain in the ass if the tire is very stiff and you cant get it seated right, then line up the locks and ur set, i would say give it a shot, if u pop a tube go buy another hey arent much, and is well worth learning how to do

hot ass days and soap(can never use too much it will jsut simply dry up) help a tonn, but go for it!

I've been putting the new tires in my truck with the windows rolled up in the sun. By the time I've got the old tires off, the new ones are getting hot and depending on the compound, a lot softer. They stretch, and pinch into the rim at the start a lot better. Sometimes every little bit helps.