Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum cleaner... I feel like I've tried everything.

My engine is brown. I've tried muriatic acid, hydrofluoric acid, toluene, regular soap, and a pressure washer. Nothing even begins to work. Any ideas? Thanks.

I use Big Z to clean everything. Leave it concentrated and you can see the aluminum fizz.

1 part waterless hand cleaner and 4 parts hot water. Put in spray bottle apply to engine. Hose off afterward.

I use brake cleaner for everything too... That's the toluene I posted.

The hydrofluoric acid would make my aluminum rims bubble, but wouldn't do anything to the engine. Might as well have been spit.

I need something hardcore. Like one step below grinding.

I use Big Z to clean everything. Leave it concentrated and you can see the aluminum fizz.

That has sodium hydroxide, right? I haven't tried that. I have some drain opener with that in it. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

That has sodium hydroxide, right? I haven't tried that. I have some drain opener with that in it. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Yuup.

I need something hardcore. Like one step below grinding.

LOL - Maybe an 09 model without the brown engine option.

Yuup.

I tried the drain cleaner. Nothing. I think the aluminum has a plastic coating that has turned brown. Could be polyurethane.

Anyone know what can break down plastic? :lol:

LOL - Maybe an 09 model without the brown engine option.

That sounds good, but I'm restoring this 90 model right now. Trying anyway. :lol::worthy:

Well, I guess you could pull the engine and get it glass beaded. Similar to sand blasting but the use glass beads. Doesn't tear the surface up so badly.

It sounds like you've tried some pretty mean stuff with no luck. Maybe it's best to bead blast it or paint over the brown.

Well, if it is clearcoated, try paint remover to remove clearcoat first.

I use s100 cycle cleaner,(not cheap about $50 per gallon)stuff works wonders.Im a stone mason so I have tried many different acids and cleaners on my alum engines and everything else on my bike with less than desirable results.Spray this stuff on wait about five mins and powerwash it will look like you scrubbed your whole bike with a brush and all alum including engine should shine like new!!!:lol:

My engine is brown. I've tried muriatic acid, hydrofluoric acid, toluene, regular soap, and a pressure washer. Nothing even begins to work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you talking about baked on mud/oil outside the cylinder? I used a small wire wheel on a drill, then when the aluminum dulled I sprayed it with WD40 and now the outside of my cylinder looks brand new.

your engine is coated to protect the aluminum from oxidization . i would just paint over it .

thats a lie i would just leave it and ride it . unless it was like poo brown then i would paint it .

Some of these ideas are insane! :lol: If you keep using hard core chemicals like that you're going to break down the case sealer, then you'll have bigger problems than your dirty engine.

Use Simple Green straight and elbow grease. You have to get in there with all sorts of brushes and SCRUB IT. If you want it to stay clean then you need to wash it after every ride.