Tapping front break in air?

Idk why many people don't do it, but I have recently discovered tapping my front break in the air drops the nose of the bike slightly and usually perfect for landing. Is there a reason why nobody really does this or is it just no talked bout?

Very easy to slide out upon landing. I've done it on accident before and had a very hairy landing because of it.

Tapping your brake front or rear is the incorrect way to set up for a landing. Proper body position is they way to be in the correct position.

Tapping your rear brake should only be done in extereme circumstances. Even then it slows you down.

Tapping your brake front or rear is the incorrect way to set up for a landing. Proper body position is they way to be in the correct position.

Tapping your rear brake should only be done in extereme circumstances. Even then it slows you down.

Go watch the pro's and tell that to James and Reed.

Tapping your rear brake in the air will NOT slow you down. It will just bring the front end down. You will more then likely be accelerating before you hit the ground again anyway. As far as the front brake I used to do it too. You need the front wheel spinning so you can turn the bars. If you stop your front wheel and turn your bars it is very hard to bring back. It's kind of like a safety first, function second thing. When you tap your rear brake 98% of the time your rear wheel will keep spinning one you let off the brake plus you should use the clutch to help with that.

you ever ride a wheelie in the street and set the front tire down after it stops spinning, you get an awkward head shake. The front tire is like a gyro, if you stop it from spinning it can cause issues that you may not be able to correct. If you tap the back (clutch pulled) you can always get off the brake and release the clutch and get the tire spinning again.

I would rather take the extra steps to pull the clutch and tap the rear brake then stop the front wheel and risk a bar swap on the landing.

Tapping the rear brake has been done for years and works well. Watching the latest supercossses I have seen a few riders tap the front. It appeared deliberate but I couldn't tell what it was doing for them. Cam.

One problem with tapping the front brake is there is no reversing it once you do it. If you tap the rear brake and the front drops too much, you can just panic rev and get back to where you are. There is no way to make the front wheel accelerate again (unless you have front wheel drive :lol: ).

Idk why many people don't do it, but I have recently discovered tapping my front break in the air drops the nose of the bike slightly and usually perfect for landing. Is there a reason why nobody really does this or is it just no talked bout?

Yes there is a reason - landing with your front wheel stopped can cause a biff. Tapping your rear brake does the same thing and is much safer.

JayC

Go watch the pro's and tell that to James and Reed.

Honestly tapping the rear brake is not done much past the C class. The point was that tapping the brake should be done only if needed. Proper body position is they key.

You will only ever see Bubba or Reed ever tap the rear brake if they are way out of controll.

I see more tapping the brake done at a local motocross track in one evening that has been done at the last 2 years of outdoor nats and supercrosses combined.

Honestly tapping the rear brake is not done much past the C class.

You will only ever see Bubba or Reed ever tap the rear brake if they are way out of controll.

Nonsense... "C" class huh? now you're calling Bubba "C" class... that's rich..

Nonsense... "C" class huh? now you're calling Bubba "C" class... that's rich..

Sweet video. I never realized how much the suspension compresses in the air once you hit the break. Cool stuff :lol:

Honestly tapping the rear brake is not done much past the C class. The point was that tapping the brake should be done only if needed. Proper body position is they key.

I see more tapping the brake done at a local motocross track in one evening that has been done at the last 2 years of outdoor nats and supercrosses combined.

your comments are absurd...They tap the rear brake after seat bouncing where they cant possibly bring the front down as much as tapping the rear brake...proper body positioning is always key but sometimes some situations (like a steep lip or after a seat bounce) require a panic rev or a rear brake tap...It can also be used to conserve energy...The pros do it to stay IN control not when they've LOST control....That being said the pros do it at least 3 times a lap at a supercross race...

To build on how crazy that comment about brake tapping being a C-class technique was... I feel like the majority of C-class struggles with jumping, let alone brake tapping. It freaks a lot of people out, I'd say it's a semi-advanced technique.

I'm glad somebody stepped up and posted that info-clip.

I was just stopping by to see if there were more words of wisdom on front brake tapping. I was waiting to post the same video. Even back in the early seventies, Evel Knivel said he's was screwd if the front wheel stops spinning.:lol:

I have recently discovered tapping my front break in the air drops the nose of the bike slightly and usually perfect for landing. Is there a reason why nobody really does this or is it just no talked bout?

well I discovered this about 5 years ago too (front brake tapping). started using it on a regular basis. then, one day I found out why you should not do it: because in a panic situation (where you are losing control of the bike in the air) you cannot always get out of a brake once you are into it. rear wheel locked up on landing is one thing. the front brake locked up on landing is WHOLE new territory! I'd forget about this maneuver before it creates an unconscious habit in your mind that toasts you when you least expect it.

Sic...

only front brake tap on little iddy bitty jumps for minor corrections

only front brake tap on little iddy bitty jumps for minor corrections

and on those little iddy bitty jumps even if you dont correct it wont hurt that much...

I would learn the right technique and keep on using it instead of learning the wrong one and then taking time to learn a whole new approach. :lol:

from what i have seen the pros drive off the jump face. this puts the front very high. so when they leave the jump they just stab the rear brake to level out the bike. just my 2 cents.

I personally know two guys with a pro license and they also give motocross schools. They will both tell you that tapping rear brake is not the most efficient technique. Rear brake tapping can be and is used by all skill levels to control the bike, BUT, it is only used by the pros when they have to. If you truly watch, you will see a pro tap the rear brake after a seatbounce alot, but not all of the time. You will very rarely see a pro rider tap the rear brake on a supercross Main Triple (the big ones, not tripling in rhythm sections). Rear brake tapping also slows the bike down. Drag. When the wheel is stopped it is encountering more wind resistance, therefore a greater amount of drag. This is slowing the bike down. If you are using the rear brake on every jump, it means you are most likely too far back on the seat, and you need to improve your jumping technique.

IN CONCLUSION: Rear brake tapping is done by every skill level, but, it is not used unless absolutely needed. If James Stewart taps the rear brake, its because that is the only way to safely land the bike. IF YOU ARE TAPPING THE FRONT BRAKE IN THE AIR, YOU WILL GET HURT SOONER OR LATER. PLEASE LEARN TO NOT USE THE FRONT BRAKE IN THE AIR!!!