[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Another Noise Thread

Here's the problem. I just bought a 2006 DRZ 400 SM with 4300 miles. The bike runs flawlessly, but just off idle in all gears, I'm hearing a rattle or knocking sound. I hear it until the rpms get high, but I don't know if it goes away, or if the wind and other engine noise drowns it out. I've had two other DRZs, and I don't remember them having this noise. I'm no mechanic, but to me it sounds a lot like what I call piston slap. The kind of sound you get if you lug the engine in higher gears, and now I focus on the noise as soon as I start riding. Also, I don't hear it with the bike in neutral revving it in the driveway. I know it's hard to judge without hearing it yourself, but have any of you had this similar issue? I don't really want to take the bike to local Suzuki dealer because I haven't had very good experiences with their service dept. The guy I bought the bike from is a friend, and has agreed to make things right if there is a major problem. Help! I don't want to dislike this bike because of a simple problem.

i have almost 17k on my DRZ. it makes some knocking sounds here and there. occationally a new one will start then go away in about a 1000mi. these motors are noisy, i have always had clean oil come out when i change it so i dont worry about the noises anymore.

when i lug my Z i def get piston slap, i think its a common issue with these motors.

hopefully some more people chime in and can help you out!

http://trailbikeandrally.freeforums.org/want-to-know-what-700-quids-of-damage-to-a-drz-looks-like-t592.html

Kind of like a chatter noise that goes off at higher revs? Notice it more from low to mid Range? Bike runs fine, even pulls top speed etc etc?

Thats what mine was like anyway. Pics are in the post (Just a little forum a few of us started to keep in touch as weve all moved over the country).

Had my whole engine rebuilt now and its as quiet as a mouse. So quiet infact i keep thinking ive stalled the engine at junctions etc etc.

Here's the problem. I just bought a 2006 DRZ 400 SM with 4300 miles. The bike runs flawlessly, but just off idle in all gears, I'm hearing a rattle or knocking sound. I hear it until the rpms get high, but I don't know if it goes away, or if the wind and other engine noise drowns it out. I've had two other DRZs, and I don't remember them having this noise. I'm no mechanic, but to me it sounds a lot like what I call piston slap. The kind of sound you get if you lug the engine in higher gears, and now I focus on the noise as soon as I start riding. Also, I don't hear it with the bike in neutral revving it in the driveway. I know it's hard to judge without hearing it yourself, but have any of you had this similar issue? I don't really want to take the bike to local Suzuki dealer because I haven't had very good experiences with their service dept. The guy I bought the bike from is a friend, and has agreed to make things right if there is a major problem. Help! I don't want to dislike this bike because of a simple problem.

You are describing the exact same noise mine makes . I took it to the dealer and said that it was piston slap , he said maybe , but would not do anything about it :lol: . His solution was to ride it and once the warranty run out they would strip it and have a look :lol: . Not mentioned , but all at my expense :banghead: . I now just rev the beejesus out of it and try not to listen to it down low , but enjoy the sweet sounds of my pipe when it is on song , greg :worthy: . [ yes I am just ignoring it , and after 2000 klms nothing has happened :busted: ]

I've had it ever since I bought the bike. Made about 5000 miles on it and it still runs great. Only thing I made is changing the cam chain, and buying MCCT. The noise is still there.

The best advice is to buy a loud pipe and forget about it. That will be the last time you hear this noise :lol: Oh and the "E" model almost doesn't make that sound...

Is it this sound? You can hear it almost all the way but particularly when he's approaching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8Wh01DylA

If yes, than it's normal :)

the sound in that video my sm makes as well. so your saying thats a normal noise? do you know why it makes the noise mine just recently started making that noise.

I would say mine makes a similar noise, Also seems to change very slightly with the temperature of the engine, more noise if it is cold or cooler. I have just been running it at higher RPM's where it seems happier anyway. Just about 1000 miles:ride: noise has not changed a bit, so i am letting go of obsessing how the engine is self destructing.

is the bike stock?