Problems in moab

This stuff has been building for a while now. Moab is becoming become motorcycle unfriendly.

As goes CA, so goes the nation. Sorry about that!

Rode Moab last April...for the first time. Had one plated bike and two non-plated. Moab visitor center attendant checked the state reciprocity chart and said that the Missouri plated bike would be fine...did not require a sticker. He then went on to say that with the sticker there would be no problems with Law Enforcement. We purchased 3 stickers...no problems. The plated bike was not ridden in town...we trailered.:lol:

Plated my bike since then will the goal in mind to be able to ride in and out of Moab - Dualsport...

We had plans to go back this April with 9 riders...the economy has changed our plans...looks like it keeps us out of trouble with Moab Law Enforcment. Hope Utah and Colorado can work out their differences...looks like it's effecting everyone. Was bummed we wren't going, but now looks like it might not be the place to ride...:worthy:

The redneck law breaking renagades on 2-3-4 wheelers are ruining it for all the rest of us who have quiet mufflers and ride legally and responsibly. We all become members of the same bad group when the non-motorcycling public is looking at the damage caused by these D-a$$ F-heads. The easy thing for them to do is just ban everyone so they don't have to separate the good guys from the bad. The local feds that run the individual trail systems have to make this critical decision. Your results may vary.

DBM

Under the general subject of "Catch 22," had an aggravating situation in Pennsylvania.

In PA, out-of-state registered ATVs need no PA registration. My home state, Virginia, has no ATV registration. Thus, PA requires me to register my ATV in PA as a non-resident; or . . . they don't care WHERE it's registered, just as long as it's registered SOMEWHERE!

In my view, since my ATV is "fully registered" in my state-of-residence (i.e., not registered at all), well . . . you can see where this is going.

With insufficient funds and incentive to take the case to the Supreme Court, I bought the PA out-of-state registration.

Sorry everyone thinks Moab is anti off-road...not the case. However, recent changes to street legal ohvs is causing alot of problems. Riders from out of state need to know the following.

Some states that use to be reciprocal states no longer are. This year Colorado no longer participates in reciprocity and there for all OHVs (including motorcycles) must buy an out of state permit whether they are street legal or not.

Second, A street legal vehicle in another state, are subject to the laws of Utah and not the state in which they are registered. One of the biggest issues seems to be about blinkers and Utah requires that any motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1973 must have blinkers. For a full list of what is required to drive a motorcycle in Utah, you can go to www.discovermoab.com and find the link to street legal requirements under the ATVing page.

While local law enforcement are only concerned with those who do not obey traffic rules, ride irresponsibly or cause trouble, it is better to make sure your motorcycle or OHV meets all the requirements if you plan to ride on public highways.

Remember an out of state permit is required if you are going to go off-road, even if you are registered as street legal in your state.

Second, A street legal vehicle in another state, are subject to the laws of Utah and not the state in which they are registered. One of the biggest issues seems to be about blinkers and Utah requires that any motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1973 must have blinkers.

Front license plates are required in Utah and Colo but not NewMexico, will Utah cite all NewMexico vehicles for not having a front plate? Or are they selectively singling out motorcycles for violations of Utah law?

Personally I have no problem buying an offroad sticker, hopefully the money goes to trails like it does in Colo. I have a problem with Utah's selectively and retaliatory way of ticketing out-of-state motos for lack of blinkers. Just who uses blinkers on Porcupine, Bartlett, or Gemini anyway?

Some moto owners have been ticketed before their bike have been unloaded from a truck and even ridden on Utah soil. Thats ok Moab, there are other places to go ride. :)

Sorry everyone thinks Moab is anti off-road...not the case. However, recent changes to street legal ohvs is causing alot of problems. Riders from out of state need to know the following.

Some states that use to be reciprocal states no longer are. This year Colorado no longer participates in reciprocity and there for all OHVs (including motorcycles) must buy an out of state permit whether they are street legal or not.

Second, A street legal vehicle in another state, are subject to the laws of Utah and not the state in which they are registered. One of the biggest issues seems to be about blinkers and Utah requires that any motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1973 must have blinkers. For a full list of what is required to drive a motorcycle in Utah, you can go to www.discovermoab.com and find the link to street legal requirements under the ATVing page.

While local law enforcement are only concerned with those who do not obey traffic rules, ride irresponsibly or cause trouble, it is better to make sure your motorcycle or OHV meets all the requirements if you plan to ride on public highways.

Remember an out of state permit is required if you are going to go off-road, even if you are registered as street legal in your state.

My CA registered vehicles - including my street legal WR400 & street legal XR250R - are not subject to Utah specific VC equipment requirements or OHV permit/registration - ie window tint that is legal in CA but illegal for Utah registered vehicles OR Utah lighting laws (blinkers).

Non-street legal OHV permits are a different issue.

Brian

For a full list of what is required to drive a motorcycle in Utah, you can go to www.discovermoab.com and find the link to street legal requirements under the ATVing page.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I am often) but that write-up deals with making ATV's---i.e. 4 wheelers street legal. The write-up even goes on to say that a motorcycle is not an ATV.

I'll try to answer all your questions to the best of my knowledge:

To durangoman: I honestly do not believe that the local law enforcement is singling out anyone. In talking with law enforcement officers, they said that they would not cite a OHV for not having blinkers if they are on a trail and have an out-of-state sticker. If they are on the highway on an OHV registered in another state, they MUST meet the requirements set forth for Class I and Class II OHV's. A off-road or dual sport motorcylcle is considered a Class I OHV. Yes, you can be ticketed if you are at a trailhead (considered a staging area by Utah law) your OHV's are still on the trailer and do not have an out-of-state permit. Get your permits before you got to the trailhead.

TO NVR_FNSH: California is still a riciprocal state so you do not need to purchase a out of state permit. However, in answer to your other question, according to a discussion with our State Highway Patrol, all vehicles on Utah highways must meet Utah laws, regardless of the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered. If your vehicle has tinted windows that are darker than allowed in Utah, you can be cited. This is true of any Utah Law. I know that such citations have been given. But I believe this is more like the seat belt law...they normally don't pull you over for it, but you will get a citation if you are pulled over for another reason.

To Red_Rider. The link on discovermoab.com does deal with making ATV's street legal...and the reason it says a motorcycle is not an ATV, it is because while state law classifies any off-road motorcycle a Class I OHV, but they also are subject to the laws that govern motorcycles Section (2)(a) of Utah Code 41-61-1509 and may have more restrictions to become street-legal. We chose this ATV link as it was easier to comprehend that the actual Utah Code. But OHV and ATV are synonymous in Utah and off road motorcycles are Class I OHV's.

TO NVR_FNSH:

However, in answer to your other question, according to a discussion with our State Highway Patrol, all vehicles on Utah highways must meet Utah laws, regardless of the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered.

Is this even legal?

according to a discussion with our State Highway Patrol, all vehicles on Utah highways must meet Utah laws, regardless of the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered.

Like I asked:

Front license plates are required in Utah ...but not NewMexico, will Utah cite all NewMexico vehicles for not having a front plate?

Colorado doesnt require blinkers on a motorcycle so many of us dont have them on our ds bikes (they break off anyway in crashes or bumps against trees/rocks) and in the past Utah leos didnt bother us. Now since Colo/Wyom/Utah politicians got into a pissing match, Utah leos are now after out-of-state plated bikes (that are perfectly legal where they are registered) in what sure seems like retaliation.

To me the reciprocity of ohv permits is not the issue, reciprocity of legally equiped, registered, and insured vehicles is.

Like I said before, there are other places besides Moab to ride. LaQuinta, Moab Brewery, gas stations and other local businesses will suffer from this unjust crackdown.

of Utah Code 41-61-1509

I believe it's chapter 6a instead of 61.

To Red_Rider. The link on discovermoab.com does deal with making ATV's street legal...and the reason it says a motorcycle is not an ATV, it is because while state law classifies any off-road motorcycle a Class I OHV, but they also are subject to the laws that govern motorcycles Section (2)(a) of Utah Code 41-61-1509 and may have more restrictions to become street-legal.

I read Section (2)(a) as ATV's being subject to the same requirements as a motorcycle only in regards to (i) traffic rules, (ii) driver licensing , (iii) registration, titling, (iv) fees in lieu of property taxes and (v) the county motor vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance programs ( http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_06a150900.htm ) No talk of being subject to motorcycle equipment requirements.

There is mention of street legal ATV's (4 wheelers) being required to have turn signals down in Section (3)---but there is no mention of this being the same requirement of a motorcycle.

Interesting note---in Code 41-6a-1506 Motorcycles---Required Equipment there is no mention of turn signals:

41-6a-1506. Motorcycles -- Required equipment -- Brakes.

(1) A motorcycle and a motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with the following items:

(a) one head lamp which, when factory equipped with an automatic lighting ignition system, may not be disconnected;

(:banghead: one tail lamp;

© either a tail lamp or a separate lamp which illuminates the rear license plate with a white light;

(d) one red reflector on the rear, either separate or as part of the tail lamp;

(e) one stop lamp;

(f) a braking system, other than parking brake, in accordance with Section 41-6a-1623;

(g) a horn or warning device in accordance with Section 41-6a-1625;

(h) a muffler and emission control system in accordance with Section 41-6a-1626;

(i) a mirror in accordance with Section 41-6a-1627; and

(j) tires in accordance with Section 41-6a-1636.

(2) The department may require an inspection of the braking system on a motor-driven cycle and disapprove a braking system that is not designed or constructed as to insure reasonable and reliable performance in actual use in accordance with Section 41-6a-1623.

(3) A person may not operate a motor-driven cycle on a highway if the department has disapproved the braking system on the motor-driven cycle.

(4) (a) Upon notice to the party to whom the motor-driven cycle is registered, the department may suspend the registration of a motor-driven cycle if the department has disapproved the braking system under this section.

(:banghead: The Motor Vehicle Division shall, under Subsection 41-1a-109(1)(e) or (2), refuse to register a motor-driven cycle if it has reason to believe the motor-driven cycle has a braking system disapproved under this section.

Second, A street legal vehicle in another state, are subject to the laws of Utah and not the state in which they are registered.

One of the biggest issues seems to be about blinkers and Utah requires that any motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1973 must have blinkers.

Could you provide the Title/Chapter/Sections that specifically states these two items. I've been looking and been having no luck.

TravelMoab, not trying to bust your chops on this. :) Just trying to verify everything with concrete references. Thanks for your time and effort.

Hi again...understand the frustration and unfortunately, I don't have all the answers...even the local law enforcers are confused by the changes.

As of January 1, 2009 Utah made it mandatory to have blinkers on motorcycles manufactured after 1/1/73, before that it was only required if it came with blinkers from the manufacturer. Make sure you are looking at the most recent laws as many of the websites have outdated information.

As for the law about all vehicles operating on public highways being subject to Utah Law and not the state the vehicle is registered, I got this information from Lieutenant Jeff Willmore of the Utah Highway Patrol. I am not sure what Title/Section/etc that it is at, but will try to find out and let you all know.

It is this, along with the new OHV street legal requirements, and the change in riciprocity that is making things so confusing. As always with government laws you go from one section to another to see how they are all connected...that is why I finally just called the Utah Highway Patrol. You can email Lieutenant Jeff Willmroe and Jwillmor@utah.gov also.

My mission is to try and get the right info out there, so if one of my sources is proven wrong, please let me know.

Thanks

As of January 1, 2009 Utah made it mandatory to have blinkers on motorcycles manufactured after 1/1/73,

Whew that is pretty recent. 100% with you on the online Title 41 not being updated yet.

As for the law about all vehicles operating on public highways being subject to Utah Law and not the state the vehicle is registered,

I have seen some curious (and frustrating) ambiguity in reference to this issue----while serving in the military. Sometimes it was loosely left up to the local courts/officials depending on how long you were in state. Also knew of one trooper pulling over streetrods passing through his state---writing tickets for things illegal in his state but legal in the vehicle's registered state.

You can email Lieutenant Jeff Willmroe and Jwillmor@utah.gov also.

Thanks for the addy. :) I'll shoot him an email. If I need bail money I'll let the TT crew know! :banghead:

Ride_red please let us know what you find out. I've been thinking of a trip to Utah and I have many of the same questions.

Anyone know about DOT tires on the street? I was looking through the Utah laws and I could not find anything about DOT tires on a dual sport. Are they required or not in Utah? Anyone know the section of the code?

Ride_red please let us know what you find out. I've been thinking of a trip to Utah and I have many of the same questions.

For sure Cleonard. :) I shot the Lieutenant an email earlier this afternoon. No reply yet---might not get an answer till next week.

TO NVR_FNSH: California is still a riciprocal state so you do not need to purchase a out of state permit. However, in answer to your other question, according to a discussion with our State Highway Patrol, all vehicles on Utah highways must meet Utah laws, regardless of the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered. If your vehicle has tinted windows that are darker than allowed in Utah, you can be cited. This is true of any Utah Law. I know that such citations have been given. But I believe this is more like the seat belt law...they normally don't pull you over for it, but you will get a citation if you are pulled over for another reason.

Ask your Utah HP contact to provide the law(s) that allow him to cite properly registered out of state vehicles for Utah specific equipment infractions - ie CA requires two plates on pass cars & pick-ups but a citation written to a vehicle from a state that only requires one plate will not hold up in court.

Brian

Ask your Utah HP contact to provide the law(s) that allow him to cite properly registered out of state vehicles for Utah specific equipment infractions - ie CA requires two plates on pass cars & pick-ups but a citation written to a vehicle from a state that only requires one plate will not hold up in court.

Brian

I am willing to bet that they know it wouldn't hold up in court, but are playing the odds that a visitor wouldn't be in town long enough to wait for a court date and would just pay the fine and be done with it.