Sign in to follow this  

New Name....New Bike

Hi DRZ guys.

Changed my screen name and finally found a older (and bigger) brother for my DRZ400.

I finally hunted down a DR750. This bike is based on the original Suzuki DR-Zeta (DRZ...see the relationship) Dakar bike from the late 80s. They were never imported to the USA but got as close as Canada.

Here's the Dakar race bike with Gaston Rahier aboard (remember was only 5'4 so the bike looks huge)

31773129-M.jpg

and here's mine....750 (OK...723cc) and one cylinder

IMG_0055.jpg

Not as advanced as the 400 but fun to ride.

The sticker is Suzukis...not mine...but kinda cool.

At 80 its running about 5800 RPM or so. A bit more vibey than my DRZ400 but not by much. It's using two balancers. Most comfortable between 65 and 70 and great pull between 2000-4000.

The styling was done by (I believe) Hans Muth the Suzuki designer that did the first Katana. The "beak" design was then copied by BMW and all the GS model BMWs have reflected this design ever since. Interesting that is was a Suzuki idea first.

I see "Slingshot" on the side ,gives me good memories:thumbsup:

Here's the ass of my old 88 gixxer

<a  href=mobil_okt_08_145.sized.jpg' alt='mobil_o

I was thinking the same thing. Had an 87 myself.

Had an 87 kicker as well. In fact, it was my last bike before picking up the sm. Had to find parts for. Had to get the side panels from Germany...

The bike was a wheelie king...

picture105.jpg

picture108.jpg

real nice lookin dr-big! yeah post up where and how much...also how heavy does it feel when you are ridin it? I can only imagine single cylinder at that size. either way congrats, one of the best lookin I've seen.

PS: I remember coming across a site dedicated to these in norway or sweden? seem to have a cultg following there...

sweet bike. i think it would be fun (though big and heavey) to take the old girl out for an off-road ride. have you had a chance to stretch her dirt legs?

Hi DRZ guys.

Changed my screen name and finally found a older (and bigger) brother for my DRZ400.

I finally hunted down a DR750. This bike is based on the original Suzuki DR-Zeta (DRZ...see the relationship) Dakar bike from the late 80s. They were never imported to the USA but got as close as Canada.

Here's the Dakar race bike with Gaston Rahier aboard (remember was only 5'4 so the bike looks huge)

31773129-M.jpg

and here's mine....750 (OK...723cc) and one cylinder

IMG_0055.jpg

Not as advanced as the 400 but fun to ride.

WOW,

congrats, I think your bike is outstanding, superb...I want to know more about it. I want one also. Just beautiful.

It brings back some memories of that era (80's) when I was watching every stage of the Paris Dakar...That thing could fly with gaston Rahier at the helm...:lol::worthy:

Cheers

For those that have asked....I got the bike from an inmate at ADVrider. I post there alot. My other bike is a Honda Transalp converted to Africa Twin specs and there are alot of like-minded guys there.

There is also a section for the DRZ400 in "Thumpers" there but it's not as evolved as this forum by any means. Still lotsa nice peopl.

The bike came from Italy through the Armed Forces import exemption. Other than spending tons of money on import fees, bribes etc. it's just about the only way the euro-bikes end up in the USA. The other way is for someone from europe to tour here and either sell the bike before returning or have a mechanical and buy a bike here with the euro-bike given on trade-in.

Anyways, the bike came from Italy. Speedo in kms etc.

The orange frame and blue wheels are from the Italian guy and he did a great job. Lots of stainless allens used throughout the bike and it looks like all the work was well done. I really like the colors.

I've also been a Dakar follower for years and let one of these bikes slip through my fingers about 5 years ago. I vowed I'd never do that again so the minute I saw this one come up, I jumped on it. Price was $2500 which I felt was pretty much a steal. 65000 km on the clock so about 40,000 miles. PO said the bike was rebuilt once. I don't really know what that means but the compression is good and it doesn't leak or show signs of abuse. I haven't put enough miles on it yet to know if it uses oil or not.....we'll see on that score.

Parts are still available in Canada and one guy in Germany still has high-perf. parts available so it shouldn't bee too hard to keep up.

He also has some stuff for the 400. See:

http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=235&XTCsid=dfeceb72e63a826a73f33746e700665b

Dunno about off-road yet. Only ridden on some gravel roads yesterday. The gravel was fresh and deep and the bike didin't shake it's head or do anything to make riding difficult so it seems it might be good in the sand. Things here are wet and sloppy and the tires on the bike now aren't really suited for mud. I'll see what it does off-road after a tire change and addition of some crashbars to preserve the tank.

Glad you guys like the bike. I'm still a bit astonished that I found it and was able to buy it. Now if I can transfer ownership from N. Mex and get a California plate....I'll be in heaven.

Ray

I had the same reaction. I used to race an '88 Gixxer 750 slingshot. Too funny...