Sign in to follow this  

CR480R shock, XR spring?

I have a 82 CR480R and need the shock modified. It's 40mm Showa, no comp adjustability, 4 position rebound, 14.75" shock. I'd love to buy a new shock (R/T, Ohlins), but don't want to have to spend more on the shock then I did the bike. I'm looking to race this bike in the post vintage class, I'm 195# expert rider. I have not been able to find any after market springs. This one is a 7.5. I took it to my usual suspension source who didn't really want to mess with it and suggested a new one. I may end up going that route, but I was hoping a revalve and spring could get this one working good for now. Any ideas? The stock spring's inner diameter is 54mm and it's about 263mm long. Anyone have a old XR 200 spring or pre 97 XR 250 spring they can measure for me? They were a 40mm body as well (KYB though) and came with around a 9kg spring (closest I can find to what I need). As long as they are pretty close, I can make some adapters on my lathe, or grind a little off (inner diameter, I think one end is 53mmID?). I'm even considering a KTM spring, but they are a lot wider and would interfere with the air boot. If an older stock XR would work, I'm sure I can find one somewhere and might even be able to adapt the reservoir to get comp adjustment. Raynval@aol.com. Thanks.

I have a 82 CR480R and need the shock modified. It's 40mm Showa, no comp adjustability, 4 position rebound, 14.75" shock. I'd love to buy a new shock (R/T, Ohlins), but don't want to have to spend more on the shock then I did the bike. I'm looking to race this bike in the post vintage class, I'm 195# expert rider. I have not been able to find any after market springs. This one is a 7.5. I took it to my usual suspension source who didn't really want to mess with it and suggested a new one. I may end up going that route, but I was hoping a revalve and spring could get this one working good for now. Any ideas? The stock spring's inner diameter is 54mm and it's about 263mm long. Anyone have a old XR 200 spring or pre 97 XR 250 spring they can measure for me? They were a 40mm body as well (KYB though) and came with around a 9kg spring (closest I can find to what I need). As long as they are pretty close, I can make some adapters on my lathe, or grind a little off (inner diameter, I think one end is 53mmID?). I'm even considering a KTM spring, but they are a lot wider and would interfere with the air boot. If an older stock XR would work, I'm sure I can find one somewhere and might even be able to adapt the reservoir to get comp adjustment. Raynval@aol.com. Thanks.

Ray try racetech.com, do a spring rate search for these bikes you mention and you should be able to see the actual spring dimensions under the recommended springs listing.

I have already checked the Race Tech site, and am using them to square away the forks. I'm rebuilding them with .46 springs, installing emulators and rebuilding them myself. I have been sending R/T emails for two weeks, and the suspension guy I use is a Race Tech authorized technician. Basically, if this was an 83, then it would be no problem, everything is available, has been used/tested etc, etc. Unfortunately, mine is a 82, which has more in common with the 81 CR450R. No springs are available, they do not have dimensions (has to be very close to the 83 40mm Showa though, it was longer, and different frame mounting/leverage advantage allowed it to use a much softer spring, 6 compared to 7.7 (R/T site) respectively. Mine measures 54mm IDx 263. I can probably make anything work between about 53-60mmID and no longer than about 270mm. The rate is harder to find than anything. My stock spring tested at 7.5. Just guessing, I ought to need somewhere around a 15% increase which puts me in the 8.6 ballpark (I know, it doesn't sound right by modern shock design). These bikes really were not that soft in their day, but at 195#, on modern tracks, expert level, with forks 25% stiffer (will translate into more weight on the rear without adjustment) I'm guessing it's close? I'm still waiting for a good tuner to chime in. I've emailed plenty of shops, none has told me they can get me a spring for it, most won't even think about touching it. A new shock is my best option, but after a total rebuild, I just don't have the money to spend $750-$1,200 on just the shock. I'm sure I'd get better service calling them, but I work late nights, and usually sleep between about 9-4pm, making communication difficult. I'm tempted to just change the oil, put it back together and make adapters to fit on a KTM spring (it's too wide, and will require something to keep from ripping off the air boot), but they are the only springs I can find with ballpark right settings. Some stock XRs (200/250) are close, but all the aftermarket springs are much heavier. I'm actually toying with the idea of buying something like a progressive PDS-3 (8-10.3) spring, thinking the rate is close initially, progressively stiffer might not wreck as much havoc on the rebound. My original plan was to simply find someone familiar with these to revalve/rebuild (witout any expensive valves) and put on a stiffer spring. So far, no takers on that. I can get a KTM straight rate off Ebay, make some adapters, change the oil out (I'd love to replace the seal head, but can't find any, and really don't trust myself to rebuild it, the internals alone look very different than the first shocks I started to rebuild in the late 80s or the modern ones). Guru help please!