51 mpg - xr650r

hey guys

thought i'd share

riding to work this morning, i did my first fuel consumption test with the mikuni tm40, i think she might be jetted alittle lean on the pilot, but she runs good with no pinging everywhere.

i got 51mpg city traffic , or 22 kilometers per liter.

this was popping a few wheelies too...

share your fuel consumption figures. for the R, not the L!!! :lol:

I have gotten anywhere from 24 to 42, while dualsporting, depending on the ride. Never tried a tank with all street, but that should be coming soon, since I just converted one of my XRR's to SM config.

(Stock Carb, btw.)

What is your gearing?

hey guys

thought i'd share

riding to work this morning, i did my first fuel consumption test with the mikuni tm40, i think she might be jetted alittle lean on the pilot, but she runs good with no pinging everywhere.

i got 51mpg city traffic , or 22 kilometers per liter.

this was popping a few wheelies too...

share your fuel consumption figures. for the R, not the L!!! :lol:

15/45 for the all rounder, commute & open stuff.

and i use 13/45 for the tight tracks

Do you have mpg for the stock carb with the same 15/45 gearing?

I got worse mileage on the stock carb

38 MPG. but i did manage to match a KLR's consumption a few times, easy on the throttle.

Stock carb XRR and on the highway I will see 38mpg. Out in the woods I will see 45mpg.

I am going to try and solve my pig rich on the highway problem soon.

So you actually get better mileage trail riding than you do on the street? Interesting. :lol:

I have a stock carb on my XRR and 38ish is the norm for me too, on the street. I have no idea how much I can get in just trail riding.

That is what I thought to. Then I plugged in the wideband and found out why.

The carb goes super rich at highway cruise speeds. Everywhere else it is jetted perfect.

That would mean you're too rich on the pilot / needle.

At the moment im getting real good mileage because my bike is very lean on the pilot. It burps and surges if i hold it at 1/8th throttle.

I might go one size up but i want to retain good fuel consumption for the upcoming desert trip.

With the 15/45 stock gearing in town, I was getting 45 on my L.

25mpg dirt. About 30 street. Full T4 and opened up. No backfire screen.

I ran a desert race last week and got about 17mpg with a TM40 and 14/52 gearing. I had it pinned in deep sand washes most of the time.

Yeah sand kills the mileage. Last time I went out to the dunes it only took half the day to drain the 4 gallon tank.

My street XR-R gets around 42 to 47 mpg w/15/43 gearing.