Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain

Got an 07 thats just done 100hrs. Can't be 100% when the last owner did the top end as not everyone tells the truth. So I was going to pop a new top end in it when my mate said I should put a new cam chain in too. Anyone else think this is necessary?

To be safe, yes. Necessary? Probably not. May as well, they are not that expensive.

Got an 07 thats just done 100hrs. Can't be 100% when the last owner did the top end as not everyone tells the truth. So I was going to pop a new top end in it when my mate said I should put a new cam chain in too. Anyone else think this is necessary?

Yes, change it. You´ll need a flywheel puller.

Someone said that the Yamaha chain is exactly the same, but costs less.

True! :lol:

Absolutely do it. Mine had the same time on it and I couldnt get the marks to line up correctly, so I put a new chain with the top end and it was like new again. You will see that when you go to adjsut valves for the TDC marks.

Really? what year and model would I look for?

I haven´t gotten one myself from Yamaha, but apparently D.I.D. makes them and the YZ 250F and KX 250F shares the cam chain...

Someone said how many links they were, but I forgot...

I have one out in the garage. I'll check the part number and post it later.

thats weird considering kawi and yamaha never partnered unless i dont know about it lol

It probably made more sense to design the engine with a chain that already existed, was proven in YZ´s and was cheap.

They never partnered, but the chain is made by a third company, D.I.D. They are a really big manufacturer of chains...

I have one out in the garage. I'll check the part number and post it later.

Yamaha part # 94591-53114 The last three numbers indicate the chain length in links.

Yamaha part # 94591-53114 The last three numbers indicate the chain length in links.

You guys sure? I might stop by my yamaha dealer tomorrow and see if they have one. Im doing a new piston kit so I will change the cam chain while im there.