Need help from any DRZ owners who live in or who have lived in Japan

I am currently living in Nagoya, Japan. I bought a K7 domestic model DRZ and I want to take it back to the U.S. with me. I contacted 2 shipping companies and they told me that I cannot import it to the U.S. Is this true? I seem to get 14 different answers depending on who I talk to and the Japanese lunar cycles. This being Japan, I know there will be a mountain of paperwork and fees, but it should be possible right? I really dont want to part with my DRZ. I am not in the Military (yet, joining the USMC when I get back) so military household shipping is out. Thanks much for any info,

QUestion bro. How much is the bike worth in japan if you sell it there and what's the reason you don't want to sell it? Any particular mods or what?

You can get used ones in super condition dirt cheap here. Dunno what the prices are there though..

Thanks for the reply. I`ve got alot of mods done too it. Instead of buying stock when things wore out I bought aftermarket. I also have the last 2 years on the bike and it has alot or personal value. I could sell it here for about $4000, but I`ve got alot into it, much more than someone would pay for it. I had always planned on bringing it home, so never gave much thought to what someone else would pay for it. I just modded it to fit me, enjoyed it really. Looks like I may have to sell it. I`ll keep trying to find a way to bring it, but my time here is ticking away.

Japandrz , I have been going to japan for the last 12 years and have lived there on the odd occasion , and I have never heard of any refusals for shipping vehicles from japan before . The only conditions will be its condition for shipping , which will involve crating and the emptying of fuels and so forth . One of my very good friends , who was in tokyo for 14 years moved back to australia a couple of years ago and took his japanese model car and most of his house with him , this included a wife and 2 kids . I think it is like you mentioned with the lunar cycle , you just have to get the right people on the right day . Can you speak japanese ? I will ask my friend for you , who he used and pass it on , but he was in tokyo , so that could be a problem if that company doesnt go to nagoya , greg

Pull it down and ship it as "Spare Parts".

You might want to go to ADV rider and post the same question. LOTS of foreign riders there and I think a lot more of the guys over there travel and ride abroad. Just my impression. http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php

Just like here, good site with good people

You can not import it to the USA unless it meets US safety and emissions standards. Even if a domestic model meets the standards, it has to be on an approved list for import. Does it have a 17 digit VIN? If you get caught at US customs, you risk loosing the motorcycle plus fines. There are some exceptions for vintage and race vehicles but they do not apply in your case.

Noble, that's what I was told by the shipping company as well. They said that no domestic Japanese model was approved for import to the US. Not sure on the VIN, but this is a Japanese domestic model, so it has the E headlight and differnet blinkers etc etc.

Hinksy, Thanks for that. I know alot of Aussies import cars from Japan without problem, infact there is a very large market for them. I think that there are different requirments for Australia and the US, but thank you very much for the help.

I could break it down to parts, but I would have to get another US vin frame when I get back, not sure if its worth the trouble.

I'll check out ADV rider and see what I can find, thanks for the link.

contact the us consulate there.they will have a booklet explaining the process for importing vehicles in the us.

i think it came from epa and or dot.

bikes are a lot easier to import the cars.

Noble, that's what I was told by the shipping company as well. They said that no domestic Japanese model was approved for import to the US. Not sure on the VIN, but this is a Japanese domestic model, so it has the E headlight and differnet blinkers etc etc.

Hinksy, Thanks for that. I know alot of Aussies import cars from Japan without problem, infact there is a very large market for them. I think that there are different requirments for Australia and the US, but thank you very much for the help.

I could break it down to parts, but I would have to get another US vin frame when I get back, not sure if its worth the trouble.

I'll check out ADV rider and see what I can find, thanks for the link.

sorry to hear about the regulations , it is always sad to let something go when you dont want to . I had to sell my small block ford , laverda 1200 and suzuki dr 200 in 2003 when I moved to tokyo . But I ended up with the drz400sm when I got back home , sweet :lol:

I deal with shipping companies on a regular basis and would imagine the shipping companies you have spoken to know what they are talking about. Vehicles that may be accepted for import in one country may not in another, rules and regulations vary a lot.

Although you may have put loads of time and effort into your DRZ it may be a lot less hassle to sell it then buy another. You could always put it back to standard spec and take all the special parts off and ship them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided that I am going to take it apart and ship it back piece by piece. I am going to have to get another frame back in the US, but thats a little ways off. I just can't part with it, and even though it will cost me little to send it home, its less than I would lose if I sold it.

Good luck.:p Let us know how it works out in the end.

Can't you talk your way into getting it shipped through one of the military planes or is that not allowed?

TALK TO CREAMCHEESE HE LIVED IN THE EMPIRE OF THE SUN FOR 12 YEARS.

He still imports lots or parts from there and has a business that specializes in drz.

His company's name is WheelingCycle Supply.

i lived in Japan for about 15 years and moved away a couple of years ago bringing my bike with me to Hong Kong. Not a DRZ though.

Japan does not care what you export. Just make sure you de-register it before you go to reduce hassle.

As someone mentioned, it has to have an empty fuel tank and be properly crated. I got mine done by a local bike shop who had a crate and charged me 50,000JPY for the crate ,transportation and preparation. It was shipped in the same container as my household goods at no extra cost.

I don't know specifically about the US, in Hong Kong it was simply a matter of registering it and paying appropriate fees. Then again HK makes things like that quite straightforward.

Let me know if I can help further. Also check with the guys on www.gaijinriders.com if you have not already. Someone is sure to have tried this before. I am rasbro on that forum as well.

Can't you talk your way into getting it shipped through one of the military planes or is that not allowed?

You'd have to have MAJOR hook ups and Ginormous Balls to do something crazy like that.

Great info.

Forrest gets his stuff mostly from dirt freak if I am not mistaken. Dirt freak is about 5 minutes from my house and on my way home from work! Its cool to see some of the dirt freak parts on US bikes. I'll shoot him a PM and ask him about importing the bike.

I checked the VIN and it's a Japanese VIN, more of a ID number really, there are no letters. The US has strict rules as to what can be imported vehical wise and a Japanese VIN looks tough to get by. At this point I am planning on breaking it down and shipping it with my househoold goods. Just have to get a US frame when I get back. That is unless I can sell it for a good price here in Japan.

Rasbro, I lurk at gaijinriders on occasion, havnt seen anything about importing to the US, its usually the other way round. I'll give it another go. Thanks,

You'd have to have MAJOR hook ups and Ginormous Balls to do something crazy like that.

Yeah, kinda figured.