Sign in to follow this  

What would you do?

Hi guys!

Remember me? I'm the guy who had an 06'L that blew up last july and never got it back from the shop all summer. Well it's still gone. Tomorrow I am going to call and I am afraid honda is going to say they will only use a full new motor. Thats 3500.00. I'm not sure I'm willing to put that much into it. So what would you do now? It only has 5000 miles on it.

$3500 for a motor sounds a little steep. a few months ago

I found a dealer that had a XL600R motor for $2200 NIB.

it may take a while, but I'm sure Fleabay could provide you with a complete motor for less than a grand.

You have the bike in show since July? Hope they don't charge storage fees !!!!!

Still don't have it!!!!! thats insane What happened to the motor? If its totally gone $3500 is a little too much. Like said look on ebay

I think servicehonda has brand new ones around the 2K mark.

In short it blew up last july. It had oil in it. I was just cruising down the road. The whole top end is gone including the head. Small score in the cylinder. One side of the rod is out of round. (not being replaced) The shop could not get a good head from Honda as of november. All winter I have heard nothing.

In short it blew up last july. It had oil in it. I was just cruising down the road. The whole top end is gone including the head. Small score in the cylinder. One side of the rod is out of round. (not being replaced) The shop could not get a good head from Honda as of november. All winter I have heard nothing.

So you have an 06 650L in the shop and they are telling you they can't get a good head from Honda? As in free replacement or Honda just don't have any?

I hate to sound skeptical, but they sound a little shady to me. Do you have a place to work on it yourself? If so, you could save some real cash. Even if you are not familiar with rebuilding a bike, you are posting in a great place to ask questions! :lol:

I didn't see the original post and don't know the whole situation, but here's what I would do if you the space to work on it. Go get the bike back and do it yourself. Even if you have to buy tools to work on it, you will still come out cheaper than having the shop do it and you will have a nice set of tools to keep after you are done. Not to mention, the pride of doing it yourself.

Just my two pennies...good luck!

:worthy:

No its not free. I am paying for it. Something doesn't line up right. The mechanic seems ok. He rides one that he roded up. Its an animal! He wanted to just send one to the machine shop and the honda rep said no.

No its not free. I am paying for it. Something doesn't line up right. The mechanic seems ok. He rides one that he roded up. Its an animal! He wanted to just send one to the machine shop and the honda rep said no.

Sorry, but I am having a hard time understanding the situation. Why would Honda have any say on what you do with your stuff?

They have sent 3 that I know of and he said it was no good. I really dont have a place or really the time to do it myself. He said he would replace the rod too but just the part was $800.00 and he would have to slit the case. I'm getting into more than they would give me on trade in. He said it will probably be ok.

Ok, a piece broke off the inside of the head. It can't be fixed. He ordered a new one from Honda. When he recieved it, it was no good. He had them send him another and that one was no good. They told him they will have to search the ware house and check them before they could send another.

He is lying to you, straight up. Honda doesn't send out heads that are 'no good'. That is utter BS unless it was damaged in shipping, but twice?? Anyways he sounds like he doesn't want to do the work. I'd call a Honda regional rep if you are trying to get this warranteed or something, otherwise go get the bike back and take it to someone who will fix it. The time you spent posting about it here could have been spent researching a good wrench in your area and buying a used head on Ebay and freshening it up.

He is lying to you, straight up. Honda doesn't send out heads that are 'no good'. That is utter BS unless it was damaged in shipping, but twice?? Anyways he sounds like he doesn't want to do the work. I'd call a Honda regional rep if you are trying to get this warranteed or something, otherwise go get the bike back and take it to someone who will fix it. The time you spent posting about it here could have been spent researching a good wrench in your area and buying a used head on Ebay and freshening it up.

Word!!!

2nd that! :lol:

+3 That is some straight bullshit there. No company no matter who it is sends out bad parts. Shipping possibly but twice... I am not buying that. If you have to pay for it and it is not under warranty. Honda has no business telling you what or how or who to use on YOUR bike. I in agreement it sounds like that guy dosen't want to work on the bike. Have you been back there since then and made sure they still have it. There is no way I would let someone keep my bike that long. Even if they didn't have the parts I would take it back home and keep it until they had the parts to put on.

sounds fishy. if i were you i would pick up my bike immediately and either:

A - take it somewhere else

B - just buy a new motor on ebay

Sounds like a big hullabaloo to me!!

How could Honda send the wrong head for an XR650??

And 800 bucks for a connecting rod?? Now thats just plain highway robbery!!

I'd be getting my bike out of there

What would I do?

I would call the Honda rep first, discuss the matter with him and get myself up to speed on the actual situation.

Then, with this information, I would make the decision as to collect the bike and go elsewhere, fix it myself, or sell it for parts.

Could you tell me where I could get the number for a rep? I guess I feel I got a lemon and if honda cant do something to make it right then I will sell it off for parts. It sucks because I really liked that bike. I'm 47 years old and I only rode it back and forth to work and my hard to get to fishing spots. I'm not a speed freak nor a wheelie king. In fact I only wore out 1 rear tire and the front is original. I think your right about him not wanting to fix it because he even said the rod should be replaced but it may be ok. He didn't lie to me on the price of the rod. He showed me it in the book. I really don't think he wants to turn out a piece of crap. What would you say would be a square deal?

bikebandit.com lists the entire OEM crankshaft with connecting rod installed for $622.00, there could be lower prices out there, that is just one that I googled.

Try calling Honda Powersports Customer Relations, the Honda site won't pop up the contact page for Powersports when I tried, so try the contact number for Automotive Customer Relations and see if they will give you the number or at least transfer your call. Toll free; 1-800-999-1009.

Now, would you mind telling us what happened when your bike packed it in, specifically, what were the signs and symptoms? I looked back on your previous posts and couldn't find anything.

Hubb - I've done a top end rebuild on an XR, I even made a thread about it. I'm not sure what part of New York you are in but I wouldn't mind helping you out.

If I were you , I would find another guy or a shop close to you and let him look everything over. Buy the head from eBay (if there is even anything wrong with yours). The cylinder can be bored .25 mm oversize to remove any scoring by any engine shop. You can buy a Honda OEM .25mm oversize piston and ring set. I'm sure your connecting rod is fine for the type of riding you do, seriously. If the pin goes in and spins freely, it is fine.

If you can't find anyone locally to do the work, I'm not more than a few hours away from you. If you want to talk about working something out, send me a PM.

Lastly, make sure you get that Honda shop to show you exactly what they say is wrong with your head.