Bikes stolen

Well im in iraq right now and yesterday my wife told me that she went to run some errands and came back and my trailer was gone. I had my 07 yz250f and her 125TT in there. It was freaking 2 PM. Right in broad daylight. They also stole two other trailers beside mine, one had two jet skis. I have renters insurance but they are saying they are not gonna cover it. I looked at my renters policy and it says personal property up to 36,000 bucks but they are saying my dirt bikes are not personal property. Anyone have any experience with this and maybe help me out. Thanks in advance

Home Owner's/Renter's insurance doesn't typically cover vehicles. Some plainly state that if it has a motor, they don't cover it.

Hopefully since they stole a bunch that day, the police will get on it, and get yours back. If that happens, put insurance on 'em right away. I would think maybe $100/year for both is all it'll cost.

if you can have someone look around near by you might find them.

usuaslly its somebody close by that knows your habits.

the same thing happened to a friend of mine and he found the trailer a few miles away.

hope you find it,thank you for your service in iraq stay safe:thumbsup:

Well im in iraq right now and yesterday my wife told me that she went to run some errands and came back and my trailer was gone. I had my 07 yz250f and her 125TT in there. It was freaking 2 PM. Right in broad daylight. They also stole two other trailers beside mine, one had two jet skis. I have renters insurance but they are saying they are not gonna cover it. I looked at my renters policy and it says personal property up to 36,000 bucks but they are saying my dirt bikes are not personal property. Anyone have any experience with this and maybe help me out. Thanks in advance

That is correct. I spoke to my wife (insurance broker) about it and that is correct. Unlessl you specifically told the insureance co about it and had a seperate policy for that, you are SOL. The only thing that could happen is the actual owner made a claim but that isn't likely to happen.

My buddies have been tossing around the idea of getting a trailer and keeping bikes and sleds in it. Time and Time again I see things like this getting stolen and its not worth it. Good Luck.

I've seen it go both ways. Depending on how hard you fight it. I am in the military as well (84 days to retirement, woohoo!). The 2 cases I'd seen win was that the owners pushed the issue that they are for recreation and not licensed. They even brought up the fact that even the military covers motorcycles as household goods. After about 6 weeks of fighting it, they got a dimunitive value. BUt there were quite afew other cases where the insurance companies didn't care and just dropped the case. I can say that USAA will work with you to a point but has stiff regs. Geico sux on this issue. They don't care, they just want their money for their stupid commercials. Farmers Group, I believe, was one of the ones that actually paid. The other was Ky farm bureau.

Good luck, and I know it sux being 10,000 miles away when this happens.

my insurance agent told me that if it has ( or is supposed to have lol) a title, then it needs its own insurance.

Hope you get your stuff back

The only way I know to possibly get them covered is to convince the insurance adjuster that you used them at your house or cabin as a means of working on the property- ie. moving and cutting logs, pulling stumps out or dragging a grate to get rid of weeds, etc. You get the point.

I was a insurance investigator for a few years back in the day and that is pretty much the only way we would cover them and it should state that in your HO Policy. I believe it says used in conjunction with maintaining the property...

Also, if your loss exceeds the amount they will pay they usually will absorb your deductible, meaning add it into your loss so it is not deducted.

Hope that helps and good luck.

What part of Georgia are you in?

Was the trailer enclosed?

Hey man, I live north of atlanta and go ride out at durham town and highland park along with other orv areas around. Post up a good description and I'll post it over on our local dirt riders website for everyone to keep an eye out. It sounds like this is happening a ton all over Georgia. I would have your wife contact the local dealers and put up flyers in their shops. My brother just got back from Iraq (he is stationed at Fort Hood) so anything I can do to help out, let me know.