1300ml's comes out, 1600ml's goes in???

*** is going on here. Every time i've changed my oil I get about 2000-2100ml's of oil come out and the same amount goes back in. I know my oil level has been at least a 'little bit' low. But 1300ml's? can't be as 1600 went back in and now its level.... but the question is where is the other 300ml hiding?

I just took the bike for a ride so the oil was nice and hot. Didn't do anything differently to how I normally drop the oil. Let it sit on its side stand till the oil stops pouring, tilt it upright, tilt it to the right side, back on the sidestand and repeat 2 or 3 times.

Sounds definately like PFM to me partner!!:lol::worthy:

seriously though are you changing the filter when you do this? as quite abit can hide in there maybe burning some?

it is either burning or leaking oil.........

Oil cooler? Do you always check it and drain it right after running the engine? How's the oil level in your air box you wheelie monster?! :lol:

Oil cooler? Do you always check it and drain it right after running the engine? How's the oil level in your air box you wheelie monster?! :lol:

maybe stuck in the oil cooler I guess but never had that problem.

On a side note I managed to bust not 1, but both tubes at the same time today. We tipped the bike upside down to take the wheels off and some oil was dripping out the back of the seat. I'm guessing there would have been some oil in the airbox, but is there any way for it to drain directly from the gearbox to the airbox if the bike is upside down?

might be something to do with that pipe that runs from the crankcase to the air box........ ya know... for breathing / pressure sorta reasons...

We tipped the bike upside down to take the wheels off and some oil was dripping out the back of the seat.

Holy crap:eek: i used to do that to my BMX when i was a kid but i would never, actually physicaly could never do that to a 350lb dirtbike just to remove the wheels holy cow you must be a huge dude :lol:

maybe stuck in the oil cooler I guess but never had that problem.

On a side note I managed to bust not 1, but both tubes at the same time today. We tipped the bike upside down to take the wheels off and some oil was dripping out the back of the seat. I'm guessing there would have been some oil in the airbox, but is there any way for it to drain directly from the gearbox to the airbox if the bike is upside down?

Yes, as Moto Psycho mentioned, the vent line that travels from the back of your gear box up under the tank and then back to your air box would likely fill with oil with the machine upside down. I'd let the vent line(s) drain back for awhile and clean out the bottom of your air box. :worthy: As long as you run the bike just before checking oil level you'll find that 2 quarts will bring the oil level to the proper range on the sight glass during an oil change with filter. Always choose slightly under filled instead of over filled. :lol:

1 other thing to keep note of, is that EVERY ENGINE USES OIL, you will not find an engine that doesnt drink at least a little bit of oil, even from brand new. many new vehicles state what oil consumption is normal in the service manuals, and older ones just the same (except older vehicles would say 1 pint to 100 hours life or whatever, where as never vehicles will say 1 litre to so many thousand miles). thumpers are notorious for drinking oil. plus, whats wrong with putting a little drizzle of fresh oil in the engine every week?!

If I was to be putting a "little drizzel" of fresh oil in my DR 650 each week it would soon fill up the air box. :p My bike uses no perceptible amount of oil between oil changes. I have always been amazed about that but I hear the same thing from other DR owners. Then there are the XRL and KLR owners that have to carry oil with them. I'm glad I went with the DR. :ride:

mines 15 years old :p

thats normal....the engine burns some oil and the filter holds a bunch as well...nothing to worry about

Holy crap:eek: i used to do that to my BMX when i was a kid but i would never, actually physicaly could never do that to a 350lb dirtbike just to remove the wheels holy cow you must be a huge dude :moon:

key word there is 'we' there were 3 of us :ride:

That said I can tip my bike upside down. I've lifted it up off its side no problems and at present I only weigh a measly 74kg down from 100kg :p

Well i must be wimpy than :p as i am 190lbs and i was out for a ride the other day slipped on some seriously slimy clay and dropped it over on its side and i had to lift it up twice and drag it about 10' and i was sh!tt!n lockwashers i almost gave up! you my friend, @ 160lbs are superhuman :ride::moon: :moon:

Well i must be wimpy than :p as i am 190lbs and i was out for a ride the other day slipped on some seriously slimy clay and dropped it over on its side and i had to lift it up twice and drag it about 10' and i was sh!tt!n lockwashers i almost gave up! you my friend, @ 160lbs are superhuman :ride::moon::lol:

maybe thats a new topic? 'post pics of you picking up your DR' :moon:

Don't feel too bad, I did used to go to the gym and only about 1.5 years ago I could deadlift 120kg (265lb) and leg pressed about 330kg (730lb). I've since stopped and only gone a couple times. Can't do those figures anymore though. All I know is I can definately pick a DR up off the ground :p

its amazing really, ive never had a problem lifting up a bike, even when i was 17, i weigh about 11 stone (80 something kg). but there is such thing as "THE STRENGTH" i.e. when i came off of my bike on a 45degree slope with the sea to 1 side and the past on the hill to my other

the handlebars and seat were facing down hill, god knly knows how i got it back up there, but i wasnt going to let my bike fall into the sea!!!! kinda like a mother's protective instinct, only manlier!

maybe thats a new topic? 'post pics of you picking up your DR' :ride:

Don't feel too bad, I did used to go to the gym and only about 1.5 years ago I could deadlift 120kg (265lb) and leg pressed about 330kg (730lb). I've since stopped and only gone a couple times. Can't do those figures anymore though. All I know is I can definately pick a DR up off the ground :moon:

Being strong is definitely useful as is having the right technique. IMO every rider who has some common sense should be able to pick up his own bike in any situation. So either choose the appropriate size right away or go to the gym to get stronger (everybody should be doing this anyway to stay fit an healthy). :p

And I don't want to burst anybodys bubble but with a 120kg deadlift at 74kg bodyweight you are still a novice: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html

So back to the gym you go! :moon:

actually, coming to think of it, i had trouble once

id had a couple of beers, got on my xj400n and rode off.... wait, no i didnt, i left the disc brake lock in the front. took me about 10 minutes to get out from underneath that as my legs had twisted round the wrong way!

dont drink and ride :p

And I don't want to burst anybodys bubble but with a 120kg deadlift at 74kg bodyweight you are still a novice: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html

So back to the gym you go! :moon:

:p:ride: i was proud of that cause only the big guys were doing those weights, none of my friends could break 80kg or so

Holy crap:eek: i used to do that to my BMX when i was a kid but i would never, actually physicaly could never do that to a 350lb dirtbike just to remove the wheels holy cow you must be a huge dude :moon:
I can get my DR to rest upside down on the bars and rear fender all by my self no problem... All I have to do is mash the throttle wide open in first or second gear and its upside down :p:ride: