Reviews On 2008 Kx450f

I bought an 08' KX450 about 3 weeks ago. IMO all the 08's are great. Here are some things I have run across with mine. First off the stock exhaust is terrible sounding. Its quiet at idle but once you crack the throttle it's LOUD. Second the gearing and shifting is not up to par compared to the Hondas. I feel the shifting is not smooth and it needs about 2 teeth more on the rear sprocket for my likes. Third, the stock chain guide/block is junk. Wears to fast and makes lots of noise from chain slap. Needs replaced with something like the T.M Designworks guide. Another complaint is the tire size. I forget what size the bike comes with stock but they dont work. And last I feel the stock air cleaner doesnt form a tight seal with the air box. I'm thinking of going with the Loud Mouth set up. I'm sure all the other 08' brands have their little problems too. Hope this helps.

My only complaint is a little hard shifting when you really get on the gas from 2nd to third. Otherwise, I love mine! For me the power was a little deceiving..its so easy to ride that you feel like your going slow but in reality you are flying past the red machines:busted:? That was when my bike was stock of course:smirk: No seriously though, great bike. I have 41hrs on mine including a HC piston and have 0 problem since its birth

My only complaint is a little hard shifting when you really get on the gas from 2nd to third. Otherwise, I love mine! For me the power was a little deceiving..its so easy to ride that you feel like your going slow but in reality you are flying past the red machines:busted:? That was when my bike was stock of course:smirk: No seriously though, great bike. I have 41hrs on mine including a HC piston and have 0 problem since its birth

I agree. The power is really smooth. A little deceiving.

I never had a problem with shifting on mine,but I always felt the forks never agreed with me.

Only complaints I have are front end push and it feels like a bigger bike than most.

Oh yeah the stock tires sucked too.

I had put a x-ring chain on it, revalved suspension and good tires and it was way better.

I put a aluminum throttle tube,a bearing clutch lever and some pro taper bars and upper clamps to help keep the controls consistent.

The mufflers are loud when the throttle opens so I went with a fmf q4 but that is just personal prefference.

very reliable bike so far at about 40 hours.

Only complaints I have are front end push and it feels like a bigger bike than most.
The "push" word confuses me. Could mean A) front is biting too much/soon upon steering, so chassis stands up and drifts wide, or could mean? front not biting, and sliding due to a traction control issue (weight, dampers, tires, etc). Sometimes people experience A (so they move body weight back) followed by B.

You did all the usual stuff like, less sag, bars fwd, raise the forks in the clamps, tried slower fork rebound?

Yeah big bike, perhaps foot pegs more fwd than some other brands, but I've not measured and we NEVER see specs on peg positions. I'm 5'9" and with a low seat the bike does not feel big at all.

My only complaint is a little hard shifting when you really get on the gas from 2nd to third.
I think you're the first to say that about the 08. Same on my 06. I thought that was fixed a little in the 07 and 100% in the 08 model. I guess manufacturing tolerances. You tried/using Rotella or diff oils?

The "push" word confuses me. Could mean A) front is biting too much/soon upon steering, so chassis stands up and drifts wide, or could mean? front not biting, and sliding due to a traction control issue (weight, dampers, tires, etc). Sometimes people experience A (so they move body weight back) followed by B.

You did all the usual stuff like, less sag, bars fwd, raise the forks in the clamps, tried slower fork rebound?

Yeah big bike, perhaps foot pegs more fwd than some other brands, but I've not measured and we NEVER see specs on peg positions. I'm 5'9" and with a low seat the bike does not feel big at all.

I think you're the first to say that about the 08. Same on my 06. I thought that was fixed a little in the 07 and 100% in the 08 model. I guess manufacturing tolerances. You tried/using Rotella or diff oils?

I've read a few reviews of hard shifting on here. But it is very rare and it only happens when I am really on the gas out of tight corners onto straights. I'm also not afraid to say that this could be because of pilot (me) error:thumbsup:

Like someone mentioned earlier I've also had the shifting problem but only when extremely hard conditions...I.E when drag racing in the dunes I sometimes have a hard time shifting from the lower gears but that might be my sorry butt..also the stock chain guide is complete garbage. other than that I love the bike..tons of low-mid hit:worthy:?:worthy:

also the stock chain guide is complete garbage.
I've done 90 hrs on the stock chain guide. Getting a bit worn now, but should be good for another 50 hrs. BUT I run a 49 or 48 rear sprocket. Also I believe a stiff/draggy o-ring chain does not fling out too much.

• 12 years later...

im going to get a good condition 2008 450f in about 30 min for 2200! is that ok deal bike runs great no issues so they say. it looks very nice > first 450 ive bought . did i &%$#@! up or is it relibale as this fourm says ! any advice helps guys 

15 minutes ago, jsteele88 said:

im going to get a good condition 2008 450f in about 30 min for 2200! is that ok deal bike runs great no issues so they say. it looks very nice > first 450 ive bought . did i &%$#@! up or is it relibale as this fourm says ! any advice helps guys 

Depends totally on the condition of the machine. It's a 15 year old motocross bike, it won't be flawless.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I just bought a really good condition 08 KLX450F yesterday and I am pleased as punch ! The bike has front and rear shock upgrades for a bigger guy like me, handle bar risers and a few other things as well. I have owned a Yamaha YZ450F and a WR 450F. Nice enough bikes but this Kawi will chew them up IMHO. The electric start compared to my WR is way better too.

So far So good.

• Like 1