Sign in to follow this  

After Market Crank Kit? Yay or Nay

So im ordering parts for my 03'yz 250

I am trying to decide to rebuild the stock crank or go with an after market kit.

I have heard mixed reveiws on aftermarket kits, things like they are commin undersized and going through bearings...

I was just figuring on rebuilding the stock crank.

thoughts and suggestions.....

I am trying to decide to rebuild the stock crank or go with an after market kit.

I have heard mixed reveiws on aftermarket kits, things like they are commin undersized and going through bearings...

I ordered the complete crank assembly Monday morning for my 1998 YZ250. I went Stock just because I know the darned thing was thrashed for 11+ years and is only now .2mm out of spec.

I wouldn't be surprised if I could have continued using it, to be honest. I just wanted to play it safe. "Safe" to me means using OEM Parts.

It really depends how much you want to spend also... the OEM is pricey and I have heard good things about HotRods and Wiseco which are both very well priced. I just put a Wiseco crank kit in my 03 and it looks alot stronger than stock. So far i got 5 hours on it with no problems.:lol:

I installed a Wiseco kit in my 01 YZ 250. Didn't last long at all. Clutch side main bearing went out and there was play in the rod at 30 hours. I had to split the cases again. This time I just had my stock crank rebuilt with oem parts. The Wiseco kit was cheap, but ended up costing me in the long run. That said, I've heard a lot of people have had good luck with them, so maybe I just got a bum kit.

I have put nearly 100 hrs on my wiseco crank since last year and it is fine. Will run it another year before replacing it again(200 hrs)

I've used both Wiseco and Hotrods cranks with no problems.