new (to me) 86 xr600r

ok guys...i'm new to the XR world. i race mx and hare scrambles. i'm currently in school and work full time so my time is pretty limited as far as riding goes. i have i decided to pick this up to rebuild and race in the vintage class in our hare scramble series. should be a blast...

any words of advise? any issues i should really be aware of as far as the 86's go? (i heard 3rd gear is a downfall) good places to get parts for these?

i will be stripping it completely down, powder coating everything i can and wanting to make it raceable. it is not clean and it doesn't run. the guys says it needs a new coil and fresh gas and it'll start right up...but that seems pretty hard to beleive.

i noticed was return spring on the kick start is gone...i've never tried kicking one of these over but common sense would say it's a beast. i mean it is a 600 lol... i also noticed the chain guard (case saver) is missing and the case is cracked where the bolts would screw in...:lol:

Feb18_0003.jpg

Feb18_00011.jpg

Feb20_0009.jpg

i'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 125 so i wont be able to start digging into this thing until i get my work bench cleaned off.

again, anything you guys can think of would be awesome!

Wow you got your hands full with this one. Like you said, 3rd gear and 2nd tend to chip and pit, I just replaced both of them on the mainshaft. Make sure to check the gears on the countershaft too. Other than that these bikes are bullet-proof. Just check everything for wear and abuse and replace as necessary. Good luck

The stators are also known for going bad more often than the coils or CDIs. If the cranking spark is weak, check the stator first.

They really aren't hard to kick if you use the compression release properly and do the "starting drill." The kickstart spring is also fairly easy to replace. All you have to do is take the clutch cover off, remove two retainer screws, and wiggle the kickstart shaft out.

sweet bike how much did u get it for

The stators are also known for going bad more often than the coils or CDIs. If the cranking spark is weak, check the stator first.

They really aren't hard to kick if you use the compression release properly and do the "starting drill." The kickstart spring is also fairly easy to replace. All you have to do is take the clutch cover off, remove two retainer screws, and wiggle the kickstart shaft out.

thanks...i'm going to have to redo all the wiring on it anyway so i'll be checking the stator and cdi because someone has fiddled with it and it doesnt even look safe to sit on muchless ride. i take it this thing doesnt have auto decomp? i think i see where one should be mounted onto the side here but there are no cables attached...hm...

i paid 300...

i really want to put a set of 05crf450 forks and front end on it but then i wouldnt be able to race in the evo class ...i'm not sure where this project is going to take me.

any good places to buy cheap parts (besides thumpertalk and ebay) any xr only websites that specialize in this bikes.

1.) i take it this thing doesnt have auto decomp? i think i see where one should be mounted onto the side here but there are no cables attached...hm...

2.) any good places to buy cheap parts (besides thumpertalk and ebay) any xr only websites that specialize in this bikes.

The engine actually has two. One compression release is tied to the kickstarter by a cable that runs up by the right exhaust valve. The second is the manual release located between and above the carbs on the head cover. That should be connected by cable to a small lever on the handle bars.

The automatic one works, but many people(including myself) opt to use only the manual release.

2.) I can think of one place that specializes in XRs Only. It's called.....XRs Only. :lol: Well, these days they support 4-strokes in general.

I have the same bike, mine runs. The auto decompressor isn't necessary at all. Just learn to use the lever and you will never have to kick it very hard. I've been seriously considering making a video of how to start these things. Maybe the moderators would put it in the FAQ section.

As for the forks, I wouldn't bother. Just give the stockers a tune-up and they'll get you through anything. That is, unless you plan on doing motocross jumps and such.

The engine side cases don't look too worn at all - maybe they've been painted. If you can figure out how to get a good spark, it will probably run quite well. You have an exhaust too - bonus.

The plastics and tank would probably look better with some elbow grease. Wet sand 320 grit to 1000 grit or finer then use a polish. You might get surprised.

I can't wait to see the after pictures. :lol:

just got a price on frame (black), lower fork tubes (black), wheels (black), hubs (honda red), triple clamps (black) and swing arm (not sure yet) powder coating. $200 for all of it. just need to find some new spokes.

going to the gncc this weekend so i wont be working on the 125. the sooner i can get the 125 out of here the sooner i can start on the xr...

Put a 18 rear rim and spokes on it so you can use more than two different types of tires. I had to get custom spokes from a place in cali.:thumbsup:

That bike might be a 1983 to 1984 . They had red frame's and plastic. My old 86 had white frame and plastic's. My buddy still ride's his 86 he is a pic 1986XL6002007XR650L.jpg Either way with some TLC and help from everybody on TT she run. It's a Honda !!! The 85's had silver rim's,fork's and swingarm. Did you get a title so you can plate it ?

The 86's have red frames and red plastics, they never came in white. I got a 86 too and at first it was hell to start but after I got used to it. I can start it in one kick.

Yeah, the 1986 XR600 was the first year they had gold rims. Looks like this one does too. Does look to be what you think it is. I think you will really enjoy the beast. I plan to race my '83 XR500 in more than just the vintage class. It isn't all about the bike, more the rider than anything. Most of my riding buddies have CRF and YZ 450's and I find myself waiting for them on the trail. They only beat me in a drag. But what are these bikes for, anyway?

I had one of those (well, maybe a little nicer). The thing ran great- better than the '95 I had after it. With the dual carbs you don't have a stumble when you whack the throttle open like a large single (non pumper) carb gives you. The 17" rear wheel does limit tire choices.

That bike is basically the same bike as a 2000, except for the rear disk, single carb and 18" wheel. Good project.

Dan

See all that white crap on the guard and tank..It can be removed by using a blade from a Window scraper..These are used to scrape off masking tape and paint overrun on windows. What you do is hold it and drag it towards you in a sort of upright position over the surfaces and it'll take off a shaving of plastic and leave you the original colour. It does tend to leave scrape marks however careful you are though. If you aren't a complete fuss pot it's an adequate finish but does take a bit of time and possibly sanding after may get rid of the marks but I've never been successful in finding any sandpaper that'll cut into that plastic..It appears to not like being sanded..I've found nothing else really works to get that crap off..

Sorry !!! My mistake , I was thinking XL not XR, I must have dualsport on the brain !! The XR's were red.