When were they yellow?

I have been trying to figure out what years the yz's were yellow/black?

bikepics.com has got some many dumbaxx's posting the wrong model, year and bike everywhere i dont believe whats on there.....

I thought they were yellow until '84, and 85 was the 1st red/white????

Also holy crap do the late 70's model yz's bring alot of money!!! i see average/not raceable ones going for well over $1000!!!! and semi-restored ones are usually 2k or more!

Oh yeah if you know what year they went to the single swingarm i'd like to know that too!

Actually the white/red/black is yamaha Corperate color scheme ever noticed how all your OEM parts stickers have this scheme going on.

Yellow n Black first year was '75 thru '84 I believe it was a marketing thing (for U.S. only too) I vaguely remember them calling it competetion yellow n black. I used to have this old yamaha banner in yellow n black that said yamaha the way it should be.

Actually the white/red/black is yamaha Corperate color scheme ever noticed how all your OEM parts stickers have this scheme going on.

Yellow n Black first year was '75 thru '84 I believe it was a marketing thing (for U.S. only too) I vaguely remember them calling it competetion yellow n black. I used to have this old yamaha banner in yellow n black that said yamaha the way it should be.

74 MX was the first yellow.

75 MX was white.

75 YZ 360 yellow and all YZ's

to 84 were yellow.

I still think that yellow and

white should be the only

Yamaha colors and I love the blue.

74 MX was the first yellow.

75 MX was white.

75 YZ 360 yellow and all YZ's

to 84 were yellow.

I still think that yellow and

white should be the only

Yamaha colors and I love the blue.

At least offer the white or yellow color scheme new from the factory for another $100 or so. It may increase sales even. If the F bike gets the white edition, why not ours???

• Like 1

At least offer the white or yellow color scheme new from the factory for another $100 or so. It may increase sales even. If the F bike gets the white edition, why not ours?? :busted:
Ya since it was the YZ250 and YZ125 that earned carried Yamaha to where it is today....
:banghead::worthy:?

not 84 it was 82. I have a friend with a 81 yz 125 which is yellow. i have had 2 82 yz 80 and 2 82 yz 125's and all where red and white. I know over seas they didn't change tell a later year.

You're in Canada so things may have been different up there.

I remember the '82 80 and 125 had that ridiculous radiator behind the number plate. It of course was yellow with a most excellent number one on the number plates. In '83 came gold rims and the 125/250 rear shock went from horizontal to an angle.? Color was Yellow. It was either '84 or '85 where they turned white and red here in the U.S. It could've been '86 though too. I had a '85 KX125 back then so I didn't really care. :worthy::banghead:

You're in Canada so things may have been different up there.

I remember the '82 80 and 125 had that ridiculous radiator behind the number plate. It of course was yellow with a most excellent number one on the number plates. In '83 came gold rims and the 125/250 rear shock went from horizontal to an angle.? Color was Yellow. It was either '84 or '85 where they turned white and red here in the U.S. It could've been '86 though too. I had a '85 KX125 back then so I didn't really care. :worthy::banghead:

HAHAHA ya that rad was a pain in the but, all my yz's with the rad on the bars would leak at the joint through the frame. Ok I didn't know US and Canada where different. Mine even had the bling gold rims!!!!

My last yellow n black YZ was an '82 YZ 100 it still had the air cooled motor all new that year was one of the good handling YZ's no raditor on the forks. I was like a tooth pick on that back then racing 125's! I sadly sold it for a freakin blaster in '88! I went through this short quad phase.

My last yellow n black YZ was an '82 YZ 100 it still had the air cooled motor all new that year was one of the good handling YZ's no raditor on the forks. I was like a tooth pick on that back then racing 125's! I sadly sold it for a freakin blaster in '88! I went through this short quad phase.

At least it was a Yamaha two stroke!?

Okay folks, here's the deal.

US-market Yamaha YZs were yellow and black from 1975 through 1984.

Overseas and Canadian market YZs went to the white and red long before us, sometime in the 1970s. This explains why you see confusing images of early 80s models.

YZs were white and red worldwide from 1985 through 1990, with the exception of the 1989 and 1990 YZ250WR, which was white and blue. The 1990 factory race bikes had a very hideous white with dayglo orange seat cover look.

1991 and 1992 models were white and magenta (each year a slightly different shade).

1993 YZs were white ad purple...1994 they went to a purple frame as well. The 95s had a slightly different color purple. 95 factory race bikes were blue.

In 1996, they were dark blue/white. 1997s were navy blue. and so on.

Trust me on this. I grew up with 80s and early 90s YZs...from an 83 YZ60 to a 1993 YZ125 that had a pro built motor based on what the factory was running. (final year for the rotating drum powervalve and hp secrets were easy to come by).

I wrote school papers on Bradshaw and got Emig to sign my 91 YZ125's front fender in '92 at the nat'l. I was a YZ guy in an era when it was NOT COOL.?

• Like 1