Cycle World letter to editor

Just got my latest issue. Low and behold a high-lited letter to the editor regarding dual sport riding and and open request to jap bike manufact to the build our 6-speed 450cc dream bike. Did anyone else catch this? The letter even mentions the DRZ400S by name. Is the guy who penned this letter a member here? Lets hope that Suzuki/Honda/Yam/Kaw et al take notice.

Just got my latest issue. Low and behold a high-lited letter to the editor regarding dual sport riding and and open request to jap bike manufact to the build our 6-speed 450cc dream bike. Did anyone else catch this? The letter even mentions the DRZ400S by name. Is the guy who penned this letter a member here? Lets hope that Suzuki/Honda/Yam/Kaw et al take notice.

ehhh, if they made it a 450 insuring it would be twice as expensive, like 90-100$ a month. instead of40-50 for the 400.

they should upgrade the 400 as it is(with a 6speed, FI, aluminum frame and mx suspension:thumbsup: ) and introduce a similarly equiped 525-550 model. nothing as impractical as the imported mid size rippers.

actually what i would really like from the japanese 4, is a roadlegal, HOT, liquidcooled 650 dualsport with modern suspension. something like an LC4, te610 or the offroad XR650r.

but no, they make 25 year old aircooled bikes(dr and xr) with equally antiquated suspension and then a liquidcooled obese slow pondering klr with shock that belong on a 125 trailbike.

unrelated rant over:banghead:

Diablo, so why not just get the TE? I've only heard GOOD things about it

here in manitoba the cut-offs in insurance bracketing goes from <499cc.500-999cc and >1000. and it is $1600 for me to insure my DRZ. IF it was say a gsx-r750 it would be over$2500.

But here the cost of insurance is mostly dependent on power/weight ratio. A klr-650 or whatever its moniker is cheaper than the DRZ-400 even though they are both catergorized as dual-sports and worth similar in value and the KLR is bigger than 500cc but it is cheaper because it has a lower power/weight ratio.

So bring on the 450 or the 470 or the 499 please just not 500 or greater

if you want Suzuki.

No need for FI, a properly jetted FCR would be just fine. FI would only increase the cost and possibly the reliability so leave it on the design floor.

Why would they put MX suspension on a dual sport? Again, not cost effective and dual sports aren't the ideal bike to buy if your planning to race or do serious off road.

Now the 6 speed is something that should have been there from the get go, they need to make this happen.

Bumping the displacement is subjective, they could bump it to 450 or so.

Diablo, so why not just get the TE? I've only heard GOOD things about it

thought about it, but i am pretty sure there isnt a husqvarna dealership ANYWHERE in British columbia. certainly not with 5 hours of driving.

well, not really mx suspension, just a bit better would be ok.

and dont all bike have to have FI by 2010 anyways?

5 th gear in richmond by pacific bmw are husky dealers! sm/te 610 spendy but beautiful. if you have the means ...!

here in manitoba the cut-offs in insurance bracketing goes from <499cc.500-999cc and >1000. and it is $1600 for me to insure my DRZ. IF it was say a gsx-r750 it would be over$2500.

But here the cost of insurance is mostly dependent on power/weight ratio. A klr-650 or whatever its moniker is cheaper than the DRZ-400 even though they are both catergorized as dual-sports and worth similar in value and the KLR is bigger than 500cc but it is cheaper because it has a lower power/weight ratio.

So bring on the 450 or the 470 or the 499 please just not 500 or greater

if you want Suzuki.

That's nuts....In Quebec, the DRZ (Or anything under 400cc) is one class above mopeds. It's only costing me 270 a year for full coverage...The flip side of that coin is that you have to put up with the political/language BS...

The US is very expensive on insurance. Didn't cost me shit for my zx10 in sweden

Its because of all the peeps that buy a sportbike and never ridden and write off their bikes that insurance has skyrocketed for everyone. That is why they use the power/weight system but HD guys get it the worst. Their's cost +$3000 the insurance agent told my because they are high risk of to be stolen she said.

We also are forced to go through a training course that costs +/-$275 depending on which one you take the short or the long(short costs more). Another cash grab.

write off their bikes?

cause enough damage to the bike so that repairing it (by thier calculations) would be more costly than replacing it.

Add a gear and shave some weight off the pig and I figure the DRZ is damn close.

The motor is easy to live with and can put out what ever power your wallet can stand. Within reason.

The suspension can certainly be dialed in to rider and conditions. Except early "S" models.

But that 6th gear and the weight. Those are tough to get around.

Gotcha!

Im trying to understand how it would be so expensive to insure a Z. I pay $130 per year for everything but collision, with a low deductible. If I added collision it would go up to $400 ish a year. I dont think I could bring myself to pay the value of my bike every two years to insure it. There is something very wrong with that.

Would a 450DRZ, if they ever actually made it, be that much more expensive to insure?

thought about it, but i am pretty sure there isnt a husqvarna dealership ANYWHERE in British columbia. certainly not with 5 hours of driving.

well, not really mx suspension, just a bit better would be ok.

and dont all bike have to have FI by 2010 anyways?

when you say all have to be FI does that mean that you cant operate carborated?? or that you can't buy them?

Prices quoated for the month of February 09 at a Husky dealer in San Francisco, for 08 models.

SM610 $6995 OTD

SM510 $7215 OTD

SM450 $6655 OTD

TE250 $6395 OTD

TE450 $6695 OTD

The TE450 is only 1K more then I paid for my DRZ. :worthy: These are affordable prices for sure. :lol:

i think the EFI thing will be on the manufacturers problem, as we wouldnt be able to buy them. not gonna affect those already in use

Im trying to understand how it would be so expensive to insure a Z. I pay $130 per year for everything but collision, with a low deductible. If I added collision it would go up to $400 ish a year. I dont think I could bring myself to pay the value of my bike every two years to insure it. There is something very wrong with that.

Would a 450DRZ, if they ever actually made it, be that much more expensive to insure?

see thats the thing about canada. you pay 130 $ per year for liability?

as it is now i would pay 400-500(depending on license discount) per year on the DRZ, if the bumped it up past the 400 class, that would make it 900-1000$ per year. for minimum liability.

What about the TE 610 prices?

still a fraction of what it is here

400-500(depending on license discount) per year on the DRZ