Sign in to follow this  

Massachusetts to Cali. on my trusty DRZ

On February 2nd I left my house in the Masshole for my friends house in Atlanta GA. When I left for Atlanta the snowbanks were about as high as my bike. 10degrees:banghead: :lol::worthy: . I the last two days I rode 840 miles from Atlanta to Houston TX to visit my cousins. Now its in the 70s and nice and humid!!!:banghead::busted::lol:

This is my first time riding a motorcycle for more then 140 miles straight and two things are really starting to make me angry!! First after about 300 miles without stopping my ass becomes so sore that I need to move my leg over the seat and sling my ass off the side going 73mph. When I stop for gas I pop a few advil. its funny because I though people that complained about this seat were winers...I rode my bike 9 hours on a piece of leather pressing on my Arethra Franklin lol...not fun. lets just say I am lucky after all the long distance mountain biking I have done to still have a fuctional downstairs...lol

second, I am on a really tight budget. but I cant help but think there needs to be a way to make a cheap windshield. after all I make my own motorcycle luggage in Atlata for $7. check out the rubbermaid in the picture (I couldnt validate paying over $200 for a box...thats just me

oh yea a little about me: Imm 18. I graduated early from HS. After spending months reading and learning about my Z thanks to all of you here on TT. I took off on this here trip because that is my idea of fun. I will be staying with friends or sleeping in a bivy tent. When I get to LA I am going on this trail I heard about that goes from LA to Vegas. I am spending alot of time in Pheonix where I am going to figure out which business classes I am going to sign up for. I am going to ASU in august

Mods. First off I really dont care about preformance mods....I pretty much only care about reliability and gas millage because I dont have much money.

case savers, hand guards, rad. guards, cage over headlight (thanks to Bayu Biker), mcct, shikano tires (so cheap and nice), ebay tailrack and side racks, homeade rubbermaid storage (u-bolted to tailrack), pro taper bars, aceribis 4 gal tank, locking gascap, bigger footpegs, msr shifter, moose chain, steel sprockets, new wheel bearings, fuel screw, kickstand and clutch saftey taken off, cut front fender (in atlanta) and shrouds, tt axle sliders, eddie's super starter kit probly more....

With the right gearing, I think the DRZ sm makes a great touring bike as long as you travel light. I've taken mine on some trips (500+ miles). I run a 38t rear and carry a 14 and 16t front just in case.

Tony

On to the trip, pictures are worth a thousand words. If you want to see them all click the link to my photobucket.

where is the link?

ATL Supercross

0221091922.jpg

0221091922e.jpg

Dammit. $150 ticket for going three miles an hour faster then the guy in front of me.............:lol::worthy::banghead::busted:

0225091125.jpg

0225090722.jpg

That $150 would have bought a nice windshield.

Of course if you're in the South you gotta stop at a Waffle House. Love the pic in your driveway -- even here in the tundra of Minnesota, it's rare to see someone on a DRZ (or any bike) with that much snow on the ground.

Great trip!

Holy hell man, across the country on a DRZ???? Talk about besmirching the prune bag!

Nothing but respect for you man! That is TOUGH!!!!! Awesome trip.

I hope your wife doesn't mind you being sterile when your journey is over (or is that the idea?) :lol:

There's been a couple people that have posted threads about making their own windshields for very cheap. I'm too lazy to search for ya, but I remember them being very affordable and easy to do....easy enough that you could probably go to the hardware store and get one made for the rest of your journey.

Looks like a lot of fun other than the serious a** pain. Ride safe!

I hope your wife doesn't mind you being sterile when your journey is over (or is that the idea?) :lol:

we will find out if I am sterile. I have landed a 20ft. road gap on my sack (feet slipped off the pedals)....this trip ain't gonna matter lol.

I miss my GF:cry:

JHAMI.jpg

you know your at a redneck's house when you wake up to this....my gf wouldnt approve lol

0215091454.jpg

thanks alot moose your brand new chain left me in Cedartown GA (according to the friendly southerner who helped me out "the most hillbilly place in the world. hell some folks up here shot down a swat helicopter") imm thinking shittttttttt. great day. 1000 miles on that chain and I always kept it adjusted and lubed. I am lucky my case didnt crack.

0216091224.jpg

0216091204.jpg

my buddy taking a sawzal to my deathwing after I blew it up like an idiot trying to seat it lol. lucky for me I had my 50/50 sitting right there. messed the bead up because I was to lazy to get my tire irons I ziptied to the subframe under the seat. I used this crappy ones at the OHV park....stupid

th_0212091518.jpg

me before my mo hawk. I got from some drunken georgians lol

freddy.jpg

guns are really big here. even the little kids hav em.

d.jpg

my $7 luggage system I am so proud of with my georgian buddy

h.jpg

s.jpg

stuck in the mud

0226091459a.jpg

Today I rode at a park in Spring TX. so much fun!!! first time I ever rode in sand. I have 50/50 tires it was sick. The Z is the best bike in the world, I submurged that thing up to the handlebars and it still popped me out of that creek(not in the video). Its so nice having a bike that just fires up every time, man I love my Z she treats me well:ride: :lol::worthy::banghead::busted:

th_0226091409a.jpg

Enjoy the trip now while you're young. If I need to go from Buffalo to Rochester I'm taking the van. My ass, and more importantly my back, just couldn't take that any more.

Enjoy the trip now while you're young. If I need to go from Buffalo to Rochester I'm taking the van. My ass, and more importantly my back, just couldn't take that any more.

I tell u what man. I wedged my sleeping bag and pad behind my back. bought some highway pegs and I am good to go like a recliner. unfortunatly a recliner with a vibrater from hell installed

i know where you were in spring, i used to live there.... crazy off road area, forget what it was called though... damn memory.