Anyone load into a 5' bed?

Still have yet to load 'er up in my 09 Tacoma Double Cab but am trying to figure how well it will fit. The truck has a 5' bed with a 1 1/2' tailgate. That gives me about 6'8" of bed space.

My bike is 7' from tip to tip. The rear tire foot print is from 6'2" - 6'4". That means the rear tire will stick 4-5" off the back of the tailgate.

It's also a lot of pressure on the tailgate, should I look into reinforcing it?

Any experiences with this subject?

ANY PICTURES OF A SHORT BOX LOADED WITH A FULL SIZE BIKE?

Thanks.

Still have yet to load 'er up in my 09 Tacoma Double Cab but am trying to figure how well it will fit. The truck has a 5' bed with a 1 1/2' tailgate. That gives me about 6'8" of bed space.

My bike is 7' from tip to tip. The rear tire foot print is from 6'2" - 6'4". That means the rear tire will stick 4-5" off the back of the tailgate.

Thanks.

i dont have any pictures but you should be fine. I have a stepside ranger. I know apples and oranges, but i put the old ladies 100 and my 400 in it. [tight sqeeze] lol and my tailgate takes it fine.

Put the bike on the far drivers side and strap it down, once strapped down grab the back tire and drag it to the far passenger side. This wil take up less space length wise. Its the only way I can put my bike in my 04' F150 with the 6' (maybe 6 1/2') bed and close the tail gate.

Here is my parents sport trac with my kx250 in it. It is resting right on the back edge, but it did drive fine, and the tailgate has lasted thus far without bowing.

2728125200_abb5513c1a_b.jpg

That's how my bike looks in my 01 Tacoma Double Cab. I am tired of that truck. Anyone want to 'steal' it from me??

• Like 1

Here is my parents sport trac with my kx250 in it. It is resting right on the back edge, but it did drive fine, and the tailgate has lasted thus far without bowing.

2728125200_abb5513c1a_b.jpg

WOW :banghead: that is a very short bed! If you can manage with that, I can surely manage with a bed that's 10" longer :worthy:

I'll try angling it but will occassionaly haul 2 bikes and can't angle them both.

I really appreciate the picture. Gas for you?

• Like 1

WOW :busted:

that is a very short bed

:busted:

I'll try angling it but will occassionaly haul 2 bikes and can't angle them both.

yeah, I didn't think the back wheel was going to even rest on the tailgate until I actually loaded it. We've had a drz250 in next to it before. That was a tight fit, but it did all fit. Thanks for the gas.:worthy:

WOW :banghead: that is a very short bed! If you can manage with that, I can surely manage with a bed that's 10" longer :worthy:

With 2 bikes they will be on the outer edge of the tail gate, it would take a heck of a lot more weight to bend it close to the sides than it will right in the middle. As for cables, they could probably hold a small car, tough lil' bastards!

no pictures, but when I used to load my bike in the bed like that. I actually would lift the rear wheel once the bike was strapped and slipped my 6 ramp under the wheel.Never had any issues of the ramp moving and i figured it was a good way to help spread the weight out over the tailgate.

Thanks.

You sure it's 7' from front of front tire to rear of rear tire? Seems kind of long...regardless. What you can do is 1 of 2 things that come to my mind.

1) Place your bike/bikes on a wood plank so your front and rear tire sit on it. That will take some of the weigfht off just the rear and tailgate. (If you can visualize that!) The plank will help keep the rear off the tailgate with it under the front tire.

2) Reinforce the tailgate with a couple tie downs of ? to help take the weight off the factory supports!

Measure again and see if it is 7', I'm curious!

With my Ranger and its 6' bed if I want to haul 2 bikes and a trailer still I have to take the tailgate off.

So I made some wood rails that sit in the bed. The bike holds them down solid and works great. My bedliner has grooves in it so I screwed some plastic things to the bottom of the rail that catch in the bedliner groves and keep it from sliding sideways. Works great

P1010135.jpg

P1010136.jpg

P1010137.jpg

• Like 2

...My bedliner has grooves in it so I screwed some plastic things to the bottom of the rail that catch in the bedliner groves and keep it from sliding sideways. Works great

Hey, thats a great idea! I was trying to figure out out a way to secure my wheel chock from moving sideways without bolting it to the bed. I'll just attach some blocks to the bottom of it sized and spaced to mate with the groves in the liner. Cool.

Thanks!

WGW