Dear Previous Owner:

Dear Previous Owner,

Thank you for selling my your used '02 DRZ 400s. As a newb to motorcycles, this is a great purchase. I'm enjoying the bike very much. However, I'm making a lot of mods to it, and I've come to see that even though you changed the oil, and took basic care of this bike, you have a brain defect.

For example, previous owner, why, when you swapped the front sprocket, did you not only fail to perform the loctite fix, but in addition, install the front sprocket THE WRONG WAY? I noticed it rattling, and when I took the bike in to Eddie for a checkover, he looked at my like I was an idiot as he told me the sprocket was backwards. I tried to explain that you, the previous owner had done it, but I'm sure he hears that one all the time.

Another thing, previous owner. Why, oh why, did you install the TT caseguards off center and with the logo at such an absurd angle? It clearly states in the instructions that you can use a piece of masking tape to hold them on while the silicon sets. Did you not read that? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get those things off? By the way, did you have to use so much silicone that it smushed out the edge of the caseguard leaving an ugly roiled mess of mush all around the edges? What were you thinking?

I notice that you cut the 3x3. That's great. But you really cut a jagged hole approximately 4 x 3.5. How did you cut around the posts that support the CDI so cleanly, yet were unable to make a clean cut anywhere else? Did you use a butter knife to saw away at this? Plastic is not that hard to cut, how did you do such a bad job?

Also, dear PO, when you did cut this gash in the airbox, did you rejet? I don't know. Being a newb I wasn't sure if the bike was running properly. But when I went to check the jets, I saw that the float bowl screws were fairly well stripped. Now I'm no expert, but in reading through TT here I found that it's fairly easy to replace said screws with allen head bolts, making the bowl easier to remove. You informed me, PO, that you were 'always on TT' and 'always in your garage working on your bike', how did you miss these things?

And while I'm at it PO, why the **** did you feel the need to put such terrible decals on the stock tank? Did you not see that they in no way match any other color on the bike? Of course, the stock tank was not on the bike when I bought it. A very nice IMS 4 gal was there, for which I thank you. But since I sometimes want to ride around town without a dromedary hump on the front of my bike I'd like to use the stock tank. Those damn decals are meant for a plastic tank, that's why they had the holes on them. Also, why did you take the stock petcock off? No problem for me to buy and install a new one, but the stock petcock is NOT on the IMS. And what did you do to the keyhole in the tank cap? Did you rub concrete directly into it? How the hell am I supposed to get that out?!?!?:worthy:

Oh, another thing.... Where did the upper chain roller go? Again, when I took this to eddie and he told me it was missing, I deferred to you. But I'm sure he thought it was me. And how did you ride so much that the rear toolkit bag (which contained only an old rusty sparkplug and some trash, by the way, thanks!? ) was threadbare and barely holding on?

And, why, oh why, dear PO did you not install some sort of radguards? Obviously you dropped this bike, and a single outer row of fins in the rads is crushed. Not enough to cause a problem, but while you were installing new bars, MCCT, and case guards, couldn't you have just put some unabikers on too? YOu seemed to have a nice house and good job, and a few nice cars at your place.

Finally, what the hell did you do to the battery box. When eddie installed the Super Start kit (which works great by the way :-), the box was too damaged from some sort of intentional abuse to be modified. No biggie in terms of cost, but from the point of view of your ineptness being transferred to my embarrassment, priceless.

Well, I guess that's why I got it at a good price. It runs well, no engine problems, starts right up. In short, PO, thanks for the bike, but maybe you should stick to cars. I feel like riding to your house and showing you what your bike COULD have looked like.

That is all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Previous Owner,

Thank you for selling my your used '02 DRZ 400s. As a newb to motorcycles, this is a great purchase. I'm enjoying the bike very much. However, I'm making a lot of mods to it, and I've come to see that even though you changed the oil, and took basic care of this bike, you have a brain defect.

For example, previous owner, why, when you swapped the front sprocket, did you not only fail to perform the loctite fix, but in addition, install the front sprocket THE WRONG WAY? I noticed it rattling, and when I took the bike in to Eddie for a checkover, he looked at my like I was an idiot as he told me the sprocket was backwards. I tried to explain that you, the previous owner had done it, but I'm sure he hears that one all the time.

Another thing, previous owner. Why, oh why, did you install the TT caseguards off center and with the logo at such an absurd angle? It clearly states in the instructions that you can use a piece of masking tape to hold them on while the silicon sets. Did you not read that? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get those things off? By the way, did you have to use so much silicone that it smushed out the edge of the caseguard leaving an ugly roiled mess of mush all around the edges? What were you thinking?

I notice that you cut the 3x3. That's great. But you really cut a jagged hole approximately 4 x 3.5. How did you cut around the posts that support the CDI so cleanly, yet were unable to make a clean cut anywhere else? Did you use a butter knife to saw away at this? Plastic is not that hard to cut, how did you do such a bad job?

Also, dear PO, when you did cut this gash in the airbox, did you rejet? I don't know. Being a newb I wasn't sure if the bike was running properly. But when I went to check the jets, I saw that the float bowl screws were fairly well stripped. Now I'm no expert, but in reading through TT here I found that it's fairly easy to replace said screws with allen head bolts, making the bowl easier to remove. You informed me, PO, that you were 'always on TT' and 'always in your garage working on your bike', how did you miss these things?

And while I'm at it PO, why the **** did you feel the need to put such terrible decals on the stock tank? Did you not see that they in no way match any other color on the bike? Of course, the stock tank was not on the bike when I bought it. A very nice IMS 4 gal was there, for which I thank you. But since I sometimes want to ride around town without a dromedary hump on the front of my bike I'd like to use the stock tank. Those damn decals are meant for a plastic tank, that's why they had the holes on them. Also, why did you take the stock petcock off? No problem for me to buy and install a new one, but the stock petcock is NOT on the IMS. And what did you do to the keyhole in the tank cap? Did you rub concrete directly into it? How the hell am I supposed to get that out?!?!?:worthy:

Oh, another thing.... Where did the upper chain roller go? Again, when I took this to eddie and he told me it was missing, I deferred to you. But I'm sure he thought it was me. And how did you ride so much that the rear toolkit bag (which contained only an old rusty sparkplug and some trash, by the way, thanks!? ) was threadbare and barely holding on?

And, why, oh why, dear PO did you not install some sort of radguards? Obviously you dropped this bike, and a single outer row of fins in the rads is crushed. Not enough to cause a problem, but while you were installing new bars, MCCT, and case guards, couldn't you have just put some unabikers on too? YOu seemed to have a nice house and good job, and a few nice cars at your place.

Finally, what the hell did you do to the battery box. When eddie installed the Super Start kit (which works great by the way :-), the box was too damaged from some sort of intentional abuse to be modified. No biggie in terms of cost, but from the point of view of your ineptness being transferred to my embarrassment, priceless.

Well, I guess that's why I got it at a good price. It runs well, no engine problems, starts right up. In short, PO, thanks for the bike, but maybe you should stick to cars. I feel like riding to your house and showing you what your bike COULD have looked like.

That is all.

Holy novel.

I noticed some, but not all of these things. I was enticed by the low price, and I was looking for a 'fixer-upper'. My reasoning was that I was gonna take a long trip, and I better learn how to fix everything and anything on a bike.

No, I'm not bitter. I have actually come to really enjoy working on my bike, and taking pride in doing a good job. It's a cool feeling to take something ugly and turn it beautiful, in the same way (apparently) all those women on TV get such enjoyment out of cleaning dust off of furniture.

My requirements in purchasing a bike was that it:

A. Had to have wheels

B. Had to start on the first try

C. Had to survive the test drive

All the rest, I figured I could learn about as I went. And I have.?

you do know that all this complaning only comes with old used bikes

next time buy a new one

PS... Clive, it's not a complaint, it's technically a RANT:lol:

And, like I said, I wanted a beat up old used bike that I could fix up, and could abuse myself when I repeatedly dropped and crashed it

Dear PO:

Why did you put ALL those stickers ALL OVER the bike? Some don't make any sense (I think I saw an Apple logo?), some are in stupid locations and most are just chromatically wrong.

Why oh why did you turn the shock adjuster all the way lowering the seat as far as it would go? I know you rode mainly on the street but there was ZERO suspension left.

And what in the world were you thinking when you changed (on an otherwise Blue model) the front fender and headlight shroud to white? I could understand if you wanted a White bike but this thing turned out 1/2 white and 1/2 blue!!

Finally, did you really think it (pick one) 1. sounded better, 2. looked better or 3. performed better, after you gutted the exhaust can and ditched the end-cap? Didn't you realize you made it look just like a redneck mobile home?

Hugs & Kisses,

New Owner

Dear PO:

Why did you put ALL those stickers ALL OVER the bike? Some don't make any sense (I think I saw an Apple logo?), some are in stupid locations and most are just chromatically wrong.

Why oh why did you turn the shock adjuster all the way lowering the seat as far as it would go? I know you rode mainly on the street but there was ZERO suspension left.

And what in the world were you thinking when you changed (on an otherwise Blue model) the front fender and headlight shroud to white? I could understand if you wanted a White bike but this thing turned out 1/2 white and 1/2 blue!!

Finally, did you really think it (pick one) 1. sounded better, 2. looked better or 3. performed better, after you gutted the exhaust can and ditched the end-cap? Didn't you realize you made it look just like a redneck mobile home?

Hugs & Kisses,

New Owner

Amen Brother

why did you buy it then?

I understand you're a "newbie" but most of these gripes were obvious simply from looking at the bike. There's something called a "gut feeling." Hmmm...case guards not on straight? Ooozing silicone? That would be indicative of someone who lacks attention to detail. My first thought would be, "what else could he have been careless about?"

What about the hacked 3x3 and the battery box? These all should have been red flags. It's up to you as the purchaser to be thorough and take notice of these things. And then walk away if you're not getting a warm fuzzy.

No radiator guards? When you're looking at the bike, you look at the radiators. If you wanted to buy a bike with radiator guards, you should have kept looking. The fact that you didn't notice damaged radiators is your fault. And the stickers? Did you not see them before you handed the seller the cash?

I'm sorry, but this rant should be titled "Dear Careless Buyer" not "Dear Previous Owner." You're angry with yourself for not doing your job as a buyer and you're directing the blame on the seller. He didn't make you buy the bike.

Caveat emptor. That's the first rule of buying used. 95% of your gripes were visible and in plain sight. If you weren't comfortable with your ability to do the pre-purchase inspection, you should have brought it to a shop for inspection, walked away or bought new.

Tipsy

Dear Previous Owner,

That is all.

just becuase some can get on TT and read about mods doesnt mean they are capable.

over all its a nice bike you just had to correct some of the stuff.