Direct Injection - SkiDoo vs Porsche

Pretty good article - Direct Injection - SkiDoo vs Porsche

But how about those Skidoo hp numbers? 600cc, 120 hp, 78% more economical, 50-75% cleaner. No premix needed, crank is lubed like a 4 stroke from sump. Based on those numbers a DI YZ250 would yield 50hp - not bad at all!

Just think; enviro friendly, good mileage, no oil burned, more power. C'mon Yamaha, you'd sell a ton of them. :lol:

I would buy a DI YZ250 in a heartbeat!

Sign me up!

-mt-

I have been following direct injection two strokes for many years. I am still amazed that nobody has put one in a motorcycle, especially in a motocross bike. I have only seen them in couple of scooters. Maybe with injection coming to four strokes it will make it more cost effective to do it.

Maybe it's time for Bombardier to bring back the CanAm. Pretty good bike in its day! With DI, who knows?

The fact the Porsche has incorporated DI into their lineup is a positive sign IMO. They stepped up and proved that the technology is viable without compromising performance or fuel economy. While I would love to see an industry revival of 2 stroke technology, my main concern would be the long term durability of these ceramic injectors. Also, I don't know how I would feel with 24000 psi (think thats what it said) of fuel pressure between my legs! Having said that, if they produced a DI 2 stroke bike I would buy it in a heartbeat. :lol:

If anyone is going to put DI into 2 strokes mx bikes I hate to say it but it aint going to be yamaha.

My guess KTM would be the first.

Oh and 24000 PSI is insane!

No premix needed, crank is lubed like a 4 stroke from sump.

Didn't read the link. :lol:

Won't pre-mix be needed to lube the top end though?

Cadillac has had a DI engine for 3 years and ford does too (the Mazda mill). DI is the future of engines, that's one thing diesels have right.

Whatever motor that's in that ski-doo, I want it!!! I'll put it a GSXR 600 frame and whammo! Killin' the 4 cyl bums.

Just a note, that 120 hp, 600cc Ski Doo engine is made to last hundreds of hours. Cutting into longevity could bring even more power per cc.

My girlfriend's 2007 VW Passat has a DI 2.0 liter turbo 4 cylinder (not diesel). Great little engine. VW calls it "FSI" though, for "Fuel Striaght Injection". They can do some amazing things with DI, like at idle it'll fire a very lean mixture "late" in the combustion process, which detonates so the engine can run with very little fuel consumption and no spark. I believe VW claims A/F ratios of 64:1 or something like that at idle.

Of course, all that technology and on a road trip my 05 Malibu gets 3-5 mpg better with 2 fewer gears, 2 more cylinders, and 1.5 extra liters of displacement (her car spanks it in a drag though).

oh man if only dirt bikes would catch up to the improvement rate of sleds, its amazing how fast the technology has come in the last ten years on sleds, while bikes on the other hand have seemed pretty stagnant in comparision. ie take an advanced rider put him on a 2000 mx bike against an average rider on a new bike. I think the advanced rider would in most cases smoke the other guy. On sleds it would be a much closer race and if the track is rough the average rider would probly win. I know there are a lot of variables but you get the idea.

Also to clarify the skidoo still uses 2t oil just not very much, you simply fill the resivour every couple tanks of fuel. That 600cc skidoo is in most cases competitive with a 1000cc yamaha 4t, although the doo is lighter, and gets better fuel mileage.

Yes a Canam bike would be sweet, we need more competition in the bike market. Bombardier already has dealers in a lot of places, has great backing and great 2T tech.

Ok Im done

Yes a Canam bike would be sweet, we need more competition in the bike market. Bombardier already has dealers in a lot of places, has great backing and great 2T tech.

Ok Im done

Viva la Can-Am :lol: They're already using the brand now for some rather nice quads (if I were in the market) so there's no reason for them not to start up bike production. Oh, and they'd prolly be smart enough to make some lead-free bolts such that kids could start riding again.:worthy:

I know I said I was done, but that lead thing kills me has there been any updates to that. I was hoping somthing had been done by now, there were a bunch of survey's/petitions going around that had a ton of input. Kinda figured that would've got some attention.

I know I said I was done, but that lead thing kills me has there been any updates to that. I was hoping somthing had been done by now, there were a bunch of survey's/petitions going around that had a ton of input. Kinda figured that would've got some attention.

The feds are too busy printing up money to hand out. I'm glad my taxes are done and refunded. :lol: Hard to focus on kids' bikes being banned when they are inking up all the printing presses for money production.

Anyway. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Viva la Can-Am :lol: They're already using the brand now for some rather nice quads (if I were in the market) so there's no reason for them not to start up bike production. Oh, and they'd prolly be smart enough to make some lead-free bolts such that kids could start riding again.:worthy:

Ya the renegade quad is pretty deadly. Lots of engineering in that thing. And LSD like year end, 800cc, FI, on-board diagnostic gauge, etc. If they made bike again that would be sweet!

2467614693_a6191fc54f.jpg