Weld to Frame

Hey,

So I'm leaning toward getting the Baja Designs buddy pegs on my XR600R. Any comments on welding those things to my frame? I heard it will weaken the frame, but if it is going to just snap then why would they be sold?

Is this really a viable solution for a second rider? Or am I better off drilling the swing arm and mounting there?

Thanks,

Drew

Welding does make the frame weaker just past the weld. However the pegs are welded on from the factory on most bikes. My advice would have a pro weld them on. And proper metal prep is a must. A TIG welder is going to make a better weld that a MIG, it also is going to be stronger.

Welding does make the frame weaker just past the weld.

Actually, it makes the frame stronger near the weld. However, it makes the frame far less ductile. This means that instead of bending like the unwelded frame would, it will break because of how brittle it is now.

Actually, it makes the frame stronger near the weld. However, it makes the frame far less ductile. This means that instead of bending like the unwelded frame would, it will break because of how brittle it is now.

thats right , if you look at the metal when it breaks you notice there are very small crystals . thats why it breaks you want the larger crystals .

its easy to get around you just have to properly heat it up with a torch and properly cool it down with a torch .

mig welder is perfectly fine and just as strong as a tig welder if done properly .

personally i would still tig it because im better at tig welding .

just find a good welder to do it . or get out your cutting torch and heat it up slowly and cool it down slowly .

xr600 steal or cro-mo ?