Lemme introduce my new money pit

IMG_3980.jpg

I am new here.

Live in Denver, CO

Just picked up a 2005 DRZ 400S

87 Original miles (still ahd the 2005 temp tag on it? )

$CHEAP

Stock except for Acerbis crash bars and Pro Billet tail rack

Just ordered the James Dean Jet kit, Fuel screw, float bowl screws.

Ordering the SSW MRD system tomorrow.

Getting knobbies with studs installed in 3 weeks (I ride to work in the snow even tho we have had none in Denver this year)

3X3 mod after jet kit and pipe is installed.

I plan on using this bike for 2 things:

1. Commuting to work and back. I sold my car 2 years ago to ride 100% of the time. I have actually been riding 100% for 4 years but kept the car just in case.

2. MC camping. Looking to load up the DRZ and my wifes MC and just ride into the Rockies and camp.

I am coming from a sport bike background. Just sold my CBR 600RR to go 100% dual sport. Not liking the lack of power and sheer acceleration but I will get over it. I need it to climb single track, not win on a race track :worthy:

I am mechanically inclined so I plan on performing all work myself, with help from you guys of course. If you are in the South Denver area and want to get out for a ride, hit me up. I live 5 minutes from the Canyons :banghead:

See you guys when you're dirty!!!

• Like 1

Nice! I'm still doing the sportbike thing, and the DRZ has nothing on my R1 power-wise, but its still a really fun ride when you take it for what it is. Do the mods and have a blast on it! Drop a tooth up front too (unless you have some highway in your commute) or go all the way to 14/47 for some snap on the street and grunt in the trails.

Welcome. I'm a few months new to dual sporting. Looking for riding partners. I'm in Denver too if you ever wanna go out for a ride. Oh, and I highly recommend getting the FCR...

We are going to be doing a bunch of riding/camping out at Rampart and Breck this summer. My buddy has an SM and is on here too. We will get some nice group rides up fo sho!

Nice find ... when you get a nice deal then you have more money to spend on mods...

BUT...(1)there's a little man on your shoulder and (2) is that a dumpster in the middle of that field??

haha yeah it is at Daniels Park in CO. It is a lookout point so there are picnic tables and stuff up there.

Ordering the SSW MRD system tomorrow.
I plan on using this bike for 2 things:

1. Commuting to work and back. I sold my car 2 years ago to ride 100% of the time. I have actually been riding 100% for 4 years but kept the car just in case.

2. MC camping. Looking to load up the DRZ and my wifes MC and just ride into the Rockies and camp.

Congrats on your new bike.

Are you sure you want the SSW pipe? It's very loud...not exactly ideal for commuting and camping.

Tipsy

Congrats on your new bike.

Are you sure you want the SSW pipe? It's very loud...not exactly ideal for commuting and camping.

Tipsy

I commute on my DRZ with a full Pro-Circuit exhaust (similar sound to the SSW/MRD) and it's no biggie. Honestly, the pipe isn't all that loud unless you're jumping on the throttle. At steady mid-throttle, it isn't terribly loud. Besides, sometimes it helps to make sure the cagers hear you coming?

As I've complained about elsewhere, the SSW/MRD pipe has become de riguer for no good reason. It's "the best" pipe, so every DRZ must have one, all other factors be damned! ?

What other factors?

Well, my personal opinion is that your $500 are better spent elsewhere. You can pick up a used E head pipe for next to nothing and spend $10 at your local muffler shop having your stock S muffler inlet expanded to fit the E pipe.

Eddie builds great engines...there's no doubt about that. But the SSW was designed to maximize power on one of his bored and stroked monsters. I'm not saying a stock engine won't benefit from the SSW pipe...but I think the cost vs. benefit for this pipe on an otherwise stock motor isn't a very smart or necessary investment. I think most of the people who have bought this pipe are buying it because Eddie designed it and it "has" to be the best thing going. Not because it's truly the best thing for their personal application.

Eddie's numbers proved that this pipe design rivaled the then thought-to-be-discontinued Yosh Ti. He posted the dyno graphs proving this....on one of his monster engines. So, immediately, hands down, everyone on this forum jumped on the "I have to have this pipe" bandwagon. If you've got a big-bore engine...or a bored and stroked engine...and you race...and you want to maximize the power gain from your already otherwise sizable investment...then absolutely, spend the $500 bucks on the SSW and get the most out of your fire-breathing mill.

But if you're just commuting around town and trail riding on a basically stock engine, my personal opinion is that your dollars are better spent elsewhere. We already get enough grief from the environmentalists...making a lot of extra noise in the woods for no good reason, in my opinion, isn't the best way to help the situation. An E head pipe and a lower budget slip-on would make a lot more sense economically...in my opinion.

You paid $2500 for the bike. Is spending 20% of that on the SSW pipe going to give you an equivalent return on that investment?

Tipsy