How do you get in the powerband?

i recently bought a 07 cr 125 that i havent gotten yet but i have ridden my friends 01 kx 125 once and i dont know how to get it on the pipe. do you just pull in and release the clutch then shift through the gears??? ive always ridden four strokes and want to have some sort of guidelines to follow when i get my bike. thanks.

A 125 has a very noticable power band. Just get going nice and easy in 1st gear, then hold it wide open while leaning foward so it doesn't bring the front wheel up. If it is running right you will feel it slowly get a little more and more power. Then all at once the power valve will change and the power will jump way up. After you get used to ridding it you will be able to keep it above that RPM range that the power valve opens and it is a blast to ride. It seems like the power valve doesn't open up if you are not at least 3/4 throttle so it can wind out and you won't feel it kick in if you are just crusing. A 125 once on the pipe will wind out a gear as fast as any thing out there. It just takes a lot of effort to keep it there.

• Like 2

If your bike is jetted right, Just keep riding the bike and you will get a feel for where it is in your RPM range. You can almost always hear the difference, especially fell it. Then the challenge comes with being able to get the most out of it in corners and staying in it. Good Luck?:worthy:

its an 07 cr 125 with 2 stock hrs. on it. im planning on buying a jd jet kit for it.

Sounds like a SICK plan! Hahah. I love my CR!

Have fun with that. And no worries. Two Strokes take some time to get used to. I know exactly what your going through. I did when i got my CR

I can't believe no one has told you the real secret. All modern two strokes come with a small audio sensing device(ASD) mounted below the gas tank. For the powerband to properly work you have to yell as loud as you can right as you wick the throttle open. The ASD picks up on your command and engages the powerband. Your vocal cords will be sore after the first couple of rides, but they'll get used to it. Remember, too, that the louder you yell the better the powerband with engage. You'll want everyone around you to hear you. If they do then you'll be on the right track.

Good luck!

all motors have a power band. the power band is where the motor is designed to make the most power. four strokes have them, two strokes have them, eight strikes have them. the power band on a two stroke is different because it does not have as much torque as a four stroke so it has what is called as a power band "hit" where it goes from low horsepower to a lot of horsepower. the powervalve is mechanically operated so it opens no mater what the throttle opening is. i would find a big open feild and get the bike going in 3 or 4 gear and just open the throttle and you will feel where the bike opens up and just runs but with the high gear it is less likely to spin the back tire or pull the front wheel. and remember if you get in trouble rear brake and clutch will save you.