Sign in to follow this  

weird problem after decompression cam put in...

Hey all,

Just buttoned up the head after swapping out the exhaust cam and checking the clearance. (mad sure it was 12 teeth up and torqued to specs with a recently calibrated torque wrench) by the way... best 100 .. well 50 bux considering I got both intake and exhaust for 100, that I have spent yet. I can start it with my hand now!!! :worthy:

Here is the problem... Idle's OK.., but when you crack the throttle, it stays up at about 3000 RPMs then either slowly goes down or I have to mess with the idle screw...

OK what I do... :lol:

Hey all,

Just buttoned up the head after swapping out the exhaust cam and checking the clearance. (mad sure it was 12 teeth up and torqued to specs with a recently calibrated torque wrench) by the way... best 100 .. well 50 bux considering I got both intake and exhaust for 100, that I have spent yet. I can start it with my hand now!!! :worthy:

Here is the problem... Idle's OK.., but when you crack the throttle, it stays up at about 3000 RPMs then either slowly goes down or I have to mess with the idle screw...

OK what I do... :lol:

your idle screw might be a little high..turn it down a bit my did that 2!!

That's how I get it to idle down... the problem is that it dies when at an acceptable level now

is it cold in washington does it only do it when not warmed up?

turn your fuel screw out a 1/4 turn.... i wouldnt go too far on that or you will be running rich. mine is at about 1.5 turns out mine is a 02 stock motor with 03 cam...

i know if my idle is to high it will rev up and hang for a couple seconds after i let go of the throttle..then i know to turn my idle down but before you do all this make sure the bike is warm or at around running temp.. hope i helped ..im not an expert im just giving you the steps on what i do which mine not be right but it helps me.:lol:

Does it when the pipe is glowing too. :lol:

just took it for a quick test ride after it warmed up and it either wants to 'idle up" or die....

but hey... I think it's worth it being able to start that bike with my hand... went through 2 pairs of boots with that thing...

first thing I did was take the decomp lever and cable and threw it across the room!

Does it when the pipe is glowing too. :lol:

just took it for a quick test ride after it warmed up and it either wants to 'idle up" or die....

but hey... I think it's worth it being able to start that bike with my hand... went through 2 pairs of boots with that thing...

first thing I did was take the decomp lever and cable and threw it across the room!

Im not sure bro just read around in the manual until someonelse posts some help...but i agree i dont care what my bike does since i got rid of that compression release lever:smirk:

Yeah, it's most likely a carb adjustment issue...

now to learn carbs...

give me a laptop and fuel injection mapping software with minute adjustment and I'm fine... carbs are hard!!!

You'll get it. Check and make sure your manifold clamps are snug on the carb so you don't get any air leaks there. Then make sure your hot start is working properly and lubed up. If its hanging open, you can get some air in there. I use petrolium jelly to lube mine, just a thin film. Then like PSellers says, open the fuel screw a little. You know its needs some more fuel if it pops and backfires on decelleration.

Yeah, it's most likely a carb adjustment issue...

now to learn carbs...

give me a laptop and fuel injection mapping software with minute adjustment and I'm fine... carbs are hard!!!

Where are you in Washington? If your close enough to me I'd be happy to help you dial in the jetting for free. :lol:

well just took apart the carb... :lol: the phillips screw that is holding the throttle cable lever to the throttle slide ever is striped, and the main air jet is stripped :worthy: (I didn't do it, I swear)

was a lot of gunk in there, so I cleaned it all out and actually learned quite a bit.

going to re-install it tomorrow and make sure all is well.

I'm on the east side Bellevue area

Oh yes, My mixture screw was 2 1/4 turns out.. that sounds like a bit much when reading the fourms. I'm at sea level here.

A hanging high idle means a lean condition, check thr carb boot to the head, or a hung open hot start

well just took apart the carb... :worthy: the phillips screw that is holding the throttle cable lever to the throttle slide ever is striped, and the main air jet is stripped :banghead: (I didn't do it, I swear)

was a lot of gunk in there, so I cleaned it all out and actually learned quite a bit.

going to re-install it tomorrow and make sure all is well.

I'm on the east side Bellevue area

Oh yes, My mixture screw was 2 1/4 turns out.. that sounds like a bit much when reading the fourms. I'm at sea level here.

I live in Sultan but work in Redmond. If you need any help let me know. By the way 2 1/4 turns out on the fuel screw is about where I run it on my sons bikes. :lol:

Status update...

so friggin frustrated with the gal dern thing... I took the head cover off... guess what.. I was one tooth off on the exhaust :lol:

Now it's mostly fine... the bike Idles low now, when you crack the trottle, goes right back down to the original idle... but did some testing, and it still does the same thing (stays at an elevated rpm) when the idle is raised up to about 3k and the throttle is cracked.

You may have a air leak on the the exhaust or the carb. Start with the two exhaust gaskets will run you about 25. Then replace the o-rings/Gaskets on the carb. I know the top cover gasket is around 15, should help.