250X Dies when twisting the throttle

Gang, I need some help! Our weekend riding is in jeopardy. My buddies dirtbike will start, but when you twist the throttle - it dies. This bike doesnt have many miles on it, so I don't think it's the valves. It has done a lot of sitting outside, so I think it's probably the carb. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!:lol:

Are you talking about quickly snapping the throttle all the way from idle?

9 times out of 10 it is a plugged pilot jet. Clean the carb up.

No, quick or slow - it dies!

Gang, I need some help! Our weekend riding is in jeopardy. My buddies dirtbike will start, but when you twist the throttle - it dies. This bike doesnt have many miles on it, so I don't think it's the valves. It has done a lot of sitting outside, so I think it's probably the carb. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!:lol:

If you mean the bike basically won't accept throttle, then the accelarator pump is clogged. Happened to me after my first ride - junk in the carb from the factory. In your buddy's case, it's bad gas. Clean out everything well, then start using gas stabilizer.

JayC

maybe you got the choke on... haha

Smitty, i had the exact same problem with my X. I'd start her up but as soon as i blipped the throttle it'd die on me. Is he using the stock jetting? If so, try rejetting the carb. I haven't had a problem since I did it to mine.

9 times out of 10 it is a plugged pilot jet. Clean the carb up.

Keith has it exactly right, epsecially since you say the bike has been sitting quite a bit. Don't mess around with anything else until you've cleaned the carb out, especially the pilot jet.

clean out the carb, and check the AP....its not that hard...its a pain yes but not too bad

It could have water in the fuel bowl, open the bowl drain screw and try again, if that does not work the jets probably need to be cleaned.

Fresh fuel in the tank wouldn't hurt either if it has sat for a long time.