Dual Sport YZ250f - Long Haul

Continental Divide Ride on a 2001-YZ250f, with a few caveats:

Low time on the bike <70hrs total. I am org owner

hurt at work , now healed and this is what I own;

4.2 gal, GPR, e-line 200w, lighting/license, side stand,

rekluse, ZipTy carb mods, bar snake, aluminum body

armor everywhere, FMF Q2, MotoPro off road spring&

suspension set-up, hand guards, DID ‘O’ ring chain,

fresh cam chain, short billet kick arm, and a ‘03’ cam.

I’m looking for some knowledgeable advice (other than

sell it) on the following technical questions:

1) Gearing; Currently I run a 13/49 for a ratio of 3.77:1

(my research comes up dry for SPECIFICS

ie- actual experience, part numbers etc. . . .

inserting WR 1st & 5th), I plan on swapping between

countershaft sprockets. A 14/45 for the flats @ 3.21:1-

and 12/45 for tighter sections giving a 3.75:1.

2) Rear Subframe; I do not plan on camping. I do plan on

surviving. I will pack light, but sufficient. How durable is

the aluminum subframe ref; weight bearing capacity?

3) Engine time; I have read and heard accounts of the

Yamaha motor running well over 250hrs and/or 4000mls.

Anyone with actual experience?

4) Tire Balls; will they hold up and alleviate the hassle of

flats?

5) Where can I get a 19” 110 Mitas rear trails tire?

I appreciate any and all constructive help in advance, thanks.

I know Yamaha motors are the most reliable motor there is, I would check it over really well, check valve clearance and everything in spec, possibly put a new piston or even freshen up the whole top end.

I know Yamaha motors are the most reliable motor there is, I would check it over really well, check valve clearance and everything in spec, possibly put a new piston or even freshen up the whole top end.

XR motors are more reliable...

don't use tire balls, they aren't made for high speeds

there are tank bags, front fender packs, and the rear subframe should be able to support an extra couple hundred pounds, depending on how much you weigh, i've ridden with people on the back of my WR several times

also, get a 4oz car tire balance weight (the sticker kind) and place it opposite side of your rim locks, front, and rear if you don't have 2 that are opposite (my WR had dual rim locks), this will keeps your tire somewhat balanced and make it A LOT more comfortable

Find a whole wr250F bottom end and build it out. That's what I did. Offers higher ratio 3rd, 4th, 5th. Switch to 18" rear wheel, then you can go to trials tire, 19" trials don't exist. Be careful on shifting since the rear wheel does not have a cush drive in it. Its hard on the tranny on the street. WR Gearing: 13/51 for trail riding, 13/48 or 49 if all street. Guts Racing tall soft seat foam recommended for long hours in saddle, $65. Change your engine oil often and keep the all filters clean. Put a catch can on the radiator overflow. Be careful, get back home.

Find a whole wr250F bottom end and build it out. That's what I did. Offers higher ratio 3rd, 4th, 5th. Switch to 18" rear wheel, then you can go to trials tire, 19" trials don't exist. Be careful on shifting since the rear wheel does not have a cush drive in it. Its hard on the tranny on the street. WR Gearing: 13/51 for trail riding, 13/48 or 49 if all street. Guts Racing tall soft seat foam recommended for long hours in saddle, $65. Change your engine oil often and keep the all filters clean. Put a catch can on the radiator overflow. Be careful, get back home.

you only need a cush drive if you have a sumo tire. the knobbie does a good enough job. I mean, the steal like 5hp compared to a street tire

super moto tires have A LOT MORE traction don't give, the knobbie gives, thats why it steals HP, or atleast partly the reason, I guess being unbalanced and more rubber has a bit to do with it as well

Good advice. I'll start looking. Then I can be waaaaaaay upsidedown in my 01.

But it is mine.