Sign in to follow this  

What coolant Temp to expect?

I just installed a Trail tech Vapor on my 06 450R. The sensor is installed on the "hot" (left) side hose. I can not get anyone to tell me what temperature I should be getting let alone what the max temperature should be. We ride in the sand dunes allot and I would like to know when it is getting close to the max temp so that I can "cruise" for a little while to cool it down.

i think i was told around 165 not sure of that. anyone else?

on a stock crf if it is 55 degreese you can not keep the temp at 150 or so on an mx track, ---which is way way to cold .

I tape up the radiators to keep the coolant at around 200 .( depending on mud conditions)

In the dunes with straight radiators on a stock bike I will see 230 at times .

This is running the piss out of it.

The big thing is you do not want to run any of these bikes to cold .

I make sure I keep the bikes at least 190 at the coldest if I can.

200 to 225 is where I like them .

I have had them at 250 in the dunes and they will detonate and puke water out when you stop .

165 is optimum temp for an intenral combustion engine.

165 is optimum temp for an intenral combustion engine.

anything under 170 is not good and wears on parts, you really want the coolant in the head to be around 220 to 230 and the coolant in the radiator will show around 200 to 220 ,

then the irony of it all is you want the fuel and the air cold as it is mixing and comming in the motor.

At GM with many many tests that were run , it was found that 300 in the heads and 235 in the radiator was the best for wear and complete combustion .

you try and run you truck at 165 and you will see how carboned up you get you heads , how badly you will flunk emissions ,how dirty you will get your oil, and how quickly you wear the rings , cylinder and crank out of the poor thing .

to cold is just as bad if not worse than to hot.

I get more blown cranks and top ends in the winter than I do in the summer .

I try and teach these guys about correctly warming up the bike and getting the temp up , AND KEEPING IT UP WHILE ON THE TRACK ,in order to make power and keep from wearing out parts .

But I will see the same guys fire the bike up , hit the rev limiter in seconds after starting the poor thing and head for the track in the winter,

no common sence at all :lol::worthy:

Thanks kelstr! That 165 number was starting to scare me! It seems to run about 190-200 on the flat areas, but then when we start going up and down the dunes it stays between 220-230. The max it ever hit was 242. On the Vapor you can set the limits for a yellow warning light and a red warning light (it is hard to read the small temp when riding), so if i were to set the yellow light at 230 and the red light at 240 does that sound reasonable?

Thanks kelstr! That 165 number was starting to scare me! It seems to run about 190-200 on the flat areas, but then when we start going up and down the dunes it stays between 220-230. The max it ever hit was 242. On the Vapor you can set the limits for a yellow warning light and a red warning light (it is hard to read the small temp when riding), so if i were to set the yellow light at 230 and the red light at 240 does that sound reasonable?

That would be just fine , the dunes will use any motor to its peek .

Is nice to be able to know when you are getting towards a threshold and can back off to let her cool alittle !!.

the thing I like about your system is that you know when its tool cold , when you are on the moto track you will be able to restrict your air flow and keep the poor thing at 190 at least.

everybody else will be at 150 loosing their ring seal and killing parts and making less power !!

so you do have a great set up :lol: