Starting a warm XR600r

I have no problems starting the XR600 when cold, but I have a question about starting when warmed up. Do you still crank it a few times with compression release engaged? I find that when warm I have to kick a few times to get it to fire, and am wondering if I need to kick it a few time wiht compression release engaged. When cold it fires within 2-3 kicks, I use a method I read about here and it starts everytime when cold. So whats your procedure for warm starting?

Thanks

It sounds like your idle mixture is on the rich side. My bike starts fine when cold with no choke(a clue that it's a little rich), but it tends to get loaded up on hot starts. I have to pull the compression release and kick a few times to clear it out and then it fires right up.

When warm, my 86 starts first time even with a sitting on the seat kick. It shouldn't be a problem. The one thing that will make my bike hard to start is too much fuel. Do you know if you have original jetting or if anything has been done to the carb?

Hot or cold (w/ choke) my R fires right up. 2 kicks cold, 1 kick every time when hot and I don't even have a manual compression release. It just takes more leg to kick it fast enough to start when hot. Do some mountain biking, your legs will get stronger lol.

Do some mountain biking, your legs will get stronger lol.

It's not a matter of needing to be strong to start these bikes, really. If you use your decompression lever, it will be an almost effortless kick and a LOT easier on the kickstart mechanism.

I'd explain it but there was a recent thread by a guy who kept breaking kickstarters. It's worth a read, there's really no need to risk breaking your bike or hurting yourself by not using that lever and jumping on that kickstarter.

When warm, my 86 starts first time even with a sitting on the seat kick. It shouldn't be a problem. The one thing that will make my bike hard to start is too much fuel. Do you know if you have original jetting or if anything has been done to the carb?

Carb is stock and been rejetted, I have the 628cc power up kit in it. I rejetted it according to the manual that came with the kit, and it was much to rich. I went down in the pilot and main and it has been much better. I do still think it needs to be tweaked a bit more because of some minor hesitation at about 1/4 throttle and below. I'm wondering if I need to go up one on the pilot jet or maybe adjust the needle, to get rid of the low speed hesitation.

I was wondering if I needed to kick it some again before restarting it when warm. I did pull the compression lever and give it 3 kicks and it fired right up after I released the comp lever and turned the switch on. I had been just trying to kick it over with out giving a few kicks without the comp lever and was wondering if I should, it seemed to work with a few kicks with the lever, and then a good kick with the lever released.

Thanks for the info,

Mark

I will also add that at lower elevations in cool weather when the air has a little more density, my 600 will start hot with only one kick just about every time.

In other words, if your jetting and idle is spot on, then you should not need to clear it out for every hot start.