09 Stock Grips

How do you get these things off. They are stuck on there. So far I have to take a razor blade and shave them off. Any suggestions. I am frustrated and had to take a break.

They are vulcanized. You are not the first to hate them...

The best way would be to get a new set of handlebars and an aluminum throttle tube, and just put the stock parts aside.

Then when time comes to sell the bike, it can have new handlebars and grips and smooth tube...

But since you started to take them off, you´ll have to finish...

Maybe some gasoline can get the residue off, try a hard wire brush on the clutch side too.

They don´t have to be sparkling clean and free from residue, the new grips will adhere anyway...

Get new handlebars.....You think I am kidding?:lol:

i wish i woulda just got new bars al kawi grips are a PAIN!!!!!!!!!

i wish i woulda just got new bars al kawi grips are a PAIN!!!!!!!!!

yeah that and the stock bard are crap even if they say Renthal on them. Get some Twinwalls and change the throttle tube while you are at it and you will not be sorry later.

im just gonna let my stock bars break and then get some fat bars and asv unbreakables ive went through a few levers already. anybody use safety wire? what kind is the best for grips and how do you saftey wire the oil drain plug?

i took the air compressor and lifted the grips as much as i could it wasnt much but i got the blower under the grip and let it have it it lifted the grip from the bar then they slid right of

i took the air compressor and lifted the grips as much as i could it wasnt much but i got the blower under the grip and let it have it it lifted the grip from the bar then they slid right of

Man that is some info I could have used earlier. I probably spend an hour and a half getting just the throttle side off and how I want it. I ended up shaving it with a razor knife I use for gaskets then sanding them with 80 grit to get it smooth. I put some twinwalls on and called around for an aluminum throttle tube but not one local shop had one it stock. I wouldn't mind waiting but I am riding tomorrow so that was out of the question.

I doubt you had original grips then.Kawi's is like melted on the handle bars.

Maybe so though?

I would love to find some of that glue. It would be great until it was time to change grips.

Belt sander vice gripped to my work bench....Ohhh yaaaa.

Heat gun works great, heat those sum-a-na-bi$ches up to about 450 degrees and you'd be amazed how easy they come off

Heat gun works great, heat those sum-a-na-bi$ches up to about 450 degrees and you'd be amazed how easy they come off

What happens to the throttle tube with this method? hehe

im just gonna let my stock bars break and then get some fat bars and asv unbreakables ive went through a few levers already. anybody use safety wire? what kind is the best for grips and how do you saftey wire the oil drain plug?

I use alot of lock wire on my bike, Im an apprentice aircraft maintenance engineer so its good practice even though I somtimes spend 8 hours a day doing nothing but lockwire fasteners. For grips I always use .035 stainless wire just because .025 is a little thin and if wrapped too tight it can cut the grips. As for my oil drain plug I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the head of the 8mm drain plug so I could wire the 14mm plug to the 8mm plug. One thing you have to keep in mind is that you always want the wire to pull on the fastener in the tightening direction (clockwise). Here is a link with some decent tips on lockwireing http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rc51.org/Finished%2520Wire%2520Pics/twist_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rc51.org/wire1.htm&usg=__VLQda-CQb_qHSY0TKYJue9UG57Y=&h=447&w=640&sz=28&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=wkVtiS0hcMvzJM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsafety%2Bwire%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den . Now you dont need to go anywhere near the level that this guy has taken it but I personally belive that lockwiring certain components like tripple clamps, front axles and drain plugs is a good idea. I would also suggest investing in a cheap set of lockwire pliers. they range in price from $9 to $190 but the $9 set will do you just fine, all you need to do is file the jaws down smooth so they dont nick the wire and cause it to break. You can find the cheap pliers and a pound of .035 wire on ebay for cheap. Hope that helps. Cheers :lol:

Safety wire has that "cool" factor, but is way too much of a hassle in my opinion.

I only safetywire the grips.

A good torque wrench, and to give the bike some tender loving care would be less hassle, remember all that safety wire is in the way when you wanna remove something, then you have to get it all back on...

Just tighten all bolts to proper torque, and check them at the same time you change oil would be more than enough for the average guy.

But hey, it looks plenty cool:thumbsup:

yeah i just want my grips to be as good as possible. another thing, where casn i get the foam that goes like behind the break lever and other places to keep mud off the bike. i ride a lot of mud races.

What happens to the throttle tube with this method? hehe

never tried it on a plastic tube, but with metal one I have it's fine :lol: