Service bulletin

Comparitive Negligence:

Official Honda motorcycle recalls are issued by the manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for specific motorcycles to notify consumers on any significant equipment defect or problem that may danger the safety of the rider and needs to be repaired.

Bottom line: A company doesn't want to do a recall. It's usually cheaper to have people die and pay out settlements.

I think Eddie is correct, it is not a recall because it is not a safety issue. Honda recalled the 07 CRF150R twice. Once for the cam and once for a bad weld on the swing arm. The cam issue was related to high RPM so a failure at speed would be dangerous. The pin and weight issue on the 09 CRF450R occurs at stall speed so the risk of injury is quite low. I think Honda is stepping up and doing what is right by the customer.

I am going to have Honda replace my pin and weight and then I will replace the pin with the MDK unit I already have just to be safe.

Comparitive Negligence:

Official Honda motorcycle recalls are issued by the manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for specific motorcycles to notify consumers on any significant equipment defect or problem that may danger the safety of the rider and needs to be repaired.

Bottom line: A company doesn't want to do a recall. It's usually cheaper to have people die and pay out settlements.

It's not (always) the company. In this case Honda that has to pay for a recall.

A lot of parts are farmed out to be made by other companys. And that said company is responsible for tha costs incurred by the recall. Although in pretty sure Honda made these cams.

So would the dealership give me any crap for having an hour meter installed on my bike? Since it's not OEM. I don't see why they would. But I have one and just have not installed it yet, should I wait till after the recall to install it? I won't be riding the bike until the pin/weight is replaced by the dealer.

It's not (always) the company. In this case Honda that has to pay for a recall.

A lot of parts are farmed out to be made by other companys. And that said company is responsible for tha costs incurred by the recall. Although in pretty sure Honda made these cams.

It's not a matter of machining the parts incorrectly, if they are changing the weight and pin, it's probably due to a design issue. My guess is the weight will be either heavier or lighter so the pin doesn't engage at the same RPM as it does now. The pin may be of a sturdier design as well but if it doesn't engage at the wrong time may be less a contributor to the failures.

Has anybody been contacted by honda yet about the recall on the decompresson pin, I have had mine since mid sep and havent heard anything.

I called my Honda dealer yesterday. They said they have not received the parts kit yet but they were going to order a kit now for me. The Honda dealership I deal with in NM is awesome. Now if I can just keep it from breaking before then...

well considering my second pin just went on me yesterday i am just gonna go with the MDK one. is the weight you talk about eddie available??

can i replace just the pin?? last time they just sent me a whole new cam with pin and all.