whats the difference in performance?

How much better are the 09s vs an 08? I am wanting to purchase an 09 te450 but here in Kalifornia we're having to wait until the CARB people get thru approving the smog equipment ( probably welding the stuff on so we can't remove it). Been waiting patiently but I'd like to take advantage of the rebate, can only wait another month. Told the dealer to get me an 08 if the 09s don't show up in time.

Sounds like BS...the ergos are pretty much the same! I wonder if your the suspension was set-up different on both bikes from the factory.

The 09 is so much better in the corners. I would wait in my opinion and I have owned both 08 and 09. No way would I go back to the 08.

I bet the dealer told you that. r u thier test rider Hahaha.?

I know you aren't talking to me but just to ramble, I try hard to stay away from that dealer jargin. However, if it's possible to find the '09 for a price similar to the '08 leftover, it'd probably be ideal.

I tend to doubt that huge changes are made from one model year to another. however, I believe that big leaps in performance do happen from time to time...

I bet they went to SS exhaust valves to save $, the titanium valves have been no trouble since after 2004.

09 has a different oil filter too, that's not yet available, apparently the <08 filter 'fits' though.

The updated computer is nice. I bet the 09 dual fuel map w/switch will be killer.

Frame geometry is the same, yes? Just slightly thinner/lighter tubes used in 09. The power up kit for 08 is readily available for $350.

Both are simply amazing machines! AND California has yet to get the 09, thanks CARB (or BMW for not doing the paperwork soon enough). Small dealers are hurtin', buy what they got on the floor.

Ok, off soap box. ?

I bet they went to SS exhaust valves to save $, the titanium valves have been no trouble since after 2004.

09 has a different oil filter too, that's not yet available, apparently the <08 filter 'fits' though.

Actually according to the factory HSQ trainer, the switch to stainless exhaust valves was for concerns of reliability and longevity. The cost was not the issue. They were also able to accomplish essentially the same weight as a Ti component due to some new design/technology, so the benefit of Ti was negated by the other factors

As for the new 09 oil filter, the new part number will replace the old ones once the supply of 08 filters are gone. The newer 09 filters have improved cold start performance and pressure relief, thus less susceptible to caving in.

I have yet to meet/ride with anyone with the skill-set to feel that kind of a difference let alone utilize the suttle bennefits of this frame to the point of improving their riding abilities. Like Kelly always says most modern day bikes are all pretty good...I have to agree. This mortal rider wouldn't be able to get anymore performance out of the 09 compared to my 08.

David

'09 frame is lighter AND more rigid. Could add up to a big improvement in corners, rigidity majorly affects turning, but I haven't ridden either year:cry:.

I have yet to meet/ride with anyone with the skill-set to feel that kind of a difference let alone utilize the suttle bennefits of this frame to the point of improving their riding abilities. Like Kelly always says most modern day bikes are all pretty good...I have to agree. This mortal rider wouldn't be able to get anymore performance out of the 09 compared to my 08.

David

Soooo..... All R&D and development should STOP?? We're at The Best Place, already? The factory learned NOTHING by the changes and their rider feedback was worthless?? Lot's of sublte changes, over time and blended together, can't add up to a big difference? 2.2 lbs lighter is useless?

Yep, you're jealous of the new frame!!

Lol jk, I'm jealous of either year.