Opinions on chains ??

I think I've narrowed it to these two, I think. Any thoughts?

D.I.D. 520VT2 Narrow T-Ring Chain

[DID520VT2]

D.I.D 520VM Premium X-Ring Chain

[62-875]

Thanks

DID 520VM X-ring. You'll need a spacer with this chain as well... Fastway has one pretty cheap..

12-12-07FMFPowerBomb018.jpg

2-01-08NewDIDRenthal003.jpg

The VM is a beast. The best chain out there bar none.

I've got some buddies that are using the VT on their X's (so they did not have to do the spacer thing) and they are very happy so far. But that chain is still not in the same league as the VM (but it is closer than most others).

I have 200 miles on VT and so far so good. I have the rivit link and you need to be smart when using the tool but it is easy. No spacer for me.... I got my chain from Sprocketcenter.com. Great service. The guy told me I will never break the chain. I know famous last words. Good luck

The VM is a beast. The best chain out there bar none.

I've got some buddies that are using the VT on their X's (so they did not have to do the spacer thing) and they are very happy so far. But that chain is still not in the same league as the VM (but it is closer than most others).

The VT is very much as worthy as the VM.

To say it is not in the same league is a really silly statement.

The tensile strength is actually higher on the VT according to DID, the wear index id different but that stat is BS if you ask me anyway.

http://www.didchain.com/specs.htm

I tend to think the other way (as far as which spec is BS) on tensile strength. Too high of a number to me just means brittle. High tensile steels are typically lower in ductility, which is not always a good thing. Maybe that is my metallurgical engineering background coming out. The old Sidewinder chains had tensile strength numbers that were way higher than anything else out there. I also saw a LOT of those chains snap in two.

Anyway, it is a moot point. I'll be able to tell you first hand which one wears out first since the guys I ride with all have one or the other. Of course, riding styles, conditions, and overall drive system care vary greatly from bike to bike, so is it really going to be comparable to what others see? Maybe, maybe not. But so far the VM is winning the "stretch" war...

IMO they are on equal ground.

I have used both on my 450....neither one was better than the other.

However I would chose the vmx for my 650 just cause thats what it comes with stock, and it is an awesome chain.

All good but bang for the buck would a 520EXW RK chain. About $75 and an awesome chain.

Thats all I pay for a VM-X

All good but bang for the buck would a 520EXW RK chain. About $75 and an awesome chain.

I JUST BOUGHT THIS CHAIN.WHATS THIS TALK ABOUT A SPACER? DO I NEED ONE W/ THE 520EXW RK?

You better find out if you need a spacer. I bot a non DID o-ring chain they said would work. It did hit the case enough to scratch it. I took the chain off after one ride. Bot the DID VT OEM replacement and running great.

I've never used a spacer on the 450X or 450R FWIW.

Thats all I pay for a VM-X

That's great! What's retail on that chain?

520VM for $75? where did you find that deal?

520VM for $75? where did you find that deal?

Shop around.

Retail?!?!? what does that matter, the end price is what matters.

And before that quality, and function are called into play, add price into the game and its clear DID chains are the kind.

I used to run these because I did not want to pay for the VM for my 650R. Broke two of 'em in under six months of run time each, one of those taking the cases with it. Never again. I can run a VM for over double the time of the RK with no chance of breaking. To me that makes the VM worth it based on retail price alone.

Shop around.

And before that quality, and function are called into play, add price into the game and its clear DID chains are the king.

Too true. :lol:

With a little shopping you can get the VM for a good price (for what it is), you just really have to look (and occassionally haggle!). I like to get the VM aftermarket as you can get the nice fancy gold color (everyone loves a little bling), but I can get a much better price on the Honda part# so that's what I usually run with. But like a Racoon, every now and then I am drawn to the shiny object and just have to have it...

Shop around.

And before that quality, and function are called into play, add price into the game and its clear DID chains are the kind.

That's right but when I said "retail" I meant the price the end consumer pays for the product. So if you shop around and find a lower retail price that's good but it is still a retail price. Otherwise it would be a discounted price not available to the general public or a wholesale price. I'm not arguing DID quality or the get what you pay for idea. I am saying the DID chains are more expensive in general. I use DID chains also and have no complaints but I'll say the same for RK and they are less expensive.....OR maybe not:thumbsup:

I used to run these because I did not want to pay for the VM for my 650R. Broke two of 'em in under six months of run time each, one of those taking the cases with it. Never again. I can run a VM for over double the time of the RK with no chance of breaking. To me that makes the VM worth it based on retail price alone.

Too true. :lol:

With a little shopping you can get the VM for a good price (for what it is), you just really have to look (and occassionally haggle!). I like to get the VM aftermarket as you can get the nice fancy gold color (everyone loves a little bling), but I can get a much better price on the Honda part# so that's what I usually run with. But like a Racoon, every now and then I am drawn to the shiny object and just have to have it...

Man you're hard on chains:busted: The VM is a great looking chain and super high quality. This is the first I've heard of an RK snapping though. Maybe RK should drop the price another $25:lol: :worthy::banghead::busted:

That's right but when I said "retail" I meant the price the and consumer pays for the product. So if you shop around and find a lower retail price that's good but it is still a retail price. Otherwise it would be a discounted price not available to the general public or a wholesale price. I'm not arguing DID quality or the get what you pay for idea. I am saying the DID chains are more expensive in general. I use DID chains also and have no complaints but I'll say the same for RK and they are less expensive.....OR maybe not:thumbsup:

Typically "retail" is just a shortened version of "Suggested Retail" it is quite often abbrevated as such.

example the "Retail" price of a bike and what you end up paying ... you dont ever pay "retail" for a bike do you ?

With that said the "retail" of the VM-X is around $130

I got my last one at the TT store on a big special ( a "retail" store per se') but I did not pay "retail"

see how convoluted it gets.....

so usually people when they refer to "retail price" or "retail" they are talking about the price the MFG "suggests" they charge for it.....not usually what they end up paying, not at least in the land of bike parts, bikes, cars and such.

so....... who's on first ???????:lol:

That's right but when I said "retail" I meant the price the and consumer pays for the product. So if you shop around and find a lower retail price that's good but it is still a retail price. Otherwise it would be a discounted price not available to the general public or a wholesale price. I'm not arguing DID quality or the get what you pay for idea. I am saying the DID chains are more expensive in general. I use DID chains also and have no complaints but I'll say the same for RK and they are less expensive.....OR maybe not:thumbsup:

I got my DID X ring for $75 as well. They may be more expensive at retail price but shopping around will give you an exceptional chain for the price of a standard chain.

I think we're all worried about the Price and Quality of what we buy. Who cares if you call it the retail or discount price as long as the price is low and the quality is high.

Here's two :lol::worthy: for my X ring chain from DID.

Note: I have nothing against the RK chains.