Truck Bed Questions for hauling bikes

I have used an SUV with a motojack rack to haul my bike around but I am about to buy an access cab Toyota Tacoma and need some help. Thanks in advance.

What bed extender is good. I am looking at those cages that rotate inside and outside to the tailgate. But is there a special one so that you can just fit it on after the bike is end? Good place. I would like to pick one up on Craigslist used if possible.

Is there a good bed cover that I do not have to take off every time I put my bike in. Maybe something that rolls up. What would be great is a rack that rolls up, accommodates a dirt bike, and accommodates bicycles. I don't want to have to take the front rim wheel off every time I throw it in the truck.

What ramps are good for getting the bike in the truck. I would like a ramp that is good for my street bike as well dirtbike, but the street bike ramp may be too big for everytime dirtbike use.

Thanks again.

longer the ramps the better , personally i have two 8ft folding aluminum ramps about a foot wide . i walk up one and drive the bike up beside me . expanded steel top on them . make sure you put a strap from the ramp to your bumper or hitch i have definitely had ramps slip before .

i think those taco's come standard with the little bed extender don't they ? i gave one away that i found on the highway . i don't think they are that hard to attach /detach . if you only have one bike you could just put it in on an angle then you can still close the gate .

longer the ramps the better , personally i have two 8ft folding aluminum ramps about a foot wide . i walk up one and drive the bike up beside me . expanded steel top on them . make sure you put a strap from the ramp to your bumper or hitch i have definitely had ramps slip before .

i think those taco's come standard with the little bed extender don't they ? i gave one away that i found on the highway . i don't think they are that hard to attach /detach . if you only have one bike you could just put it in on an angle then you can still close the gate .

they're not standard, but you can get them from the factory.

The problem with the those extenders is that you have to rotate them upwards to release/install the gate (back of gate facing straight up in the air). So, if you already have a bike in the bed, you won't be able to get them on. The beds in the Double Cabs are short enough that the rear wheel sticks out so it interferes with that type of extender. Don't know about other brands of extenders...

I have an '04 Double Cab (not an "access cab"), I don't use a bed extender with my bike(s). Usually, there's enough crap stuffed in the bad that nothing falls out, or a just run a strap thru the stuff in the back.

As for getting the bike in the bed, I usually just get a running start, and I put a milk crate next to the ramp so I can step up on that first, then into the bed.

?

Then I got a 4x8 trailer and all my woes ended! :worthy:

• 1 month later...
http://readyramp.com/

kill two birds with one stone. I have one for my tundra, wouldn't trade it for anything. my bed is just a few inches too short if I want to haul two bikes, so I got the ready ramp, saves space because it is the ramp and the extender.

rr.header.main.pic5.jpg

I will second this as I just ordered mine and found the idea to be so worthwhile. I'll report back with how I think it does after I get it. ?

Get yourself some ABS pipe and make your own bed extender. Mine cost me about $30 and works great. I fasten it to the tailgate hardware with bungie cords.

Get yourself a pre-bent ramp end from a hardware store. I bolted mine to a 6 ft 2X10. Push the bike up the ramp and use my bike stand as a step to get into the bed. I'm 54 yrs old and I can do it...so can you.?

http://readyramp.com/

kill two birds with one stone. I have one for my tundra, wouldn't trade it for anything. my bed is just a few inches too short if I want to haul two bikes, so I got the ready ramp, saves space because it is the ramp and the extender.

rr.header.main.pic5.jpg

Get one of these. I have had one for about 3 years and it still works like the day I bought it.