PW50 Stalls crossing puddles

My son's PW50 will either stall or drop back to idle when he rides through a puddle. When it stalls, the bike will re-start easily, but dies immediately when you switch the ignition switch from the start to run positions. Same thing happens when washing it. Let it sit for a while and dry out, and it runs fine. Any suggestions for troubleshooting/fixing this?

The obvious possibility to me is a cracked plug boot or wire, shorts to the head and stalls.

Wrap it in electrical tape, if it gets better, that's your problem.

Aside from that, it could be any electrical connection, the next ones to check are on the coil and kill switch. Make sure those are tight and waterproofed in some manner.

If that's not it, post here again.

Put some dielectric grease on the top of the plug before plugging in the cable, and yes - any place water can get to your electrical is a sure place a short will ocurr.

A way to check is to run the bike while soaking it selectively with the hose until the problem happens - should be able to narrow down where it is pretty ast that way. I'm guessing anywhere from the coil to the plug.

Every pw ive seen does this what happens is the switch gets wet. If you put it between the start and run it will run fine. You have to just hold the throttle and gently wedge it between start and run you will notice the bike come alive with the throttle on and it will be fine. I had to do this every time we rode in any puddles. I learned the trick from another track dad. I'm not sure of a permenant fix but it will wedge between start and run if you take your time. hope this helps i went through alot of headache until I talked to the other dad. If you want to test it at home wash the bike it will do the same.

There is a white flat plug behind the front number plate. It is this plug that causes the problems when it gets wet. There are 3 wires that connect there, if I remember correctly. You can simply unplug this connector and it will work fine. The switch would then be simply on/off. It would start and run in both "start" and "run" positions. "off" would kill the motor.

This is not AMA legal to unplug the switch, but if you arent racing....who cares?? If you want it in place, take measures to waterproof this connection. It is without a doubt, the cause of your problems.

I'm glad you posted I would just kinda jimmy the switch but I'll let the guy who bought my bike know about this. The method I used worked but it was a bit of a pain.

There is a white flat plug behind the front number plate. It is this plug that causes the problems when it gets wet. There are 3 wires that connect there, if I remember correctly. You can simply unplug this connector and it will work fine. The switch would then be simply on/off. It would start and run in both "start" and "run" positions. "off" would kill the motor.

This is not AMA legal to unplug the switch, but if you arent racing....who cares?? If you want it in place, take measures to waterproof this connection. It is without a doubt, the cause of your problems.

Right on.

It seems to me that the CDI is getting wet and causing the bike to stay in the start mod. The CDI is bad. Disconnecting the white plug eliminates the system because it doesn't allow the cdi to go into start mod. It works but the CDI is most likely bad.

Putting the switch between run and start is the same thing as disconnecting the switch. Your making the circuit open.

Edited by toadl