how to set supesion

hi there. i just got a bike again after years on a quad. only prob is im not 14 any more and im alot heaver. the bike is a 07 ktm sxf 250. i will be setting up the sag and stuff when i have the bike all fixed up. but dont have a clue about setting damping preload or rebound. any help would be nice. thanks

im 15 stone:busted:

I wish I was 15 stone. I weigh in at around 19.5 stone. But for those out there that are confused with the conversion, 15 stone is 210lbs.

You will need a stiffer rear spring, at least one or two rates, to start with. If you do a search you will find some pretty good setup info for the straight rate springs from Ville on here.

I ended up going the progressive route (that is how my tuner wanted to go) so I don't use a rider sag number anymore. I only set my sag by the static setting (38mm). The rest of my suspension is of course all custom as well, so nothing I have done can help you. Sorry. But hopefully someone that is near your weight will chime in shortly to help you out!

VilleKTM will tell you what springs to run, and where your rear sag should be. He's the man in this dept.

Get a 7.6 or maybe even 8.0 rear spring. You need a spring that will give you 40/115 sag numbers so one of those rates should/will work.

Remove 20´-30 ml´s of fork oil . You may get away with the stock spring up front.

Im no expert on this, but thought I'd share my experiece, in that, the spring rates that were recommended to me and that eventually gave me some acceptable sag measurements coincide with the 'spring generator' results from MX tech's website.

I weigh 195lbs / 220 full gear and I used an 8.0 straight rate and kept the 0.46's up front

I came upon this link AFTER having gone through my re-spring, ...

for conversation sake here it is: http://www.mx-tech.com/index.php?id=spring_generator

the 'generator' recommended 8.1 and 0.47, ... pretty close to what I had already done !

MX -Tech knows their stuff. People just shouldn´t forget the fact that a spring swap alone won´t make the suspension right. It just gets the chassie loaded as intented. Once one gets the right springs there´s still lots of tinkering left with clicker settings etc. Also - sag numbers like the ones i recommend (40/115) are what works best for me (and actually for quite a few of my buddies) but in no means the absolute and definite truth that will work best for every rider on the Globe. I urge everyone to first ride the bike with those sag figures (which are near ballpark for most) and then try a one turn more /less sag to determine how they like it. Start from there ,try different clicker settings and slightly different sag figures and test little different fork heights etc. and you´ll be able to find the sweet spot.:lol:

hi there. i just got a bike again after years on a quad. only prob is im not 14 any more and im alot heaver. the bike is a 07 ktm sxf 250. i will be setting up the sag and stuff when i have the bike all fixed up. but dont have a clue about setting damping preload or rebound. any help would be nice. thanks

im 15 stone:busted:

have you tried the UK KTM forum ?

do you have a link for it

Ville,s info and specs are on the money

sorry mate cant do it at the mo but try www.uk ktm.co.uk ,just a different site ,a lot of irish lads on thats all and people who work for ktm in the uk, worth a look!

Ville,s info and specs are on the money

And so were your valve specs... I´ve tried to track you down but no luck. Your friend chimed in a while ago and i told him to give you a pat on the back. I can´t remember his secret TT code name though ...:lol:

I see every one is suggesting straight rate spring but race-tec suggests a progressive. Any opinions on straight v progressive?

I swear by the straight rate spring if the shock isn´t valved for progressive spring. The rear end gets too "wallowy" for my taste if i use prog. spring with stock valving.

There are people who feel the opposite although straight rate is more commonly used atleast over here.