Wiring Help - Heated Grips

Hey guys,

(I've really not wanted to create this thread, but I was left with no choice).

I'm a complete electro-phobe. I recieved a set of (under grip) heated grips in the post in January, with no instructions. I contacted the seller on eBay and they said they'd get back to me, but didn't anyhow after much googling I found a set of instructions that fitted the description of my kit. Seems quite straight forward and comprehensive and nothing too scary to fit.

However, the instructions say: "find a suitable ground" (which in text makes perfect sense). However, looking at the plate of spaghetti that's under the headlight cowling; it leaves that statement meaningless to me.

I have looked at the Clymer book endlessly to see where would be the best way to connect the kit up. Sure the brown cable that goes from the ignition to the tail light seems a good idea for the live. But then what about the ground wire?

So my question is... What/where do you connect your grips to without overloading the fuse on the circuit? Cheers!

Hey crawler, welcome to TT.

Try this link:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8130954

I'd find a more specific thread for you but I'm on dial-up and it takes me a long time to wade through them.

You can hook up a new ground w/ 14gauge wire directly to the black ( - ) side off the battery.

Good luck with that,

Tony

I used a relay for mine, fit behind the cowling no prob. Behind the cowling facing the top of the shocks there is a nice small bolt, maybe 10 mm that you can ground to with one of those crush on grommets. Ran and fused a hot wire to the batt, tapped into a hot wire when key turned on from ignition for a remote relay turn on., grounded grips and relay to bolt mentionned at first and ohter grip wires back to the relay. Works great, no chance of burning out something else in the process.

I used a relay for mine, fit behind the cowling no prob. Behind the cowling facing the top of the shocks there is a nice small bolt, maybe 10 mm that you can ground to with one of those crush on grommets. Ran and fused a hot wire to the batt, tapped into a hot wire when key turned on from ignition for a remote relay turn on., grounded grips and relay to bolt mentionned at first and ohter grip wires back to the relay. Works great, no chance of burning out something else in the process.

+1 This is exactly what I did, was enjoying the warmth of them not 20 minutes ago!

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

(So the vehicle frame is negatively ground? cool!)

Firedawg1998, I got a little confused with your description, the fused hot wire leading back to the battery, how does that connect with the ignition?

Sounds really simple what you've described there... *confidence building* :lol:

ya just stick your 2 black wires to a screw/bolt behind the cowl that is bolted to the frame/forks etc.