New Chain and Sprocket

So guys I need a little help...I want to change to a 48 in the back and a new chain. Do I need a Chain tool to remove the old chain? What about for the New Chain install? I've never installed a moto chain but have done many for my Mtn bikes. What length chain for a 48 sprocket? Thanks for your help people.

SC

You can use a Dremel tool or grinder to remove the old chain, but the best way is to use a chain tool just like you would on a bicycle. Depending on your new chain you will have to rivet (best way) or use a master link to put the chain back together. You will need to add at least two more links to the make up for the bigger sprocket. I believe the stock chain is 110 links...I added two links to my chain with my 47T and it works just fine. I just bought a used chain from a friend bought some new DID rivet style links and riveted in the new chain links. If you buy a new chain, just go a little big and modify the length to fit on install. There are links and how too if you search the web on chain tool alternatives, I have seen brake flare tools used with success to rivet the chain...Good luck, this is one of the best bang for buck mods to do on a WR250R/X

112 links for 13/48.

I did the swap without a chain tool.

I used a 4" angle grinder to take the rivet heads off on the stock chain. I then used a BIG screwdriver to pry the side plate off the rivet. Take both heads off for the link to be removed.

I did the same thing to cut the new 120 link chain down to 112 that I needed.

I used a master link. I like the simplicity of the master link verses riveting. (This will start a whole host of rivet vs. master link replies... just like oil and tires...)

I would like to try the 13/46 (110 links). I think it would be a great all around set-up. The 13/48 is great in the rocks but eats gas and is a little whiney at 65mph....

So guys I need a little help...I want to change to a 48 in the back and a new chain. Do I need a Chain tool to remove the old chain? What about for the New Chain install? I've never installed a moto chain but have done many for my Mtn bikes. What length chain for a 48 sprocket? Thanks for your help people.

SC

The stock chain is DID 520V (o-ring) 108 links.

The new chain I bought was 120 links, and you remove links to fit. 110 links might work with 48/13, but you will have to move the axle forward about 1/4", so it might not - it will be close. 112 links will work for sure, but it will move the axle back about 7/16". See a chart I made at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8568611&postcount=1484.

Can anyone recommend a chain?

Can't figure what's the difference between original chain (520 V) and the one I have put on my bike 520 VM (DID GOLD). Thanks

Can't figure what's the difference between original chain (520 V) and the one I have put on my bike 520 VM (DID GOLD). Thanks
The 520vm is a tougher chain. Probably overkill for this 250. Not sure it's worth the $35 more in this application.

Here are the specs: http://www.didchain.com/specs.htm

Ok. thanks for the link. Noticed that VM has Roler Dia. 10.22 and VM is different: 10.16.

Could this be bad for my sprockets pls. ?

520vm is x'ring

oem is o'ring

Ok. thanks for the link. Noticed that VM has Roler Dia. 10.22 and VM is different: 10.16.

Could this be bad for my sprockets pls. ?

The 520VM is offered as an upgrade for bikes running the 520V so, it appears it should be fine. They don't list the WRR on the application chart but, they do have other bikes in which they offer it as an upgrade from their stock 520V. This bike should be no different. You just have a heavier duty chain now. I wouldn't worry.

BTW, X-ring is better:thumbsup: .

... heavier duty ... and heavier also. Thank you. I'm cool now :p