Sign in to follow this  

Power Valve Cover

I started my bike the other day and noticed it was smoking quite a bit down around the engine. I looked around and noticed that the power valve cover had about a CM gap between it and the engine. Apparently the bolts vibrated loose while I was riding.

My question is what all do I need to do? Do I just replace the bolts and tighten it down? Do I clean it up really good, etc?

In about two weeks. I tried getting a picture but my bike is a little dirty and it's crammed in there right behind the frame and radiators it's really hard to see.

I started my bike the other day and noticed it was smoking quite a bit down around the engine. I looked around and noticed that the power valve cover had about a CM gap between it and the engine. Apparently the bolts vibrated loose while I was riding.

My question is what all do I need to do? Do I just replace the bolts and tighten it down? Do I clean it up really good, etc?

You said Cm.. did you mean mm? 1cm is really hanging off. If it was just a little loose you could probably take it off, clean it up, and put it back on. Probably replace gasket if there is one there.

Perhaps good time to clean powervalve if you haven't done it in awhile.

never heard of that either... I' ve cleaned my PV before though, and If it came off while riding, my guess is it could use a cleaning? Keep the junk out of there. How is it, lots of black gunk? Use some "Scotch-Brite" or an old toothbrush if you have one. And you can probably get the bolts you need from your dealer (If you can even stand going there)

You said Cm.. did you mean mm? 1cm is really hanging off. If it was just a little loose you could probably take it off, clean it up, and put it back on. Probably replace gasket if there is one there.

Perhaps good time to clean powervalve if you haven't done it in awhile.

Nope one CM. I think there is only one bolt left.

Hmm.. that's why I wanted to see a pic.

Are the bolts broken or just missing? Will the cover fit back on flush against the side, or is the powervalve broken and in the way somehow? If the bolts simply vibrated out you could probably just replace the bolts and the gasket and be good to go. About $9 for 4 bolts and a gasket on my Honda... yours would probably be similar. But if the bolts are broken or the valve is damaged in some weird way it could be more complicated.

• Like 1

OK thanks. I was planning on doing it this past Saturday but didn't get to the store in time. I will probably have to wait until this coming Saturday. Is a really gasket needed or can I use the one that's there? I'll try and get some pictures later but it's really hard to see it.

OK thanks. I was planning on doing it this past Saturday but didn't get to the store in time. I will probably have to wait until this coming Saturday. Is a really gasket needed or can I use the one that's there? I'll try and get some pictures later but it's really hard to see it.

I'd order a new gasket. Like I said before, the gasket costs about $5 for my bike then $1 per bolt (for OEM).

You done anything else to your bike since your crash? I got mine the cleanest it has been in years after I broke my collarbone in November. I replaced all the linkage bearings, greased every other bearing. I might get it dirty for the first time this weekend if the weather is good.:p

most likely you will have to pull the cylinder in order to get to the pv so you should get a topend gasket set wich will also come with pv gasket and since you are going that far why not put a set of rings in it since it realy wont be much more work

most likely you will have to pull the cylinder in order to get to the pv so you should get a topend gasket set wich will also come with pv gasket and since you are going that far why not put a set of rings in it since it realy wont be much more work

Hmmm I think I'll just stick to bolting the cover back on:lol:

No. For the first couple of weeks I couldn't because of limited mobility due to my knee. And now I can't really do much due to money and, even though I haven't asked, I would imagine my dad would say something like there is no need to. I plan on giving it a good clean this coming weekend though.

I have cleaned my gear really good and organized all my tools and stuff but that's pretty much all I could get away with.

I'd order a new gasket. Like I said before, the gasket costs about $5 for my bike then $1 per bolt (for OEM).

You done anything else to your bike since your crash? I got mine the cleanest it has been in years after I broke my collarbone in November. I replaced all the linkage bearings, greased every other bearing. I might get it dirty for the first time this weekend if the weather is good.:p

No. For the first couple of weeks I couldn't because of limited mobility due to my knee. And now I can't really do much due to money and, even though I haven't asked, I would imagine my dad would say something like there is no need to. I plan on giving it a good clean this coming weekend though.

I have cleaned my gear really good and organized all my tools and stuff but that's pretty much all I could get away with.

Oh yeah, I did the tool organize thing too! I spent like a whole weekend on that. Now as long as I don't screw it up again...

I've followed your posts a little bit; I know I've read that you are pretty new to this. Have you done a topend yet?

Oh yeah, I did the tool organize thing too! I spent like a whole weekend on that. Now as long as I don't screw it up again...

I've followed your posts a little bit; I know I've read that you are pretty new to this. Have you done a topend yet?

No. I got my friend to ride my bike and he said the power felt fine and that it didn't need a top end.

No. I got my friend to ride my bike and he said the power felt fine and that it didn't need a top end.

if you can get a 4 stroke that is 5 mins from grenading that runs and starts well, and it makes no noises or has any visible problems, it will "run fine"

if you want any good measurements, get a leakdown tester, and a good set of gauges to measure bore. take the cylinder off, and do a new top end anyway

and unless your friend can tell the difference in horsepower equal to maybe 2-3 hp in a 30hp bike with an abrupt powerband (2 stroke) I wouldn't take chances... and unless he can tell the performance difference on a bike he's most likely not ridden very much before, don't take his advice...

Sorry, but just because your friend has an opinion you like does not mean you shouldn't do a top end. if it blows up and you're out around $500, you'll most likely value his less than credible opinion a little lower

Yeah I don't know anything about it. He's pretty good with his bike and has been riding a while so I just assumed he knew what he was talking about.

like said above, now is prolly a good time to do a topend. If you wait until you can feel it low on power it may be too late. You said before money was tight, which I certainly understand, but this could be a case of $150 now or $600 later. Do you plan on riding this bike this whole summer too? If so, I'd do topend, bearings, and fork and shock rebuilds if they haven't been done recently.

Around May I plan on replacing springs and suspension oils and then I'll try and do a top end. I'll do my bearings as well. But yes, the whole summer and every weekend until then.