Sign in to follow this  

nothing ever goes smoothly ...

02 wr 125 that I bought used to test the 125 waters...

Doing some pre-season work.

The steering stem bearings look like they should be replaced.

How do you get the damn races out of the head tube??

here is only about a 1/16 of the race sticking out inside the tube. I can't come up with anything that can get a decent purchase the edge of the race to get it out of there.

My old stand by Big Azz screw driver that has worked on every other bike didn't work ... Big Azz punch, big azz chisel, big azz pipe, nothing ... put the heat to it etc etc etc. If I knew it was going to be such a pain I would have just cleaned things up and hit it with some grease ... too late now ... I'm guessing I'll have to buy some race removal tol from motion pro.

anyone got any tips??

02 wr 125 that I bought used to test the 125 waters...

How do you get the damn races out of the head tube??

here is only about a 1/16 of the race sticking out inside the tube. I can't come up with anything that can get a decent purchase the edge of the race to get it out of there.

anyone got any tips??

It's possible to grind some of the metal head tube away, right where the bearing race bottoms out. You really only need to grind in two, opposite spots, just enough so you can get some edge of the race to protrude 'above' the head tube. The head tube thickness is obviously thick enough here (thicker than the cross section of the race AND the tube wall needed to support the race), to allow for some careful grinding...then the 'big azz' techniques work as normal! :lol:

That park tools one might work.

I did the grind thing on my CR250 back when. And I actually ground the race out, also. Use a cone shaped high-speed carbide steel bit, and carefully grind a groove in the race. Work slowly and deliberately, with good light. You can see the break where you get through the race and hit frame. The deepest part of the race is difficult to grind through, but will get so thin that a sharp blow will crack it. It will then pry out fairly easily. Then grind a relief to easily pound them out in the future.

I have to grind out boogered rear axle and swingarm bearings in quads literally all the time. It works wonderfully. Of course you have to be carefull about digging into the base metal. minor grooving is unavoidable and will not affect the performance of the new bearing/race.

Hey Dave I got one ride on the bike before the snow rolled in. The front forks were sweet!!

Doing a little preseason maintenance so its ready to go. Those steering stem bearings looked pretty nasty, rusty colored grease etc etc. I was thinking about cleaning them up but the races have a layer of hard gunk on them. I figured if the races had that crud on them they had been in there a bit. Got to think I bunged up the lower race by now. I'll check it in the a.m., maybe if the race isn't pooched I can clean them and slap it back together. The wheel bearings seem fine, the spacers are a bit worn so I'll likely replace those. I did a compression check and it blew a 160 so I'm going to replace the piston ring with the one you gave me. Clean out the pipe, repack the silencer. Is there a spark arrestor in that silencer? The reeds are like new. Might try and put the wiring harness back on so I can plate it. Other than the kinda low compression seems like most things are in order!! Although the clutch seemed to drag a bit. But when I rode it was prety cold, seemed to get bewtter when it warmed up. got any Idea on the condition of the clutch?? Its got a 35 pilot and 390 main jet, did you run that jetting in the summer??

did you get that 250??

a trick i used many times is to run a bead of weld around the inside of the race causing the race to shrink when it cools and pretty much falls out.

a trick i used many times is to run a bead of weld around the inside of the race causing the race to shrink when it cools and pretty much falls out.

Interesting. because the weld creates inward tension? I've never heard of doing that.