Rm 85 03/04 Fork 125 Conversion

I have received a set of forks and clamps off a rm 85 from fleabay. The guy I bought them off assured me they were off a 05 rm 85 . I soon realized I had been had when I could not bolt the caliper up. These forks are clearly the older 03/04 type.

I searched this forum again to see what's needed to complete the conversion.

Am I correct in assuming that if I replace the brake rotor to a 03/04 rm 85 ( 195mm ) the caliper will fit? Without going out and measuring I have read that the drz 125 rotor is 220mm. I could also possibly get the rotor lathed down to size.

Also my front axle bolt is a bit short and I need one longer caliper bolt.

Will this work has anyone managed to do this without having to buy a rm 85 04 wheel, rotor and brake system?

For anyone interested in the difference in weight from a stock drz 125 fork and clamp setup to a rm 85 ( 03/04) forks, clamps and sliders .... the rm set up is heavier by just over 2lbs (1kg).

Just to add to this post . The drz 125 rotor is 220mm in dia. and no you can't lath down the rotor to 195mm there will not be enough contact metal left to brake against.

I will have to try a older smaller rm 85 03/04 rotor to see if this does the trick.

What about welding a plate to the back of rotor to give the correct clearance? (kina like the oversized brake kits, only add to the caliper side....weld it directly to the caliper.) I have seen it done that way. I think this is what you meant when you said the caliper wont bolt up....(you mean the holes line up but the disc is to large correct?

Tom

Yes correct Tom.

That did cross my mind . Good idea though. I will give it some more thought now I know it's been done. Saves buying a smaller rotor too when the drz one is like new still.

We've been riding the drz without the front disc to try the suspension out, boy what a difference. The bike turns much better and is sooo much smother on the rough. The bike also wheelies much easier which I like , a lot of fun with just the jetted and piped engine . It will be a absolute blast with a big bore kit in.

Went out with some mates today on my crf 250x and still could not resist a play on the drz when I came back.

Using the 03/04 RM85 brake rotor will bolt right up and work fine.

adding the plate to the back of the caliper is easy cause its steel I believe. And just think, why pay more money to run a smaller disk? The power is in the larger disk....Im a slave to fashion, so I run the smaller disk (wave rotor), but I can tell you the drz disk has way more stopping power. I remember when I switched going crap....why did I just spend money on that?..my original setup was with the plate welded on and the drz rotor, its defenetly the way to go.

Tom

Job done , welded on a bracket extension to the caliper so I can now run the larger drz brake rotor.

Thanks for prodding me in the right direction Tom. :p

:p I think you were gonna figure that one out on your own anyways....:ride:

Tom

I have received a set of forks and clamps off a rm 85 from fleabay. The guy I bought them off assured me they were off a 05 rm 85 . I soon realized I had been had when I could not bolt the caliper up. These forks are clearly the older 03/04 type.

I searched this forum again to see what's needed to complete the conversion.

Am I correct in assuming that if I replace the brake rotor to a 03/04 rm 85 ( 195mm ) the caliper will fit? Without going out and measuring I have read that the drz 125 rotor is 220mm. I could also possibly get the rotor lathed down to size.

Also my front axle bolt is a bit short and I need one longer caliper bolt.

Will this work has anyone managed to do this without having to buy a rm 85 04 wheel, rotor and brake system?

For anyone interested in the difference in weight from a stock drz 125 fork and clamp setup to a rm 85 ( 03/04) forks, clamps and sliders .... the rm set up is heavier by just over 2lbs (1kg).

So are you saying that the newer dual piston caliper will not fit the older 2003 rm85 forks? I too am about to embark on a little front end project. Thank god i came across your thread, i was about to click the comit to buy button lol. So what changed on the 05+ forks?

'05 forks had cali[per mounting point moved further up the legs to accomodate larger disc (ie the earlier RM85 had smaller discs than the DRZ125). The '05 onwards forks also came with the twin pot calipers but I think (not 100%) that the calipers are interchangeable.

Anyone who is running the '05 forks - I have an EBC oversize rotor kit that that comes with a 240mm rotor and conversion bracket. Just fitted up to a DRZ hob but not used. Very good quality nice looking rotor that bolts straight up to a DRZ hub Could be persuaded to sell for 50% retail. $75USdrzfrontrim.jpg