Round Two trying to fix clogged FCR/Tank/ Petcock?

So some of you might remember this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736448&highlight=bike+running+poor

After I cleaned it the first time, it ran great until I hit reserve and then it crapped out again. It sat since Superbowl weekend because of bad weather and today I ripped it apart again. Are there any tips to cleaning an FCR?

I pulled out the needle and jets. Cleaned both carb and needles with carb cleaner. Now I will flush the tank again. Any other tips? I'm also gonna install an in-line fuel filter between the petcock and carb.

One thing I noticed was none of the jets seemed clogged. That I could tell.

I did notice something with the Pilot Jet. Looking through the end, it seems that it's not a perfect bore through it. Down by the end where there are the tiny holes on the side if it, it appears to be something. Can't explain. I have a tiny needle that just fits the end. It will slide into the jet until it gets to that area then stops. Is this normal or do I need a new Pilot Jet? It's almost like some burrs left over from machining the side holes into the jet.

FYI, this was what came with my TT FCR Kit. It must have always been like this and has run great so I don't think it's a problem. What else should I clean in the carb? Where would it normally clog up?

Maybe it's a petcock problem?

You have spooge on the bottom of your tank.

Drain and remove your tank. Remove the petcock. Tape over the petcock opening. Put a little CLEAN gravel in with some diesel/kerosene (a quart or so). Gently shake the tank so the gravel scrubs the bottm. Pour it out through a coffee filter. Repeat till there is only gravel in the filter. Rinse the tank a few times with your diesel/kerosene. Reinstall. While the petcock is out, give it a carefull cleaning.

Buy a new pilot jet. Poking it with anything is not a good idea. Cleaning is often fruitless.

You have spooge on the bottom of your tank.

Drain and remove your tank. Remove the petcock. Tape over the petcock opening. Put a little CLEAN gravel in with some diesel/kerosene (a quart or so). Gently shake the tank so the gravel scrubs the bottm. Pour it out through a coffee filter. Repeat till there is only gravel in the filter. Rinse the tank a few times with your diesel/kerosene. Reinstall. While the petcock is out, give it a carefull cleaning.

Buy a new pilot jet. Poking it with anything is not a good idea. Cleaning is often fruitless.

:lol: +1

Can you get them from the TT store? I noticed I tore the boot (carb to motor) a tiny bit so I might as well order another to be safe. It's such a b!tch to get in and out. The intake part of the motor is kind of sharp and cuts into the boot trying to fit it into position.

Anyone know the part # for the pilot jet and boot? Or should I just call them and tell them what I need? I might as well go ahead and get the Merge AP spring as well. Will I need to re-adjust the AP timing after the spring is installed?

Just call or you can look them up on an online fiche. Be sure they know the pilot is for the FCR and the 'boot' is the same as in the conversion kit.

No, the spring will not change the timing (as long as you do not turn the timing screw!)

So some of you might remember this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736448&highlight=bike+running+poor

After I cleaned it the first time, it ran great until I hit reserve and then it crapped out again. It sat since Superbowl weekend because of bad weather and today I ripped it apart again. Are there any tips to cleaning an FCR?

I pulled out the needle and jets. Cleaned both carb and needles with carb cleaner. Now I will flush the tank again. Any other tips? I'm also gonna install an in-line fuel filter between the petcock and carb.

One thing I noticed was none of the jets seemed clogged. That I could tell.

I did notice something with the Pilot Jet. Looking through the end, it seems that it's not a perfect bore through it. Down by the end where there are the tiny holes on the side if it, it appears to be something. Can't explain. I have a tiny needle that just fits the end. It will slide into the jet until it gets to that area then stops. Is this normal or do I need a new Pilot Jet? It's almost like some burrs left over from machining the side holes into the jet.

FYI, this was what came with my TT FCR Kit. It must have always been like this and has run great so I don't think it's a problem. What else should I clean in the carb? Where would it normally clog up?

Maybe it's a petcock problem?

i have this for protect my 41m FCR the pic here is from when i had the stock carb on , but you get what i did , filter_002.jpg

Tried to call yesterday but they were closed. Will try Monday. Not too sure about the gravel in the tank. I will just use kerosine and shake the crap out of it a few times then wash with hot soapy water. Flush again. Then maybe a rubbing alchohol rinse before filling with fresh gas.

hey Iron, listen to William1. He's telling you straight about the gravel. it will act as a mild abrasive and help you get rid of the crap that's screwing you up. It won't hurt anything. or, you could buy my used SM tank with the petcock. i'm running a Clarke and i don't need it any more.

Is the gravel easy to remove? Seem like there is a lip that it would get caught on by the gas cap. The filler tube. Or do you dump it out the petcock opening? I had trouble just draining it completely last time. It seemed like no matter hold I tried, it would always have a bit of fluid in there still. I just don't want to end up with a couple pieces of rock I can't get out.

Stick a shop vac hose in there. Just make sure to rinse it out very well with clear water before you do it. More than one house has been burned to the ground when a homeowner vacced up a gas spill in the garage.