Sign in to follow this  

enlarging stock tank

seems like there are lots of creative /frugal/handy riders I havent read of anyone enlarging a stock fuel tank. Seems like it could be cut along the sides and gussets welded in that would allow greater fuel capacity without having to spend $250 on an IMS tank and not have to try to remember to shut your petcock off like with the IMS. any thoughts ?

it sounds do able enough but for under 250.00? I dunno

once you cut & fabricate & weld then you have to grind it down smooth & re paint.

I think you'll run past the 250.00 mark......unless you can do all of that work yourself.

Hey some Guy over at advrider.com did the same tank mod to a xt225, see link below. Seems like a lot of work but if you are into that kind of thing it would be a great project.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408462&highlight=xt225+tank

This may be the best thing I've got from TT. Thanks, very much.

I need a bigger tank on the DR, but I hate the plastic options, dunno why, they just don't appeal to me.

I have a friend who is a tig welder. He has his own business and specializes in precision titanium and stainless work - aerospace and research stuff. He could do that tank job shown on ADV in an afternoon!

I never put it together that he could mod my DR tank like that. Now I see what can be done. Thanks for the inspiration!

Part of the appeal of an aftermarket plastic tank and cap is saving a little up-high weight. Another part is not worrying about denting the tank or scratching paint when you dump the bike.

Part of the appeal of an aftermarket plastic tank and cap is saving a little up-high weight. Another part is not worrying about denting the tank or scratching paint when you dump the bike.

Interesting...............but these are not the only reasons that I do not like plastic tanks on the DR..........keep guessing..........

Interesting...............but these are not the only reasons that I do not like plastic tanks on the DR..........keep guessing..........

did I miss something? is this a guessing game? what do I win?

I don't think plastic tanks are any lighter, they are pretty thick. Not much difference anyway?

mainly, my interest in a metal tank is avoiding having to remember to shut off the fuel when the bike sits. Anyone's expirience/problems with having a CV carb but then using a tank with a breather would be of interest to me.

because in Ontario, you can't pass DOT inspection with a plastic tank.

Sounds like BS to me, what if your bike comes stock with a plastic tank like many of them do? Do they have a list of bikes that come stock with a metal tank?

mainly, my interest in a metal tank is avoiding having to remember to shut off the fuel when the bike sits.

I am using the stock petcock with my IMS tank.

installing it was a much easier job than reworking a stock tank for more capacity.

This may be the best thing I've got from TT. Thanks, very much.

I need a bigger tank on the DR, but I hate the plastic options, dunno why, they just don't appeal to me.

I have a friend who is a tig welder. He has his own business and specializes in precision titanium and stainless work - aerospace and research stuff. He could do that tank job shown on ADV in an afternoon!

I never put it together that he could mod my DR tank like that. Now I see what can be done. Thanks for the inspiration!\

If you go down this route I would be interested in pics, I have no plans to do the same, just curious about the end results.

As to plastic tanks illegal in Ontario, yes they are, to my knowledge. Not saying it makes any sense but then again I am not saying it has to, this is Ontario after all. The home of the clean air program!!

p.s If the Provencal government says plastic tanks are illegal in Ontario why does Canadian Tire sell plastic jerry cans? Just a thought....

John

I worked in a bike shop in Ontario for a while a long time ago and their reasoning is that a plastic tank might break easier in a crash and create a potential fire hazard. I don't agree with it but that's their reasoning. As far as I know there are no bikes that are come street legal from the factory with a plastic tank, but i've been wrong before.

Most BMWs and Triumphs made in the last 10+ years have plastic tanks. Many modern cars and trucks also have plastic fuel tanks including my 1998 Dodge pickup. Plastic tanks have been in regular use in automotive applications for more than 20 years.

The old wives tale about plastic tanks not being legal for street use is nonsense. The determining factor (for OEM manufacturers) is getting DOT approval for the particular fuel tank design. They can make it out of whatever they want as long as they can get the DOT to say it's OK.

Aftermarket tanks are a gray area. They are typically not DOT approved. Then again, I don't know of any government agencies that would be checking for DOT approvals on your tank. It would be a tough job demonstrating that any given motorcycle tank did not carry approvals so how would such a rule be enforced?

Any motorcycle you buy used has to go to a licenced inspection agency so you can get insurance. If it's not the stock tank and it's plastic then it won't pass. If it's sold with a plastic tank new then it must have met the DOT criteria to be licenced for the road. I think the reasoning is for aftermarket tanks like clarke, ims and such. My clarke tank says right on it not DOT approved. I don't know the whole reasoning I just worked on the bikes. So it's not an old wives tale in Ontario. It's enforced by the inspection agency. Here where I live in BC different story, my clarke tank is fine and bikes don't have to be inspected when sold.

So it's not an old wives tale in Ontario. It's enforced by the inspection agency. .

The point I was making is that people keep repeating that "plastic tanks are not street legal". Which is just plain untrue. There are millions of plastic fuel tanks out on the road today.

When you have an inspection done in Ontario how do they know if the fuel tank is original or not? Seems to me they would have to have someone on hand who is a motorcycle parts expert. Seriously, if I show up on a MuZ Baghira or an Enfield 350 Bullet who is going to tell me if it does or does not have the original fuel tank? In my experience most government agency types don't even know which end of a motorcycle is the front.

I can believe some government agencies will try to make life difficult for us just because they can. I don't doubt that Ontario is particularly tough but how can they possibly enforce something like that? I suspect it would turn out to totally depend on the whim person signing the papers.

Why is it stamped on my tank "Not DOT Approved", if a police officer wanted to they could pull me off the road and legally. I understand there are millions of plastic tanks on the road but they are probably (for the most part) DOT approved and I don't think they're any less safe, hell mine is plastic and I feel safe. But if it's not DOT approved that's where they pull them off in Ontario. The shop i worked at was probably the most knowledgable place I've worked at for bikes, alright it's the only shop I've worked at..lol I'm not really disagreeing with you that's just how it worked in ON, and you're right it's another case of the govt trying to control everything. Here in south eastern BC the bike shops won't register a bike unless it comes from the factory street legal with a DOT stamp. Another case of control by the govt, in fact they're starting to pull bikes over and check them. Sad times indeed.